380R Roush vs 427R Roush?

03CobraBro

Established Member
My folks have a 380R Roush and my dad has been talking about a 427R lately that he's been looking at and he wanted my opinion on it. I rode over there today and its a very pretty blue color and IMO the interior is much nicer than the 380. Haven't decided if I liked the exterior as much yet though, but it deffinatly has a very muscular menacing stance to it.

Anyway, I'v been researching it as I do anything that captures my interest and the best E/T's I'v been able to find so far are in the mid 13's, posted by the rags, which are obviously not right given the fact a Mustang GT will run that stock. I was just wondering if anyone has more hands on experience with the 427R's and could give me an idea of where they would stand in the hands of a competent driver. I'm already aware of how well these cars handle based on what I know about the Stage 3 handling package so thats not an issue.

CobraKraiger

Know Not Anxiety Or Fear
Established Member
I had an article on the 427R and when they tested it it went 13.2's they said it was due to the stock tires and the stock tune being very limiting. I'm not sure how true it is but they said alot of it was the boost dropping in between shifts the article was in one of the 5.0 mustang and super fords magazines. Hope this was helpful.

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
go to www.fnsweet.com It is THE Roush resource website on the net. You will be able to ask any questions you may have from owners who own both. The obvious difference is in the bodystyle (99-04 & 05-up.) The 427R is a stripped down version of the Stage 3 (no upgraded suspension) but you can buy the upgrades for the Stage 3 to make it as powerful as the 427R (pulley & intake I believe) I personally would go for the Stage 3 and upgrade the power later down the road.

javsvt

Established Member
427R
13.2-13.5

12.4-12.8

Mine is a 2002 Stage 3 and it ran a 12.6 and I sucked at the track. The only mods I had was the pulley and the CAI. I think weight has something to do with it also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread