Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Turbos with big power numbers don't break crank snouts off.

3.4s break stock crank snouts off.

IMHO a 4.0 build on our engine without a double keyed BILLET Kellogg or equivalent billet crank will be a short lived and expensive experiment.

I'm going to say it right here and now, that stock crank is going to be history in a relatively short period of time. Even with a stock supported lower pulley.

JUST MY OPINION.
I'd start shopping billet cranks if I were you.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member

IMHO a 4.0 build on our engine without a double keyed Kellogg or equivalent billet crank will be a short lived and expensive experiment.

I'm going to say it right here and now, that stock crank is going to be history is a relatively short period of time. Even with a stock supported lower pulley.

JUST MY OPINION.

That is a good point. The 3.4L has been known to break a few snouts. I was looking at the 4.2L for my setup if the Ford GT heads work out. Never thought about this.

Matt 347

Established Member

IMHO a 4.0 build on our engine without a double keyed Kellogg or equivalent billet crank will be a short lived and expensive experiment.

I'm going to say it right here and now, that stock crank is going to be history is a relatively short period of time. Even with a stock supported lower pulley.

JUST MY OPINION.

Really? I've heard of a few breaking because it didn't have the factory cage on the stock lower, but I have not heard of them breaking with the factory lower. Are there any threads about this?

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'm holding out for the 4.6 Whipple and running the engine backward getting 24 gallons per mile financed using federal stimulus money. My only concern is snapping blower snouts.

yfzkevin

Established Member
I'm holding out for the 4.6 Whipple and running the engine backward getting 24 gallons per mile financed using federal stimulus money. My only concern is snapping blower snouts.

LMAO......I am sitting at work and cant stop laughing at that comment. Thanks for the laugh.

By the way, how many people are snapping the snout with a 4LB lower pulley and a 3.4L whipple. I am doing a 3.4 crusher and have a 4LB lower on the car so I am curious. I have a Kelogg crank in my car...not a stock crank. Should I be ok?

SlowSVT

Established Member
LMAO......I am sitting at work and cant stop laughing at that comment. Thanks for the laugh.

By the way, how many people are snapping the snout with a 4LB lower pulley and a 3.4L whipple. I am doing a 3.4 crusher and have a 4LB lower on the car so I am curious. I have a Kelogg crank in my car...not a stock crank. Should I be ok?

All factory OEM Terminator cranks are made by "Kellogg".

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thats about a 2k crank

True. What does it cost when a rebuild is needed when the crank snout breaks off of a stock forged crank?

I don't want to be a scare monger here, I just think with the rotating mass and resistance a 4.0 blower is likely to have, I would think most guys planning on running one would be running a billet crank.

I actually did not know that our OE forged cranks are sourced from Kellogg until re-reading this thread today. Thanks for that info.:rockon:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Really? I've heard of a few breaking because it didn't have the factory cage on the stock lower, but I have not heard of them breaking with the factory lower. Are there any threads about this?

Not that I've seen.

I could be completely full of $#!T.

It's pretty new, I doubt anyone has broken anything with one yet.

I would not be comfortable with a stock crank, that's just me.

I have ZERO tech or evidence to back my worries up.

Matt 347

Established Member
I thought it was more like 2800... Just sayin...

A 4.6L just isnt big enough to effectively use such a large blower. A 3.4 with a Crusher is more then what most people will ever use or need IMO.
You are entitled to your opinion. However, I am still going to try out my combo and see how far I can push it, since the 4.0 just came out. What would this world be without someone getting an idea and running with it and pushing the envelope?

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member

IMHO a 4.0 build on our engine without a double keyed BILLET Kellogg or equivalent billet crank will be a short lived and expensive experiment.

I'm going to say it right here and now, that stock crank is going to be history in a relatively short period of time. Even with a stock supported lower pulley.

JUST MY OPINION.

+1 if you want to waste $2k+

Stock cranks have gone 6s...the issue isn't because the crank isn't strong enough...it lies elsewhere, whether it is the lack of support or etc.

Wasting $2-3k on a billet crank is an EXPENSIVE band-aid that won't address the real issue at hand.

This is simply my opinion..from FACTS

edit: For a little extra security..you could get your crank cryo-treated and shotpeened..I've heard that makes them ridiculous. Stock cranks have held 1600hp and gone over 200mph in the 1/4

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread