4:10 swap

Taylors_Cobra

Established Member
im new to this forum but not to my previous vehicals forum(dodge dakota)

i own a 1996 cobra 32v

and ive had the car for about a year now and im very tired of the POS 2:73 gears that came stock with my car...so i bought a new set of 4:10's

me and my 2 bubbys of mine have been working at this all day from 6 to 2 in the morning(none of us have done this before) and we finnaly got things rolling and came up with a lil problem...

the compression sleave that goes on the pinion first before the bigger bearing was all ****ed up in the box and it way to late to get another one now so were waiting tell the mornign to get another...the only bit of info that i need is the torque specs on the bolt that is on the top of the pinion to crush the compression spacer!

thats guys!!!!

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
If you are using a crush sleeve it is a running torque you are looking for and you should use a pointer style torque wrench. It takes a lot of force to crush the sleeve but once it starts to crush it starts to preload the bearing and that is what you have to measure. I believe it is around 20ft/lb's running torque but it is a different spec for used bearings.

The factory gears are 3.27s. Good luck with your project.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
When I did mine, I had to put a whole lot of force on that pinion nut. I know it's not specific, but I believe it was something like 160 ft lbs or something. I think I did the bearing caps at 90 ft lbs, but I could be wrong. I just know that I'm a big guy and I had to work pretty hard to get that pinion nut torqued.

ARdoller

Established Member
when we did my gears, we used a hydraulic press. it may be a little excessive if you dont already have one and only you plan on doing your gears, but if you plan on doing other peoples' gears, then i would invest in one, theyre not very expensive.

Last edited:

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
If you are using a crush sleeve it is a running torque you are looking for and you should use a pointer style torque wrench. It takes a lot of force to crush the sleeve but once it starts to crush it starts to preload the bearing and that is what you have to measure. I believe it is around 20ft/lb's running torque but it is a different spec for used bearings.

The factory gears are 3.27s. Good luck with your project.

+1. I do not know the torque spec but the mechanic that did mine did it by feel. He'd tighten the pinion nut and feel for rotational resistance or drag. As far as the crush sleeve, compare it to your old on for thickness. I had 2 from Ford. The 1st would not crush. When we compared it, it was at least twice as thick as the original. The 2nd one worked fine.

Toasty

Established Member
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Mustang-Haynes-Automotive-Repair/dp/1563926768/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246375140&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Ford Mustang: 1994 thru 2004 (Hayne's Automotive Repair Manual): Ken Freund: Books[/ame]

stiffler197

Hollow Point Racing
Established Member
go to americanmuscle.com they have a tech section with an indepth write with illustrations

Taylors_Cobra

Established Member
well we got it all figured out

we got new crush sleeves the next mornign and started into it again....after a lil trial and error...we got it all done by feel...theres very little play and its all torqued back to the original specs...all in all it was the best thing i could have done

but i believe my speedo is off by 10 mph...from another forum and a local derby driver here in my town(that does alot of rear ends)...says that its normal from 3:27 gears to 4:10 t drop 10 mph...

now all i gotta figure out is how to fix that?

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
well we got it all figured out

we got new crush sleeves the next mornign and started into it again....after a lil trial and error...we got it all done by feel...theres very little play and its all torqued back to the original specs...all in all it was the best thing i could have done

but i believe my speedo is off by 10 mph...from another forum and a local derby driver here in my town(that does alot of rear ends)...says that its normal from 3:27 gears to 4:10 t drop 10 mph...

now all i gotta figure out is how to fix that?

go with the Dallas Mustang Speedcal

03DOHC

Established Member

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread