4:30 too much gear in a '03-'04 cobra?

svtcobra202

Flyers Fan
Established Member
I don't have a terminator, but will be adding the KB in a few weeks.

My car has 4:30 gears. Are any terminators running this gear? Is it streetable? I would hate ($$) to go back to stock or a higher ratio.

I run Nitto drag radials on the street.

Thanks

Mike C

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
the 4.30 is in his earlier model Cobra. My guess is that it helps bring in the tq sooner since its naturally aspirated. The girl down the street from me has a 5.0 gt built for drag racing with 4.80 gears.

3.55 is good for our cobras. I wouldn't change it unless you go with a larger diameter drag slick like a 29" on a live axle.

with a 4.30 you will also run out of gear in the 1/4 mile.

Last edited:

BAD03SVT

Established Member
with adding the blower its going to be close to running out of gear, besides his car gets to pull to 7k. in our cars a 3.73 might help and i only have those because the live axle...but really the 3.55 is the best

svtcobra202

Flyers Fan
Established Member
Yeah, the 4:30's are the gears to have on NA cobra, even 4:56. The 4:30's have been in since 2000. I don't plan on drag racing the car, just a street machine. I was hoping to hear from terminator owners who may have swaped gears to see if the car is streetable. I guess I will see how it goes and maybe swap to 3:55 or 3:73 later, I just hate to spend the money! I hope I dont have problem with traction in the 2-3 shift at speed. I know 1st will be even more worthless. I plan on adding a viper T-56 next driving season.

Thanks

Mike

Don03cobra

Established Member
this has been running thru my head. I have a good set of 4.30's in the shop that are begging to go in the 03 cobra...
If you think about it, the 03/04 cobra goes up to 55 mph (is that right) in 1st gear? thats crazy... if I had a set of 4.10's, I would put them in right away.. but 4.30's I have to think about.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Way too much gear.. unless you go REAL big on the pulley for the blower so that its still in its peak range at 7000rpm. 4:30 gears, KB and you want traction on a 2-3 shift.. that was funny!!! uhhhh...no way.

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
Since "I" have gears or at least have tried them, I can
give you an informed opinion-3.90's or 4.10's are FINE
for the street. I run 4.10's and I'm NOT overgeared on
the street. 6th gear even becomes much more useable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread