4.5 whipple dyno with ZR1 killer pulley

T2013gt5B

The reason to limit RPM to 7500 with a wet sump system is coming from a recommendation made to me by John Mihovetz. John did some extensive testing a number of years ago with an engine on a test stand with windows in the block to see what was happening to the oil of the engine. What he saw was anything above 7500 RPM and the oil started accumulating in areas in the block, instead of draining down into the oil pan. He said it was bad enough to cause the oil pump to start cavitating. He feels if you want 8500RPM that you need a dry sump oiling system with its multiple suction pumps to scavenge oil out of the engine. BIRDDOC's car was a dry sump that revved to 8500 for the shift points.

Thinking of BIRDDOC's car has anyone heard anything about Y2 Racing and his old car? Y2 is located in the Dallas TX suburbs anyone from that area hear what they're doing with that car?
Per my builder “Mihovetz” says the issue is the crank. Stock crank is only good to 7200. That’s because it isn’t center counter weighted like the 4.6 cranks. It had nothing to do with windage. Birddoc’s car has/had the Winberg crank since 2015 maybe longer. For example Voodoo is wet sump and spins to 8000+ with warranty.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Debate time!! Lmfao

This is called bench racing.

wink.gif

T2013gt5B

Really think so huh? Shifting gears with 20" white letter radials?

I'd bet large sums of money as pictured, you'd have no chance. Even at 750.
I mean it’s a street car. So yeah I assume you are probably on 20s or 19s as well. I don’t think it will be close. You are also probably heavier.

MG0h3

Established Member
I’d estimate a TT 10sp car would put a couple buses on a manual Whipple car at the same power 60-140

Have you even tried to put any power down with those tires?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

T2013gt5B

I’d estimate a TT 10sp car would put a couple buses on a manual Whipple car at the same power 60-140

3.08s going in next week so that should help.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
lets assume that 2650 and a kb 3.6 are roughly the same in potential output.

how do the two compare for stress on the crank if both are maxed out?
Good question.
According to the KB they take less power to turn but I know of more big twin screw cars breaking cranks than TVS cars. JDM double keyed my crank but over 1200hp/7200rpm the stock crank is stressed and the big twin screws can get you there faster.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

The variable with big power GT500s is driving and tires. But a turbo auto s550 is fast from a roll
-J

T2013gt5B

Good question.
According to the KB they take less power to turn but I know of more big twin screw cars breaking cranks than TVS cars. JDM double keyed my crank but over 1200hp/7200rpm the stock crank is stressed and the big twin screws can get you there faster.
-J
KB FOS

Bad Company

Established Member
Per my builder “Mihovetz” says the issue is the crank. Stock crank is only good to 7200. That’s because it isn’t center counter weighted like the 4.6 cranks. It had nothing to do with windage. Birddoc’s car has/had the Winberg crank since 2015 maybe longer. For example Voodoo is wet sump and spins to 8000+ with warranty.
All I know is what he told me, plus he stated the exact same thing to Shawn Fischer. I actually have a Winberg billet crankshaft in my engine, so I don't have to worry about snapping the crank snout off turning a bigger blower. I also know John uses Byrant for his shafts and I do know he does have something different added to them. I doubt John would tell me or another person why not to take the engine above a specific RPM with the exact same reason for each of us, while also telling us both how he found this out in the first place. These conversations between us were not at the same time and place they were two separate conversations at two different times with the same topic. A balanced engine..........is a balanced engine regardless of RPM.

The Voodoo engine has a different block compared to the 5.4 or 5.8 GT500 blocks and the differences in how oil parks itself in the block at high RPM I'm sure is different between the 5.2 Voodoo and the GT500 engines. Also the Voodoo is a flat plane crank so I'd be willing to bet the windage is significantly different which would cause a totally different situation in how oil parks itself in that engine effective changing how the oil moves back to the oil pan

Users who are viewing this thread