#4 lower pully question

quicksilverws7

Established Member
ok so i did a search and couldnt really figure out an answer to my question. i plan to put a #4 lower pully on tomorrow. iv done a few easy things like jdm cai, sbtb, easy stuff like that. how hard is it to change out my pully, i know i have everything that im going to need but im a little worried about doing this myself cause this is pretty much the first vehicle iv actually modded myself. would i have to drop the motor to actually get in there because it looks like a pretty tight space to be working in?

hyvltge

PSI
Established Member
You don't need to drop the motor. You will just need the allen bit and a good breaker bar because the stock pulley is really tight. You may need to use the lock up tool as well. If you gte stuck post up and I am sure someone will chime in. Good luck!!

txyaloo

Established Member
You won't need to drop the engine. If you're small, you may not even need to jack the front end up. RPM Outlet's instructions are pretty good.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/asp54blowerinstruction.htm

The biggest catch is the pulley is reverse threaded. So, you have to turn it to the right to loosen it. Some pulley's are on really freaking tight. I like to put my back on a wheel and give the breaker bar a good kick. They come loose almost every time that way. You can also put a jack under the breaker bar and use that to knock it loose.

Good luck with it!

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Yes u cannot put enough stress on the reverse threads.. Trust me you do not wanna tighten that bad boy up... i put a breaker bar on it while on the ground and jacket up the breaker bar.... as soon as it lifted the front end off the ground and broke free... Sounds like u broke it of but its cool... Remember it comes off as an assembly. DONT FORGET THAT.... Then you simply losen it by hand and put the new one on...

But it is so worth the effort when u put the little pedal to the carpet :)

Alex

this is how we did it on buds lightning

Last edited:

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
Eat your Wheaties and be sure you lock up the converter. Mine was way tighter that I thought. Don't forget the reverse thread.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
make sure you dont mix up the screws that mount the hub to the balancer with the ones that mount the ring to the hub (if your using a 2 piece pulley).

Users who are viewing this thread