4 piston calipers?

Stupercharged

Established Member
whos got em? what brand, how much, and where you bought them from, and opinions on how great they are would be appreciated! im looking at either the 00R brakes in the front or the brembo gran turismo kit. they are both about the same price and i believe they are both 4 piston so some1 correct me if im wrong please. and anyone know of any decent priced 4 piston rear sets?

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
whos got em? what brand, how much, and where you bought them from, and opinions on how great they are would be appreciated! im looking at either the 00R brakes in the front or the brembo gran turismo kit. they are both about the same price and i believe they are both 4 piston so some1 correct me if im wrong please. and anyone know of any decent priced 4 piston rear sets?

Brembo GT kit just for the front + SS lines costs thousands.
I know owning 4 pot GT' Brembo's.
Expensive...

Stock Bembo 2 pot Cobra brakes work just fine until you test them going hard at the track.
Jeff

Ford has never been know for great brakes. I must say the Bembo Cobra '03-'04 2 pot Brembos are the best Ford brakes I've ever tried.
Four pots are something to buy if you are a good open tracker/road racer. Other then that, they, "look purdy..:)"

Keep the stocker and put $$ into usable mods.
Jeff

Last edited:

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
I have the CobraR kit w/ SS lines. Great kit, quick change pads, did give me a fit the first time I bedded the pads with the slotted rotors. I will get the occasional squeak the day after I wash the car. ??

Bought it on one of the forums used for ~$600. They needed some work, cleaned, painted them and new decals..
HPIM1575S.jpg

HPIM1578.jpg

Last edited:

Stupercharged

Established Member
well i would like 2-piece rotors and want something to match both aesthetically and performance wise. the brembo GT kit is $1500 online but thats with 1-piece rotors and i found the 00R brakes for $900. 1st question is are the 00R brembos 4 piston because if not ill just save for the GT kit and wait on the 2-piece rotors. 2nd question is does anyone know where i can a decent set of 4 piston rears?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
well i would like 2-piece rotors and want something to match both aesthetically and performance wise. the brembo GT kit is $1500 online but thats with 1-piece rotors and i found the 00R brakes for $900. 1st question is are the 00R brembos 4 piston because if not ill just save for the GT kit and wait on the 2-piece rotors. 2nd question is does anyone know where i can a decent set of 4 piston rears?

Yes the 00R Brembos are 4 piston. Talk to Bruce (ac427cobra) for 2 piece Rotors.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member

As I said in the other thread, 4 pistons for the rear aren't available because they will be unusable. The stock rear calipers are all you're ever going to need in the back. A 13" rear conversion kit, with a big maybe thrown in there, is the most you should do to upgrade the rear's contribution to brake force. Even still, you are really doing that to increase rotor mass for heat distribution. The pad compound will likely need to be toned down if you do larger rotors.

Oh, to clear up any confusion in the thread, the stock Cobra calipers are PBR, the rotors are Brembo.

Stupercharged

Established Member
3dglasses, how do the 00R brakes compare to the stock termi? i think ill be getting this kit and want to know how well it works and what to expect? how did they give you a fit the first time you bedded the new pads?

mu22stang, how would 4 piston rears be too much for track if you have the right suspension with sticky tires and adequate downforce to keep your wheels on the ground? or are you just saying a stock termi with 4 pistons wont work? i have never done a track day but i watch them and i dont see how a properly setup car would not benefit from 4 piston rears as well as fronts.

Last edited:

mu22stang

Established Member
mu22stang, how would 4 piston rears be too much for track if you have the right suspension with sticky tires and adequate downforce to keep your wheels on the ground? or are you just saying a stock termi with 4 pistons wont work? i have never done a track day but i watch them and i dont see how a properly setup car would not benefit from 4 piston rears as well as fronts.

Because it is such a front heavy car with such front biased braking. Furthermore, the stronger you make the fronts, the less desirable rear brake strength becomes. Some actually find themselves continually reducing the aggressiveness of the rear pad to keep from frying their rear brakes and/or swapping ends. It's a Mustang, so you will never be able to fully counter this condition with a properly setup suspension. It's the nature of the beast.

Think of it this way though: you’ll spend less money on parts and pads by never upgrading the rear brake. Throw on some stainless steel brake lines, and tune the pads with your front brake combo for balance.

Oh, and to answer your question about the 2-piece rears, Bruce’s units will weigh the same as the stock 11.65" rotors. So, the 13” upgraded rear rotors increase the heat dissipation mass without increasing total mass.

Last edited:

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
3dglasses, how do the 00R brakes compare to the stock termi? i think ill be getting this kit and want to know how well it works and what to expect? how did they give you a fit the first time you bedded the new pads?

I had clicking in the drivers front until I beveled the front Hawk HPS pads and properly bedded them (8 * 60-10 braking then 15 minutes at speed to cool). No issues with stopping power, just a little clicking on one side as the slotted rotors bedded.

I have heated them to slight fading at times, but they stabilize again very quickly. The stockers would start to fade and just get worse and worse. I'm getting a vent kit to keep them cool. :banana:

I have to agree on keeping the stock rears. I have NEVER locked up the rears. Front brake bias keeps the car straight. It is better that way.:rockon:

I'm running AutoX with the local vette guys this weekend so I'll let you know. Last time we hot lapped at the end of the day and my stock brakes were smoking enough for me to get out of line and do a little cool off in the paddock area.:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

A four piston rear caliper would throw the brake bias off so far on your car you'd be afraid to hit the brake pedal! :idea:

Some people think Mustangs have good brakes. They have 'decent' brakes and I'm using that term loosley. People that think Mustangs have good brakes have never experienced a car with good brakes.

Mustangs are heavy cars and they do very well with a Y2KR four pot Brembo caliper upgrade. That is a very nice upgrade for the vast majority of owners.

If you're one of those guys that has to push the limit and really want to make a Mustang stop, you upgrade to the 14" Brembo Gran Turismo kit. Now, you're going to have a Mustang with good brakes! :-D

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Will the 14 inch Brembo kit fit with a 17 inch wheel? If my memory is correct, an 18 inch wheel is the minimum size. Bruce, any opinion on the 6-piston Wilwood ultralight kit?

Thanks, Rod

Stupercharged

Established Member
ya i was thinking about 14" but i want to stay with 17" rims so im just gona go 2-piece rotor. im trying to lose some unsprung weight without spending a fortune, hence the 2-piece rotors and ill b going with a nice set of lightweight wheels in the future as well. i hope bruce gets those 13" rears out sometime! anyone know of any other slotted only 2-piece rotors?

3dglasses, ill be waiting to hear how the brakes work! i plan on buying these so i hope they work good!

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Will the 14 inch Brembo kit fit with a 17 inch wheel? If my memory is correct, an 18 inch wheel is the minimum size. Bruce, any opinion on the 6-piston Wilwood ultralight kit?

Thanks, Rod
Rod:

You'll need 18" wheels to clear the 14" brakes.

Sorry I don't have any experience with the Wilwood kit. My only concern would be replacement rotors because they most likely (no sure though) have a different offset?!!?!

ya i was thinking about 14" but i want to stay with 17" rims so im just gona go 2-piece rotor. im trying to lose some unsprung weight without spending a fortune, hence the 2-piece rotors and ill b going with a nice set of lightweight wheels in the future as well. i hope bruce gets those 13" rears out sometime! anyone know of any other slotted only 2-piece rotors?

3dglasses, ill be waiting to hear how the brakes work! i plan on buying these so i hope they work good!

You will also reduce a substantial amount of unsprung weight going to the Y2KR four pot Brembo caliper. :idea:

stangkid

Established Member
I have the Saleen kit w/ SS lines. Its a great kit, quick change pads, I think its the same as the Y2KR setup it just has Saleen instead of Brembo.

I bought the kit on my local forum for $300

SaleenBrakes.jpg

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Really?!?! Is that in comparison with the PBR?

Yes, the PBR has a heavy iron caliper and caliper bracket. The Y2KR caliper is aluminum!

I can't give you a weight comparision because I don't have a PBR caliper. I do have some Y2KR's I could weigh though.

mu22stang

Established Member
Yes, the PBR has a heavy iron caliper and caliper bracket. The Y2KR caliper is aluminum!

I can't give you a weight comparision because I don't have a PBR caliper. I do have some Y2KR's I could weigh though.

Hmm. I always though the PBR caliper was aluminum and just the bracket was iron - learn something new everyday. If you measure the weight, let me know your findings. But, don't sweat it Bruce. It's an added bonus the Brembo's are lighter as I was going this direction anyhow.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hmm. I always though the PBR caliper was aluminum and just the bracket was iron - learn something new everyday. If you measure the weight, let me know your findings. But, don't sweat it Bruce. It's an added bonus the Brembo's are lighter as I was going this direction anyhow.

Correct. DOH!! :bash: Caliper is AL but the bracket is iron! Sorry, brain fart! Regardless, I'm sure there's a weight savings.

Stupercharged

Established Member
thanks for all the info guys! bruce if its not too much trouble id like to know how much the 00R brembos weigh so when i take my stock pbr's off i can weigh those and figure out the difference. does anyone have know if all this unsprung weight savings will affect track times?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
thanks for all the info guys! bruce if its not too much trouble id like to know how much the 00R brembos weigh so when i take my stock pbr's off i can weigh those and figure out the difference. does anyone have know if all this unsprung weight savings will affect track times?

A bareY2KR caliper weighs 6.9#. The attaching hardware (two pad retaining pins and one anti-rattle spring) for the pads weigh .14# and a pair of barely used pads weigh 1.81#. Total comes to 8.85# per loaded caliper.

Users who are viewing this thread