4 post lift regular maintenance questions

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Your metal shavings are probably coming from the plates that the cables ride on. We have yearly inspections done on our lifts at my shop and they never live anything. They just check the lifts functionality and check the torque of the nuts that hold the lift down. I would recommend getting with a lift repair company and have them inspect your lifts.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Your metal shavings are probably coming from the plates that the cables ride on. We have yearly inspections done on our lifts at my shop and they never live anything. They just check the lifts functionality and check the torque of the nuts that hold the lift down. I would recommend getting with a lift repair company and have them inspect your lifts.
This is where I think it's coming from as well. The lift has a 5 year warranty, I'll probably talk to advantage lift about it, but can't have them inspect it until spring/summer. That is if they need the car off during inspection or repairs.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

railroad

Established Member
Bend pack cables can be routed incorrectly, causing the cables to pull across a guide or cable guard.
I just read where a guy bought a used one and found cable wear from this issue.
I just put my 9000xl together and paid attention to avoid this.
Not any use yet, still lack running air for latch locks and cleaning up for access.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Bend pack cables can be routed incorrectly, causing the cables to pull across a guide or cable guard.
I just read where a guy bought a used one and found cable wear from this issue.
I just put my 9000xl together and paid attention to avoiding this.
Not any use yet, still lack running air for latch locks and cleaning up for access.
Mine is an Advantage Lift and I had them install it. But anything is possible.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I got a reply back from advantage lift. Just waiting to see what they say about the metal shavings.

Hello,

We do not lubricate the cables anymore. They used to when there weren’t grease fittings within the fittings. They stopped that once that was updated so you don’t have to worry about lubricating the cables. That is an older manual, which I apologize for.

Thank you,

John Frealing

Customer Service

OX1

Established Member
Mine is an Advantage Lift and I had them install it. But anything is possible.

One of my 4 posts is an Advantage. So far the only issue is the small wheels on secondary locks squeaking. My main pulleys are quiet and unlike my cheaper 4 posts, cables are not lightly eating into pulley's.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
One of my 4 posts is an Advantage. So far the only issue is the small wheels on secondary locks squeaking. My main pulleys are quiet and unlike my cheaper 4 posts, cables are not lightly eating into pulley's.
Do you put grease on the cable pulleys? I believe that's where my metal shavings are coming from. After showing them the pulleys they said I should put some red lithium grease on the pulleys.

I'm not sure if I need a specific red lithium grease? I plan on just smearing some on.
180902d952949622dfcac99179fe6456.jpg

OX1

Established Member
Do you put grease on the cable pulleys? I believe that's where my metal shavings are coming from. After showing them the pulleys they said I should put some red lithium grease on the pulleys.

I'm not sure if I need a specific red lithium grease? I plan on just smearing some on.
180902d952949622dfcac99179fe6456.jpg

So I checked my pulleys. There is very light scribe marks from cable. I have ZERO metal particles coming off pulley's though. FYI, I've raised/lowered maybe 100, 120 times over about 2 years. I do not lube my cables with anything on any of my lifts.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So I checked my pulleys. There is very light scribe marks from cable. I have ZERO metal particles coming off pulley's though. FYI, I've raised/lowered maybe 100, 120 times over about 2 years. I do not lube my cables with anything on any of my lifts.
I've only raised and lowered mine maybe 20-30 times.

@JaCobro I bought some of that stuff. Advantage does not recommend using it on the pulleys. The said it's too sticky. I have some 3oz tubes of that stuff on the way for the zerk fittings though.

Users who are viewing this thread