4 post lift regular maintenance questions

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys,

I noticed that I have little specs of metal around the column base areas on my advantage lift. It was purchased less than two years ago.

Reading the owners manual it says to lubricate the posts periodically with a auto wax spray to keep it sliding freely. I've been doing this.

It also states to lubricate the cables periodically, but doesn't state what to use. Doing a little research, some have used gear oil, but I don't want that lingering smell in my shop.

Others said to use a chain/cable spray. Any advice on what kind to use? I figured I'd spray down a rag, then apply it to all the cables.

I appreciate the help!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
red and tacky sounds like it might attract/hold dirt.

Personally I'd call the lift company and see what they recommend.
I did email them. Probably call them early next week if I don't get a reply.

Better to be safe than sorry.

@PhoenixM3 for some reason I'm kinda bad like that with some stuff other than cars...

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you specifically use it on lift cables?

It’s like franks red hot. I put that shit on everything. Lol

Ok not really. I wait till things start making noise before I lube them like normal people. Haha. Joking aside. If you want to properly maintain your lift like you are “supposed” to. Then I would follow manufacturer recommendations and clean and lube every 3 months or so. Nothing is gonna keep dirt off obviously. That’s why you “clean” it first. Lol

If you don’t want to use gear lube. Graphite lube is also recommended for the cables. Maybe give that a try.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member

This is basically what bendpak recommends other than gear oil. Zero experience with it. So I don’t know what it smells like. If I was in your position being it’s a personal use lift. I would try this stuff.

beau t

Established Member
Blaster 11 oz. Long-Lasting Chain and Cable Lubricant-16-CCL - The Home ...

This is normally what i use - - search cable/pulley lubricant - it will pull up more than you want to research lol.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I did email them. Probably call them early next week if I don't get a reply.

Better to be safe than sorry.

@PhoenixM3 for some reason I'm kinda bad like that with some stuff other than cars...

I’ll add that the cables probably Don’t need much lube at all and I’m in a pretty dry environment….. There’s my rational for not maintaining stuff, but now I’ll dig out the lift’s manual and look for tasks to complete….

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I’ve had my bendpak four post for 10 years and done nothing. Literally nothing. I use it mainly for storage though. How often do you use it?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve had my bendpak four post for 10 years and done nothing. Literally nothing. I use it mainly for storage though. How often do you use it?
I don't use mine that often. I always have a car on it, but not up in the air all the time.

MG0h3

Established Member
I was an auto tech for @6yrs before switching professions.

Up and down all day long on a 2 post and I honestly don’t recall doing a damn thing to it.

Last couple yrs I had my own lift and still, nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I was an auto tech for @6yrs before switching professions.

Up and down all day long on a 2 post and I honestly don’t recall doing a damn thing to it.

Last couple yrs I had my own lift and still, nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Yeah, mine serves almost exclusively as a parking spot so its only been cycled a couple dozen times.

olympic

Established Member
Mine has grease zerks on the pullies that I service like once a year. Other than that I wasn't aware anything else was needed. I can't see why the cables need to be lubricated because they aren't sliding over anything. I'd worry about them collecting dirt if they are covered in oil.

Users who are viewing this thread