4 valve engine rebuild help

sgtboylan

Frankenstang creator
Established Member
So i'm completely ready to drop my wap 4.6 4v from an 04 mach 1 into my 2000... i'm going w/ a vortech v2 T-trim supercharger pushing it around 16psi w/ an fmic... So to do that i'm gonna forge everything and rebuild. i've never rebuilt a mod motor, but my buddies are professional mechanics, i know my way around, have the 2004 mustang workshop manual and a really good write up... so i'm just wondering who has done this rebuild before and what were your big issues in the process? The list of stuff is as follows : 18cc dished manley pistons, eagle I beams, stock forged crank, clevite main and rod bearings, arp side bolts, and an mmr 7qt pre tapped oil pan... i'm still shopping for head gaskets and head studs... I know i should go fel pro and arp... but its soo damn expensive... i'm not one to complain about it and I know if I skimp on just one thing, that is what will fail... any suggestions on that? Like where to find them for a decent price, or a different brand? Also, the spark plug thing is makin my head spin.... so many out there... what are you running and what gap is best? Plugs wont be much more than 100 bucks on the top end, so what is best? Also, am i missing anything? Thanks in advance, -Dylan :beer:

Storm728

Established Member
I spun two rod bearings in my mach and am rebuilding it. I went with all felpro gaskets (i work at an autoparts store so i get a pretty decent deal.) make sure to get the heads machined, i got the head bolts, drivers side head gasket, 2 connecting rods and rod bolts from the ford dealer. i got the main bolt set by ford racing from summit. my crank had to be redone .30 on the rod journals and .20 on the main journals, i got mahle clevite rod and main bearings (very good shit from what i hear.) about to open the oil pump to see if the reason why i spun the bearing was because of my throttle getting stuck for 10 seconds and the oil not being able to lubricate the system or if a gear broke inside. i also went with ngk ix iridiums. just take your sweet ass time, im being SUPER nit picky about everything and making sure it gets done right so this shit doesnt happen again. also before it starts going back together, get some brake cleaner or similar item and make sure everything is 100% free of foreign debris. i dont know if you have started but doing this on jacks is a ****ing joke compared to using a lift, if you have access do yourself a huge favor, i took the motor out from the top, took me about a week to barely start on getting things off the motor while working on it everyday to ~5 hours on the lift to drop the tranny and pull the motor as well as taking the oil pan off and checking all the rods

Storm728

Established Member
So i'm completely ready to drop my wap 4.6 4v from an 04 mach 1 into my 2000... i'm going w/ a vortech v2 T-trim supercharger pushing it around 16psi w/ an fmic... So to do that i'm gonna forge everything and rebuild. i've never rebuilt a mod motor, but my buddies are professional mechanics, i know my way around, have the 2004 mustang workshop manual and a really good write up... so i'm just wondering who has done this rebuild before and what were your big issues in the process? The list of stuff is as follows : 18cc dished manley pistons, eagle I beams, stock forged crank, clevite main and rod bearings, arp side bolts, and an mmr 7qt pre tapped oil pan... i'm still shopping for head gaskets and head studs... I know i should go fel pro and arp... but its soo damn expensive... i'm not one to complain about it and I know if I skimp on just one thing, that is what will fail... any suggestions on that? Like where to find them for a decent price, or a different brand? Also, the spark plug thing is makin my head spin.... so many out there... what are you running and what gap is best? Plugs wont be much more than 100 bucks on the top end, so what is best? Also, am i missing anything? Thanks in advance, -Dylan :beer:

also if youre ever up in the orange county area i could hook you up with a lot of items you need

sgtboylan

Frankenstang creator
Established Member
@storm 728: I'm in orange county fairly often. What kinda stuff do you have available? And thanks for the advice.

@dark knight: I ended up getting that kit. But why did you have to use it twice? Lol.

Also, I started tear down Tuesday. More getting done today. My build thread is also in the navy 1 folder if you wanna check it out. Thanks again

Storm728

Established Member
@storm 728: I'm in orange county fairly often. What kinda stuff do you have available? And thanks for the advice.

@dark knight: I ended up getting that kit. But why did you have to use it twice? Lol.

Also, I started tear down Tuesday. More getting done today. My build thread is also in the navy 1 folder if you wanna check it out. Thanks again

anything you could get at an autoparts store

sgtboylan

Frankenstang creator
Established Member
made some more progress tonight. got all of the accessories off and the exhaust manifolds (which were a p.i.t.a.), valve covers are off and getting prepped for paint. engine is on a stand and tomorrow morning its "off with their (its) heads". lol sorry. i had to.

Hawwk11

Established Member

Sounds like fun man. Just curious as to what caused you to rebuild?

sgtboylan

Frankenstang creator
Established Member
i'm just rebuilding to handle the boost. it still had the stock internals. tore everything down to the bare block yesterday and everything was looking great w/ the stock internals.

E2Dac

Mystic
Established Member
im bout to do the same build for my first time . did you run into any problems i should look for ?

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Step up that compression ratio, there's no reason to be that low. And you plan on paying 100 for plugs? Ngk tr6 gapped at .029, and you can buy 3 sets for 100 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread