400 RWHP NA build

poisoned apple

Established Member
5ebcc76fbcb0715575e5862e28cfa4b8.jpg

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
great numbers.

the only thing that confuses me is you made 494rwhp @ 7500 on an engine dyno, with no accessories. now on a mustang chasis dyno you made 441rwhp at 7300rpm? 40rwhp difference seems a bit down. no?

poisoned apple

Established Member
great numbers.

the only thing that confuses me is you made 494rwhp @ 7500 on an engine dyno, with no accessories. now on a mustang chasis dyno you made 441rwhp at 7300rpm? 40rwhp difference seems a bit down. no?

The 494 was at 8k and at the crank with stock throttle body.
441 was at 7200 at the wheel with accufab TB. So numbers are in Sync with each other I believe. Either way, facts are facts

1WVCAT

Established Member
great numbers.

Not exactly!! You have accessory drag on the engine in the car that is not on the engine dyno as well as drivetrain loss thru the drivetrain to the wheels. Obviously according to the dyno chart, the pull was stopped before it was able to reach peak HP.

It has done very well and I expect there is a little more left in it still. May be time to stepup to that stand alone ignition.

Last edited:

poisoned apple

Established Member
Not exactly!! You have accessory drag on the engine in the car that is not on the engine dyno as well as drivetrain loss thru the drivetrain to the wheels. Obviously according to the dyno chart, the pull was stopped before it was able to reach peak HP.

It has done very well and I expect there is a little more left in it still. May be time to stepup to that stand alone ignition.

Thanks a lot!! I could be at 460-470 up in the upper 7k range! Maybe one day.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member

that's what i mean. i would imagine a 491hp motor with no accessories would make closer to 400rwhp when installed in the car with the accessories attached, and not spun to peak HP.

it's an impressive motor for sure. just trying to make sense of the dyno numbers, since it's not very often that we see a motor dyno'd out of the car and then dyno'd again in the car. generally we're taking dynojet rwhp numbers and adding 15-18% to estimate crank hp.

1WVCAT

Established Member
that's what i mean. i would imagine a 491hp motor with no accessories would make closer to 400rwhp when installed in the car with the accessories attached, and not spun to peak HP.

it's an impressive motor for sure. just trying to make sense of the dyno numbers, since it's not very often that we see a motor dyno'd out of the car and then dyno'd again in the car. generally we're taking dynojet rwhp numbers and adding 15-18% to estimate crank hp.

Its possible it may have picked up some power due to airflow with the addition of the Blade throttle body also. So, there was some change difference between the engine dyno and wheel dyno as well.

How much it might have been worth is really unknown at this point.

But as you say, impressive non the less.

With a manual car the drivetrain losses are likely around 13%. So its certainly in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

poisoned apple

Established Member
Its possible it may have picked up some power due to airflow with the addition of the Blade throttle body also. So, there was some change difference between the engine dyno and wheel dyno as well.

Exactly why I mentioned it. I and my engine builder believe it made a big difference.

I will Dyno jet and let you know those numbers as well.

recordbreaker5

suck-push-bang-blow
Established Member

With a manual car the drivetrain losses are likely around 13%. So its certainly in the neighborhood.

Speaking on behalf of Zack about the numbers on the engine dyno, we did about 15 pulls on the motor. Trying to figure out what the motor wanted and where it was making power. My main concern wasn't with the overall power it made, but to make sure everything on the motor was good. Checking for leaks, seeing what the oil and filter looked like after a few pulls. After verifying that all was well there, we then went on to tune it up a little bit. I personally don't rely on numbers, though I know the general public does. The engine dyno was actually just recal'd this past Tuesday because everything that has been going on it was reading lower than expected for multiple engines that have been on there. I personally expected around 525hp on the dyno with the stock TB. I knew to begin with it needed more TB and that it was way undersized. The FR500 plenum needs to be bigger, which a C intake actually has more and would be better but it is what it is. I just wanted a healthy motor to come off the dyno and then be transfered to the owner. So I'm not overly surprised with the numbers it made on the chassis dyno. With a computer that can read to 8K RPM, a spacer for the plenum, TB, and race gas, I have no doubts that it would make over 500whp.

1WVCAT

Established Member
Speaking on behalf of Zack about the numbers on the engine dyno, we did about 15 pulls on the motor. Trying to figure out what the motor wanted and where it was making power. My main concern wasn't with the overall power it made, but to make sure everything on the motor was good. Checking for leaks, seeing what the oil and filter looked like after a few pulls. After verifying that all was well there, we then went on to tune it up a little bit. I personally don't rely on numbers, though I know the general public does. The engine dyno was actually just recal'd this past Tuesday because everything that has been going on it was reading lower than expected for multiple engines that have been on there. I personally expected around 525hp on the dyno with the stock TB. I knew to begin with it needed more TB and that it was way undersized. The FR500 plenum needs to be bigger, which a C intake actually has more and would be better but it is what it is. I just wanted a healthy motor to come off the dyno and then be transfered to the owner. So I'm not overly surprised with the numbers it made on the chassis dyno. With a computer that can read to 8K RPM, a spacer for the plenum, TB, and race gas, I have no doubts that it would make over 500whp.

I'm in total agreement with your statement.

I believe the wheel dyno demonstrates the power that the car is making. I also agree total power numbers are not as important as the average power numbers (Power thru the curve).

The work and parts selection that both of you decided on and went with ended with a very potent combination. In the end that is what matters.

Congratulations to both of you on a great build.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I knew to begin with it needed more TB and that it was way undersized. The FR500 plenum needs to be bigger, which a C intake actually has more and would be better but it is what it is. .

I've seen 500rwhp engines with FR500 intakes gain no power with the addition of a 1" and 2" spacer. The C intake would absolutely kill power production at 6400.

In most cases you can take the superflow engine dyno graph, reduce its numbers by 15% and get the rwhp on a dynojet. The MD dyno is a bit different though and produces a curve with a different shape and peaks.

Great power regardless of dyno type.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread