426 Hemi-interesting from Don Garlits

spinscan

Established Member
392 vs. 426
Due to my close relationship with Chrysler, I was well aware of the development work on the new 426 Hemi long before it was public knowledge. Prior to the release of the engine, Chrysler sent me five complete crated Hemis. Swamp Rat VIII was the first 426 car we ran, and Connie Swingle was driving for me at the time. We struggled for two years with the 426 and couldn’t get out of the 8-second zone at 192 mph. Conversely, people who were running the old 392 were in the mid-7s at 214 by now. We weren’t the only ones having the problem; the Ramchargers, and just about everyone else, were locked in the 8s struggling with the 426. With the 392, you ran 34 degrees of timing; 35 degrees would burn a cylinder, so we were running the 426 at 34 degrees, just like the 392.

In 1966, we were racing at National Trail Raceway near Columbus, Ohio, and could only run 190 mph. On our way to the next race at Rockford, Illinois, I made up my mind to run the engine at 40 degrees, blow it up, and put a 392 back into the car. At 40 degrees, the car went 7.55 at 214. I figured I’d go to 50 degrees and grenade it for sure—it went 7.40 at 219! We had found that the secret to the 426 was fuel volume and lots of spark advance. With the stock Chrysler aluminum heads, we went 6.77 at 222 mph; with worked heads, a Keith Black 3/8-inch stroker crank and 30 percent blower drive, we could run 6.15 at 243. We were showing 1,600-1,700 hp and turning the motor in excess of 8,000 rpm, and we were still using the stock block, exhaust valves, and rocker arms and shafts.

—Don Garlits, abridged from Mopar Muscle, Vol. 1, No. 2

spinscan

Established Member
Nvr_Spds said:
Damn, makes me want a Hemi even MORE!! Wish i could afford one for our 68 Roadrunner.

I had a 69 Roadrunner but alas, I only had the 383. Wish I still had the car though.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Hemi's rule. The 66 Dodge Charger Hemi my dad sold a few months back was the shit. Powerful, powerful, engine. It never did run just right though. They are a hard engine to get tuned in and hard to take to a shop because you get the "WOW I've heard about these but I've never seen one in person before".

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
TTA Dan said:
Sorry but they were not "all that" on the streets in the late 60's - early 70's :rollseyes :p
True, true. My dad out ran one in his 69 Mach 1 428 CJ he bought new back in the day. He didn't beat it by much just enough to pull back in front of it.

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Really????

TTA Dan said:
Sorry but they were not "all that" on the streets in the late 60's - early 70's :rollseyes :p

I had a '65 Dodge A990 (race Hemi) ...ran 10.75/132 with only open headers & slicks. I drove it on the street. Did you have anything faster?

Street Hemi's were turds :xpl:

TTA Dan

Established Member
back in the late 60s early 70's they were basically 13 sec cars :bored: ... of course ya had faster and slower cars ... now a lil V6 turbo will kill your hemi and get 20 mph :p Never mind a new Cobra with a little work !! :pepper: :pop:

Users who are viewing this thread