44 K miles - no mods motor F***ed

NC Cobra

Established Member
My 2003 Cobra was NEVER raced, NEVER modded, NEVER abused, every service done. Daily driver of a 52 year old. Could have been a Taurus for the way it was driven. I start getting a rough idel so I take it in thinking it has a bad coil or plug. When I go back they tell me I need a new motor. No compression in one cylinder. They do not tear down bottom ends. Just replace the motor. I am absolutely speachless. Somebody please tell me I am having a nightmare.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
If the motor is toast, there's no way in hell I'd put a stocker back in there.
It would be cheaper to have one built.

I find it hard to believe that it let go at only 44K miles and it had zero mods...not
saying it didn't happen...just that it's extremely odd. Was it tuned? Maybe someone
botched the tune real bad?

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
That is unbelievable!!!! I am also curious of the explanation the dealer gave you. Sorry to hear about that man. That really sucks.

ptrfree

The problem cobra
Established Member
NC Cobra said:
My 2003 Cobra was NEVER raced, NEVER modded, NEVER abused, every service done. Daily driver of a 52 year old. Could have been a Taurus for the way it was driven. I start getting a rough idel so I take it in thinking it has a bad coil or plug. When I go back they tell me I need a new motor. No compression in one cylinder. They do not tear down bottom ends. Just replace the motor. I am absolutely speachless. Somebody please tell me I am having a nightmare.

Mine had simular issues, after a leakdown, determained it was a burnt exhaust valve..It had 37K on it. I would take it some place else and have a leak down done and go from there. headwork is far cheaper than an engine. IMO.
Lee

AllVenom

Established Member
SA SNAKE said:
Get prices for a built motor they will be cheaper and much better!

+1 to snake and unit for this advice...

Do not let them take you for almost 10 grand to put a new one in there...

Blaine

Established Member
2003 Cobra. You had bad coolant flow in your heads to start + add in the fact your pistons are crap and can't withstand high heat + the small piston to valve clearance = recipe for disaster. All the engines are going to go early. No matter how your drive them. Just one long trip from St. Louis to DC at 80mph killed mine. No hard driving.

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
Blaine said:
2003 Cobra. You had bad coolant flow in your heads to start + add in the fact your pistons are crap and can't withstand high heat + the small piston to valve clearance = recipe for disaster. All the engines are going to go early. No matter how your drive them. Just one long trip from St. Louis to DC at 80mph killed mine. No hard driving.
thats sounds a little unbelievable... i drive mine several hours at a time cant imagine that causing a problem. i am sure for tested for that one.... didnt they run at redline for 24 hours on a stand?

Hooked

leadfoot
Established Member
Call SVT BEFORE you do anything else.Tell them the situation.
Once some one else gets involved they will NOT help you.

If that doesn't work ,Find the FORD complaint line.NOT customer service.File a complaint against Ford,not the dealer.

My tranny went out at 52,000 miles.Been there done that.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Are these motors Phuking time bombs or what?

What is going on with the 03/04 Cobra motors. I'm seeing posts with multiple engines failures. There seems to be no rhyme or reason whether the cars are tuned or stock tunes? Is it time to dump this bitch before it breaks?????????????????????? :mj:

Blaine

Established Member
mobius said:
thats sounds a little unbelievable... i drive mine several hours at a time cant imagine that causing a problem. i am sure for tested for that one.... didnt they run at redline for 24 hours on a stand?

Keep your fingers crossed. There is a few that will get away without having problems with their heads, but there are thousands who didn't. THe FACT is they don't flow enough coolant. Why would Ford have a TSB for something that wasn't a problem? And why would they completely revise the heads.... TWICE. :read: It is such a problem that SVT at the moment has the heads on back order because some many heads are needing to be replaced.

And your pistons they are crap they will hold for a while at your HP rating, but not forever. They are only good on a stock Cobra.

My head problem came around at 32K on the odometer.

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
mobius said:

Running an engine on a stand does not accurately produce the stress and loads created by motivating a 3800lb car. That being said, I had my car on several long trips without a hiccup.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Blaine said:

You mean piston-to-wall clearance, right? The Zollner pistons aren't all that bad. It's the tight clearance that produces too much friction/heat when the pistons swell under load, causing them to bite into the cylinder wall.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
zinc03svt said:
What is going on with the 03/04 Cobra motors. I'm seeing posts with multiple engines failures. There seems to be no rhyme or reason whether the cars are tuned or stock tunes? Is it time to dump this bitch before it breaks?????????????????????? :mj:

Just remember that bad news travels 3 times faster than good.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
All they have to go is 36K or 3 years, that's the bottom line for Ford. All the doors and tires could fall off after that as far as they are concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread