44 K miles - no mods motor F***ed

TEABG

Banned
My left head just blew, Dealer is tearing it down and the repair is covered under warranty. ((THANK GOD)).. My car is modded with a costume tune. 440 RWHP. Dealer even gave me a 2006 Expedition to drive during the repair. Nothing like a 5.4L on the Expedition I can tear up. In regards to the tune, my tuner advised me that someone attempted to blow my car up. The stock tune was crap and he has seen 3-4 other 03 Cobra's with similar bad (FACTORY) tunes.

TEABG

Banned
AllVenom said:
+1 to snake and unit for this advice...

Do not let them take you for almost 10 grand to put a new one in there...

$10,000, more like $14,00 installed.

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
TEABG said:
My left head just blew, Dealer is tearing it down and the repair is covered under warranty. ((THANK GOD)).. My car is modded with a costume tune. 440 RWHP. Dealer even gave me a 2006 Expedition to drive during the repair. Nothing like a 5.4L on the Expedition I can tear up. In regards to the tune, my tuner advised me that someone attempted to blow my car up. The stock tune was crap and he has seen 3-4 other 03 Cobra's with similar bad (FACTORY) tunes.

Wow, you must have one nice dealer on your hands...i'll be sure to send it them when my 850rwhp blows up too... :thumbsup:

Blaine

Established Member
blk04cobra1 said:
Wow, you must have one nice dealer on your hands...i'll be sure to send it them when my 850rwhp blows up too... :thumbsup:

+1 Your lucky to have found such a good dealor. My dealor gave me a big slap across the face!! And gave me a long story on how aftermarket exhaust will destroy your engine and definitely caused my cylinder heads to go bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuss:

Thanks Jerry's Ford. :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm:

Last edited:

SteveChris

Established Member
Blaine said:
+1 Your lucky to have found such a good dealor. My dealor gave me a big slap across the face!! And gave me a long story on how aftermarket exhaust will destroy your engine and definitely caused my cylinder heads to go bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuss:

Thanks Jerry's Ford. :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm:
yea those damn aftermarket exhausts and there 500hp gains
that = a lazy dealer looking for an excuse

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Blaine said:
2003 Cobra. You had bad coolant flow in your heads to start + add in the fact your pistons are crap and can't withstand high heat + the small piston to valve clearance = recipe for disaster. All the engines are going to go early. No matter how your drive them. Just one long trip from St. Louis to DC at 80mph killed mine. No hard driving.

Hi Blaine, I'm going to disagree with you based upon how the owner drove the car.

My theory is the guides wore, then the valves having wobble, quit sealing at some point and burnt the valve. My theory also says it is the exhaust valve because they run hotter and wear guides quicker.

Notice he didn't mention noise, knock, tick, If a piston goes there will be noise, a knock most likely.

I myself have seen my guides going bad, no tick yet but the guides are worn, it did wear out #5 and #6 intake valve seals, the positive type valve stem seals can't take the run out. It caused them to wear out enough where the seals quit wiping the stem, then oil starts running down the stem.

That's a bad deal too besides the smoking, it will lower your gas octane rating quick, then you might burn, collapse a piston if you get on it due to preignition, it's not a 2 stroke.

sunburst six

Established Member
My engine's toast too. :( It started knocking after I shredded a belt a couple of days ago - turns out the #7 piston is a goner. The mechanic said that it was poor oiling that caused it. Said my crankcase reeked of fuel. Now he wants $7500 to replace my engine with a "stage 1". Man, I'm so pissed. :nonono:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
sunburst six said:
My engine's toast too. :( It started knocking after I shredded a belt a couple of days ago - turns out the #7 piston is a goner. The mechanic said that it was poor oiling that caused it. Said my crankcase reeked of fuel. Now he wants $7500 to replace my engine with a "stage 1". Man, I'm so pissed. :nonono:

Oh man, I am sorry to hear that.
$7500 does sound a bit steep.
At least with built short block, you won't have to the short comings of a stock short block.
Good Luck

WDW MKR

Established Member
sunburst six said:

I don't know what kind of make-believe sequencing he is refering to with his "stage 1" build, but I would quickly run to a different shop. You can easily rebuild or replace your shortblock with stronger parts for a lot less than that. If you had fuel in your crankcase, you probably had a blown FRPS. Fuel washed the oil and greatly reduces it lubricity.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
something similar happened to me. my car only had about 10k miles and i needed a completely new tranny cuz it had metal chunks inside, wierd i know. thank God for warranty, they replaced it with no charge to me.

sunburst six

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
I don't know what kind of make-believe sequencing he is refering to with his "stage 1" build, but I would quickly run to a different shop. You can easily rebuild or replace your shortblock with stronger parts for a lot less than that. If you had fuel in your crankcase, you probably had a blown FRPS. Fuel washed the oil and greatly reduces it lubricity.

Oh, trust me, it's currently at a friend's (mechanic) house getting torn down. The guy at the aforementioned shop didn't even open a valve cover, just drove it and immediately started trying to sell me on a "stage 3" engine with ported heads, a ported blower, yadayadayada.... Damn schiesters. I guess he saw that I am relatively young and wanted to get me by the balls.

Blown FRPS, eh? I'll have to look into that. Isn't that the sensor on the fuel rails? I'm not too keen on a modular fuel system, but I can at least let my friend know.

JMD0346

Established Member
TEABG said:

Well see you got that "costume" tune. They dont know its in there!! :lol:

Sorry had to.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hey how come the thread starter never came back into his own thread with more info???
Since when does a dealer(I work at one) put in a motor with out some one saying ok first... Ford or owner???
We have been hanging left heads on burnt valve Aviators hand over fist.... under warranty... at least half of them have been running non-premium fuel and admitted it!!! :nonono:

The whole story is not being told here...

NO WAY THIS ENDS UP BEING A PISTON!!!

I'll bet it's a burnt valve in the left head.... in which case that's what should have been replaced!!! :poke:

Waiting for more info... :read:

Blaine

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
Hey how come the thread starter never came back into his own thread with more info???
Since when does a dealer(I work at one) put in a motor with out some one saying ok first... Ford or owner???
We have been hanging left heads on burnt valve Aviators hand over fist.... under warranty... at least half of them have been running non-premium fuel and admitted it!!! :nonono:

The whole story is not being told here...

NO WAY THIS ENDS UP BEING A PISTON!!!

I'll bet it's a burnt valve in the left head.... in which case that's what should have been replaced!!! :poke:

Waiting for more info... :read:

+1 For burnt valve in left head.

Not running Premium Fuel. *scary* Few extra cents a gallon is alot cheapor than replacing the motor. :dw:

And the valve guides go bad because of the bad coolant flow in the heads. This is because valve guides can't tolerate high heat and warp over time because they themselves are cheap.

So to fix the problem you need the 05 Heads (Better Coolant Flow) and Bronze Valve guides to be 100% safe. But just the 05 Heads should fix the problem 99.9%.

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
sunburst six said:
Oh, trust me, it's currently at a friend's (mechanic) house getting torn down. The guy at the aforementioned shop didn't even open a valve cover, just drove it and immediately started trying to sell me on a "stage 3" engine with ported heads, a ported blower, yadayadayada.... Damn schiesters. I guess he saw that I am relatively young and wanted to get me by the balls.

Blown FRPS, eh? I'll have to look into that. Isn't that the sensor on the fuel rails? I'm not too keen on a modular fuel system, but I can at least let my friend know.

Yes, it is located at the front of the Driver Side fuel rail. When they fail (partially or completely), they allow fuel to push through the sensor and wash into the engine.

sunburst six

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Yes, it is located at the front of the Driver Side fuel rail. When they fail (partially or completely), they allow fuel to push through the sensor and wash into the engine.

I guess I'll get him to run for codes today. I've had a code for a few months because of my EGR, so we'll see if any new ones popped up.

I read up a little bit on the FRPS, and I'm not so sure mine's defective. My fuel pressure gauge reads normal and my car still runs fine minus the knock. I'll have to see what he says though, he's the expert after all.

Users who are viewing this thread