49k miles Dark Shadow Gray Down for count. Any ideas on fix?

Marines691

Established Member
My dark shadow gray just went down. Had 49k miles on it. Shot out some black smoke, cut the engine. Now it like hesitates to start. Shoots out black smoke while trying to turn her over. Changed the fuel rail pressure sensor. Didn't do anything. Still cuts out. What should I be looking for? Thanks gents.

Zemedici

Established Member
does it turn over? Or not at all? Like starts lazy?

No leaking?

Were you WOT when it broke?

E85? Pump Gas?

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Check for codes is the obvious starting point. From there start with the basics. Black smoke indicates overfueling and the fact that you just yr fuel in the car points in that direction too but don’t let that give you tunnel vision on a fuel issue

Marines691

Established Member
does it turn over? Or not at all? Like starts lazy?

No leaking?

Were you WOT when it broke?

E85? Pump Gas?
Turned over a few times then dies after about 15 seconds at idle. Don't see any leaking. I wasn't WOT. Just cruising. Pump gas. Just put couple gallons in at shell. But other day I used some generic brand 93 gas station bc I was low. But pretty sure it was 93 and not bad gas. I know the man who owns station personally. But you never known.

Marines691

Established Member
Check for codes is the obvious starting point. From there start with the basics. Black smoke indicates overfueling and the fact that you just yr fuel in the car points in that direction too but don’t let that give you tunnel vision on a fuel issue
Roger. I have a code machine that will get hooked up in morning. It broke down at a mechanic shop lol. They said they can look at it tomorrow.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Hopefully it’s nothing serious and they can get up back on the road quickly and without too much damage to your wallet

01yellercobra

Established Member
If it was a bad pump you wouldn't have black smoke when trying to start it. Depending how long it sat there might not be any rail pressure when you pull the FRPS. A quick check is to try blowing through it. If you can then it's definitely bad.

Pull the plugs and look them over. They're probably fouled out.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
If this were my car, I would pull the plugs and see how they look. I would do a compression test just in case. Check fuel pressure. Check codes. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread