4lb lower

goldenbear

Established Member
Hey guys,

I want to run a 2.93 upper and 4lb lower combo that I've been reading about. I do have a question. In order to get the 4lb lower, am I suppose to buy some sort of interchangeable kit first that will allow me to change the lower to something else? Or can I just buy a 4lb lower somewhere without needing a special kit? I've also been seeing that people change the alternator pulley after changing the lower. Is that necessary? I appreciate the help. Thanks

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
You'll need the complete lower pulley kit because you'll be replacing the stock lower crank pulley along with its cage assembly including the idler pulley, the kit has a bracket that relocates the idler pulley. I have a 4lb lower and run a 3.2" alternator pulley since the larger lower pulley spins the belt faster in turn spinning all other pulleys faster, the pulley helps from over spinning your alternator.

Bigggy

Established Member
You'll need the complete lower pulley kit because you'll be replacing the stock lower crank pulley along with its cage assembly including the idler pulley, the kit has a bracket that relocates the idler pulley. I have a 4lb lower and run a 3.2" alternator pulley since the larger lower pulley spins the belt faster in turn spinning all other pulleys faster, the pulley helps from over spinning your alternator.

Everything said ^^

Quick Strike

Established Member
The alternator pulley is not really required with a 4# lower. Certainly with a 6#, but you can get away without it using a 4#. My alternator failed at 4K with a stock lower and then went 40K with a 4# lower and stock alternator pulley. I currently have a 2# lower with the same alternator and stock alternator pulley.

goldenbear

Established Member
Darn, so I do need that full kit to run a lower? These kits usually run about $250 used, right? Was hoping I could just get a 4lb lower haha. Alright, thanks.

Tractionless1

Established Member
See if you can find a 4# lower that's built into the OE cage as a fellow forum member had a run of them a few years ago. This will keep the OE crank snout support and potentially save future oil pump etc. carnage.

Users who are viewing this thread