4r70w holds 1500hp or just a scam?

joel19delta

Insane Vert driver
Established Member
Lentech builds there strip terminator 4r70w that's supposed to hold 1500hp. I'm getting one with the engine/rear end/and turbo kit I bought. I have an 01 vert I want to drop it into. Are there any hidden surprises I should find know when replacing my SRA and 5speed for this setup? And does Lentech do a good job with this? I have read where someone posted they were getting ripped off by them. Thanks!

joel19delta

Insane Vert driver
Established Member
That's unfortunate that a company would be selling something that isn't what it says it is. But after doing my research this is the transmission I want to go with so I'll probably give it a shot. It's only a weekend car and I don't plan on running 1000hp. I'm estimating around 700whp on pump so I'll probably have it tuned for that then lower the boost anyways.

mdrc347

Established Member
That's unfortunate that a company would be selling something that isn't what it says it is. But after doing my research this is the transmission I want to go with so I'll probably give it a shot. It's only a weekend car and I don't plan on running 1000hp. I'm estimating around 700whp on pump so I'll probably have it tuned for that then lower the boost anyways.

You should check out what I recently posted on the other discussion. I wouldn't put their trans in my car if they gave it to me. There are some excellent trans builders out there that will treat you better.

gamebred26

Established Member
i have a pa supercomp ready to go in this week. mvb. it was freshly rebuilt by steve gorman precision transmissions. said it looked pretty well put together...ill let you know how it turns out.

you need a manual valve body, dont even bother trying to have it shift with a computer with that power.

Last edited:

99cobrajn

cant touch this........
Established Member
There is a local with a lentech strip 4r70w that was making 1200 rwhp and it held. no liking the way they treaded that guy above though....

joel19delta

Insane Vert driver
Established Member
There is actually a guy that lives a few miles away from me with this same tranny that holds 600hp just fine.
And I'm sure anyone making over 1000hp would buy a transmission claiming to hold 1500 rather than 1200hp.

mdrc347

Established Member
There is actually a guy that lives a few miles away from me with this same tranny that holds 600hp just fine.
And I'm sure anyone making over 1000hp would buy a transmission claiming to hold 1500 rather than 1200hp.

It's usually the higher horsepower cars that I have heard having issues. The friend of mine that had issues was at 800hp. Plus, it was a full drag car. He doesn't drive it on the street. All of this would affect how long the trans would last. But, why would you do business with them after hearing the crap that they have pulled? I would not put a red cent in his pocket after seeing and hearing what I have.

joel19delta

Insane Vert driver
Established Member
It's coming with a new motor/fuel system/turbo kit/intercooler/fuel system/brembos/coilovers/k members/ and rear end. It's a package deal

86merc

Established Member
I would recommend talking to Freddy Brown instead of Lentech. For many reasons including shipping, down time, import costs and customer service.

Home

Take a look at the size of a 4R clutch pack and that of a th400. The 4R is smaller. You will wear them faster even if they will hold that kind of power. There are other draw backs as well. The main reason people like the 4R is the lock up converter. I can not see one holding up to 700+ ft/lbs of torque on lock up under load. So you will basically be using extra gear for OD and the efficiency of the converter will determine the MPH and MPG you get out of it. Because with out the benifit of lock out there is not a huge advantage to the trans if the converter is real loose and inefficient.

I have a custom built AOD with some 4R parts in my street car. It was spec'd out by me and built by my trans guy. It made 900+rwhp and 750+ rwtq on the base dyno tune, has been pushed harder and has not broke any thing. I do rebuild it every winter. If I had the kind of TH400 I would want in the car it could go 2-3 seasons with out a rebuild.

Different ways to go about things. Check out Click Click Racing - Click Click Racing as there is a ton of info and helpful people over there. At least you can make a educated decision on you trans purchase.

Last edited:

Blackedout

Established Member
I would recommend talking to Freddy Brown instead of Lentech. For many reasons including shipping, down time, import costs and customer service.

Home

Take a look at the size of a 4R clutch pack and that of a th400. The 4R is smaller. You will wear them faster even if they will hold that kind of power. There are other draw backs as well. The main reason people like the 4R is the lock up converter. I can not see one holding up to 700+ ft/lbs of torque on lock up under load. So you will basically be using extra gear for OD and the efficiency of the converter will determine the MPH and MPG you get out of it. Because with out the benifit of lock out there is not a huge advantage to the trans if the converter is real loose and inefficient.

I have a custom built AOD with some 4R parts in my street car. It was spec'd out by me and built by my trans guy. It made 900+rwhp and 750+ rwtq on the base dyno tune, has been pushed harder and has not broke any thing. I do rebuild it every winter. If I had the kind of TH400 I would want in the car it could go 2-3 seasons with out a rebuild.

Different ways to go about things. Check out Click Click Racing - Click Click Racing as there is a ton of info and helpful people over there. At least you can make a educated decision on you trans purchase.

FB Performance would get my vote...

Zacharyx

Established Member
I have been talking to SilverFox, he told me if I break send it back and he will fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread