4th TOB replaced-would not replace clutch

trendkilllx

Established Member
Took my car in for the 4th time for the TOB failure. I asked them to replace the pressure plate (ford), clutch and flywheel but they only replaced the TOB-for the 4th time. Car has 30k on it and goes off of warranty in 3 months. With the 3rd replacement they did replace the retainer sleeve. Anyhow considering an extended warranty just because of this problem. I asked the manager what I am supposed to do but he said ford only authorizes the TOB replacement.

03DOHC

Established Member
That's ****ing typical dealer bullshit. I had my entire clutch assembly (TOB, PP, PB, and CD) replaced under warranty 3 times and my transmission once for that issue. Your dealer is jacking you around. If the pressure plate fingers are worn and jacked it will put uneven pressure on your TOB.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
trendkilllx said:
Took my car in for the 4th time for the TOB failure. I asked them to replace the pressure plate (ford), clutch and flywheel but they only replaced the TOB-for the 4th time. Car has 30k on it and goes off of warranty in 3 months. With the 3rd replacement they did replace the retainer sleeve. Anyhow considering an extended warranty just because of this problem. I asked the manager what I am supposed to do but he said ford only authorizes the TOB replacement.

I took them a new spec setup with clutch/tob when it went out for the 3rd time for me and they replaced the transmission and put in my new clutch for free.

Will

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
03DOHC said:
That's ****ing typical dealer bullshit. I had my entire clutch assembly (TOB, PP, PB, and CD) replaced under warranty 3 times and my transmission once for that issue. Your dealer is jacking you around. If the pressure plate fingers are worn and jacked it will put uneven pressure on your TOB.

That is absolutely true. If the TOB has worn the fingers on the pressure plate, Ford WILL warranty it! If you lost a front trans seal or rear main seal and the oil ruined your clutch, Ford will warranty it regardless of mileage as long as the car is under warranty. With as much trouble as you are having with TOB's, I would think they would WANT to change the clutch and see if that's a cause. I think a call to the Ford Service rep is in order and see what he says. 4 TOB's is NOT NORMAL!! Something is knocking them out.

trendkilllx

Established Member
thanks for all the information. If I get the ESP plan at the dealership I will go ahead and make an appointment for the next TOB replacement, should be around April of 2006. May also call in a complaint to ford, the 800 # but heard that this does not due much good.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
trendkilllx said:
May also call in a complaint to ford, the 800 # but heard that this does not due much good.

I sure does with Lincoln!! I have made two calls in my life...and both were returned within 24 hours. One they even conferenced in the Service Director of the dealership.

trendkilllx

Established Member
This is getting interesting, 4th TOB replaced a week ago is now chirping loudly, goes away when clutch is pressed in. Do not see how it could go out that fast but something is not right with the trans-clutch pressureplate. Car is still under warranty so will get the 5th TOB replaced under warranty.

trendkilllx

Established Member
will try friendly ford on decatur as suggested. I have a JLT cold air and different exhaust but still have stock tune, pulley and shifter so warranty should still be good.

DontGetBit

The Dynasty has begun....
Established Member
Just to let you know, when they replace the tob it carries a 12k or 12 month warranty. This may save you the extended warranty price. I just had my tob replaced last week and the tech informed me of this.

Users who are viewing this thread