4v swap help

SteedaX47

Established Member
Hey everyone so as the title says I need some help with my swap. I've tried the search option and either I suck at searching lol or the info isn't there.

So here's the info on what I have already- the car is a 97 gt manual coupe, I have an 03 cobra shortblock that I'm about to rebuild, most (hopefully all) of the timing components minus the cover, complete heads from a 93-95 mark 8 and an intake manifold from the same year mark 8. I also have a stock 03 cobra oil pump

I know that the intake cams should be swapped for cobras and the intake should be a cobra and that stuff, but I got the intake for free lol so I'm gonna try to use that. If anyone is willing to part with a b head cobra intake for less than expensive lol, please let me know.

I'm also aware of the coolant necessities and electrical things needed, flywheel of course as well.

So here are my main questions:

Are the 03 cobras 4 or 2 bolt mains?

what timing covers can I use? I've read from a different swap that any can be bolted up and I should use one of the year of my car (97 gt should use a 97 cobra) but I also read from mm&ff that there are certain differences with bolts so caused me a little concern.

Are there knock sensors on the 03 cobra block? If so, is there anything I need to do with it?

The intake for that year mark is different and the throttle body is located near the firewall. I thought the cobra and mark tb's were the same but I tried to line up the 03 cobra tb and it didn't quite match with the mark intake. Does anyone know what throttle body I can use? Where I may be able to get one? Also what throttle/cruise cables will work for that intake/throttle body?

What exhaust manifolds will work best? I plan on keeping them factory cause I'm running a remote turbo kit and I've read in many forums that the factory headers work best with the sts kits.

Lastly, if anyone could please take a look at some part numbers for some things, id greatly appreciate confirming what I need.

So the main bearing I'm getting are clevite and the pn is: MS2007H are these correct?

Rod bearings are clevite tri armor coated pn: CB1442HK are these correct? And it states they are 23.95 each from summit, do I need 8? One set for each rod right?

I'm wanting total seal rings but I'm having a hrad time finding them. I found them at MMR pn 400290. Do these need to be filed to fit or are they ready to go?

Any recommendation on valve covers? Windage tray?

Anything I missed? Any and all recommendations/help are GREATLY appreciated.

This is my first actual engine build and of course first experience with a dohc swap, so I apologize if any of these questions seem basic to you guys. Thanks much in advance!

-Nate

CJK440

Established Member
If you are going to insist on running a Mark VIII intake, I think the later mark VIII side TB intake would be a better choice from a packaging standpoint. Remember that you will need IMRC plates that match the intake. The early rear TB mark intake uses special IMRC's while the later side intake Marks use the same IMRC's as the Cobras.

I would suggest putting the Cobra cams in now only because it is so much easier out of the car especially degreeing them in.

If that oil pump is used, make sure its good. The pickup is unique to the Cobra pump too, your 2v pickup wont work.

The 03/04 cobra blocks have the Knock sensor bosses in the intake valley machined off for I/C clearance. I suppose you can just have them turned off with a tune.

I think you are safe just searching for bearings for an 03 cobra.

Last edited:

SteedaX47

Established Member
Yes, I forgot to mention the plates, I do have the matching stock plates for the intake. I didn't actually know that they were different so thanks! I was planning on wiring them open like I've heard most people do. And you're definitely right about the cams. I think that I will plan on searching for some 96-98 cobras as long as my budget permits. The newer mark tb will for sure fit this intake? Thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate the help already

CJK440

Established Member
The newer mark tb will for sure fit this intake? Thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate the help already

Oh, I'm not saying that. I was suggesting you go for the second generation Mark VIII intake manifold that has a side intake throttle body instead of the rear TB one you have. You probably can find one a heck of alot cheaper than a Cobra manifold. But you would have to source different IMRC's then.

The early Mark intake had 2 round ports per cylinder and the IMRC matched but had 1 round and 1 rectangle below to match the heads. The late Mark and Cobra intake have a round and rect port in the intake and the IMRC plate has round/rect top and bottom.

I've got a set of Cobra cams if you are interested [email protected].

Last edited:

SteedaX47

Established Member
Ohhh lol my bad, thanks for the clarification. I was planning on trying to look for the newer intake and then this one was presented to me lol. So I was like well damn, but at least its a free intake. But you're right, the newer one will be sooo much easier to work with. I just might email you about those a little later today. Again, thanks for the help!

SteedaX47

Established Member
If I do get a newer intake I may just look for a set of used imrc deletes. Unless of course the intake comes with the plates

1989Gt.

Banned
I have a cobra intake pm me for tbe price that mark intake will not worj without some fab work its very close to the firewall at the cery least your going to want the 97-98 intake. I did this swap in my 98 I can be helpful its not hard but it takes some time

crazycarlo

Established Member
Newer 03 blocks are 2 bolt mains and have side bolts as well. If you need a 98 cobra timing cover let me know as I have alot of cobra stuff from my swap laying around collecting dust.

SteedaX47

Established Member
You guys are all awesome thank you very much!

1989gt, thanks much man, I was worried a little about clearance and ill pm you here shortly.

Crazycarlo, thanks to you as well! Ill be pm'ing you shortly as well cause I really need that lol. Oh and thanks for the info on the bolts that does help me.

Again, you guys are awesome, if there's any more advice or suggestions id much appreciate it!

1989gt, I may use your knowledge when I officially start the swap!

SteedaX47

Established Member
Cjk440: thanks for the info on the location of the knock sensor bosses. If I'm not using them then I don't need to cover them or seal them or anything do I? Also, thanks for the reminder on the pick up. Ill need to check in the box where its at. How would you recommend I test to make sure it works or is good

Last edited:

Maustang

Established Member
I have a 98 mark 8 motor I'm parting out I can sell you the intake with the imrc the valves have been removed from them. Also cam covers, injectors, tb. The exhaust manifolds are suppose to be off a cobra but not for sure the heads will also be for sale
47142a2b-c104-f6a1.jpg
47142a2b-c11d-ab8c.jpg
47142a2b-c13a-421e.jpg

SteedaX47

Established Member
Maustang: thanks man! I may see about trying to get the cobra intake from 1989gt first but if it doesn't work out ill definitely give you a shout cause I will still need the tb.

SteedaX47

Established Member
Crazycarlo: thanks lol I figured id make this my 10th post so well see!

Sweet you guys are great! Ill be pming some of you shortly

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread