5.0 Cobra Vs. 4.6 Cobra

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Hey I just want to bounce some idea off fellow mustang/cobra owners. I am looking to buy my first cobra which will either be a 5.0 or a 4.6. The two im looking at right now are:

1994 Mustang Cobra
and
Cars for Sale: 1996 Ford Mustang Cobra Coupe in Appomattox, VA 24522: Coupe Details - 306316845 - AutoTrader.com

I REALLY want the mystichrome I believe. For the looks, the power, and the engine. However part of me also wants the 5.0. As I understand it the 4.6 has a power band in the upper rpms while the 5.0 has it in the lower? I have also heard the 5.0 engine will be easier to work on but wont make as much power with the same mods as the 4.6.

Bascially I guess can anyone who has owned both or driven both or whatever give me some perspective on both platforms. I am looking to keep it mostly stock with only basic mods like CAI, subframes, tune, exhaust, and gears. My goal is a fun weekend driver/daily driver.

Thanks!

crazycarlo

Established Member
I say get the 96 is those are all the mods you want. Also keep in mind though that if u have to repaint any part of that car its going to be $$$

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Wow, this thread speaks to me. :)

We have a white '95 Cobra, (pretty darn modded out), and a '96 Mystic Cobra.

If I were you, I'd take the '94. It looks to be in pristine condition. That Mystic looks like it could have been roughed up a bit.

Over the past few years, I have been thinking about getting rid of my low-mileage Mystic for a Red/White Cobra... Keeping it clean is a PITA! :)

That Mystics paint is going bad... Look at that rear bumper. :uh oh: Stay far away from that.

Our '95 has 140k+ miles, Mac CAI, Mac headers, Mac o/r h-pipe, Mac catback, RPM extender, shifter, and is lowered with new springs/struts/shocks.

The '96 has 60k+ miles, Mac CAI, Mac o/r h-pipe, Mac catback, MGW orange shifter, 4.10's, lowered with gas shocks and struts.

Driving the two cars is completely different. I love the top end of the 4V, but I really like the low end torque of the 5.0 more than anything. More "seat of the pants" feel with it. Also, I cannot think of a single 4.6 exhaust note that sounds better than a 5.0. :)

I say get the 5.0 with those miles, and save up for a '96-'98. Have the best of both worlds! I would trust that the '94-'95 Cobras are built a bit nicer, and can most likely last longer. I think we have a few 4V's on here with 200k+ miles, but I don't think that's very common.

If you had two low mileage Cobras to compare, my choice could be different, but in this case, 5.0 it is.

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I say get the 96 is those are all the mods you want. Also keep in mind though that if u have to repaint any part of that car its going to be $$$

If I were you, I'd take the '94. It looks to be in pristine condition. That Mystic looks like it could have been roughed up a bit.

Over the past few years, I have been thinking about getting rid of my low-mileage Mystic for a Red/White Cobra... Keeping it clean is a PITA! :)

That Mystics paint is going bad... Look at that rear bumper. :uh oh: Stay far away from that.

Our '95 has 140k+ miles, Mac CAI, Mac headers, Mac o/r h-pipe, Mac catback, RPM extender, shifter, and is lowered with new springs/struts/shocks.

The '96 has 60k+ miles, Mac CAI, Mac o/r h-pipe, Mac catback, MGW orange shifter, 4.10's, lowered with gas shocks and struts.

Driving the two cars is completely different. I love the top end of the 4V, but I really like the low end torque of the 5.0 more than anything. More "seat of the pants" feel with it. Also, I cannot think of a single 4.6 exhaust note that sounds better than a 5.0. :)

I say get the 5.0 with those miles, and save up for a '96-'98. Have the best of both worlds! I would trust that the '94-'95 Cobras are built a bit nicer, and can most likely last longer. I think we have a few 4V's on here with 200k+ miles, but I don't think that's very common.

If you had two low mileage Cobras to compare, my choice could be different, but in this case, 5.0 it is.

Hmmm that does seem to make sense to me. Yeah I know that paint is a money pit if it needs repainted. I did not know its going bad on that car though as im not sure what to look for in that color. Do you think possibly its the picture quality?

This is a tough choice lol. But yeah I do want that 5.0 rumble too though. I just dont know if I want to give up that extra power stock. As I understand it, it would take some pretty decent mods to get the 5.0 up to the same power level as the 4.6 stock. I dont really want to go down in power from my V6 (which is 260rwhp) but 10-20HP wouldnt be too bad of a hit, which I think the 5.0 sits at 240rwhp??

F8L BYT

Established Member
Why dont you look on here for a used one for sale, chances are you will find a much better car for the money and you will more than likely learn the history of it and know more about it just my .02

I loved my 5.0 when I had it and it had a few mods but then I got my 98 and I love it too but I find myself missing my 5.0 A LOT. I think either way you will be happy with whatever you decide on. Good luck!

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Well I would get one from here but doubt I will find anything close enough. I will be sure to look though. Also how long can I expect the 4.6 to last mile wise assuming its in good condition when I get it. I guess average milage for a 4.6 and what the normal cause of failure is.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member

No kidding lol.........me too!

My '96 Mystic Cobra has basically the exact same suspension mods as my '95 Cobra with the exception of the '95 having a tubular k-member and the '96 having 4.10 gears instead of 3.73s with a Tru-Trac.
Same thing with me though; I prefer the low end torque to the high end horsepower of the '96. The Mystic was never tuned with anything until I ordered the SCT X3 with a custom tune this afternoon. I should have the new tune uploaded tonight-----funny thing though; the SCT chip in my '95 originally started out in the '96 with an LLX3 specific tune and it lost power and was slower at the track. Hopefully that's not the case this time around.

There are a few 4V Cobras out there in excess of 200k+ miles.
My '95 Cobra has 217,000 miles on the original shortblock and my '96 Mystic has 178,000 miles on its longblock.

Check the sig for the dyno numbers on each car with some basic mods to the Mystic and more indepth mods to the '95. The '95 has ported heads and intake with an E303 cam and full exhaust with an SCT-tuned A9L conversion.
The '96 has a JLT intake, x-pipe, catback, Steeda u/d pulleys. Both cars have an aluminum flywheel and aluminum driveshaft with King Cobra Clutch.

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Guy Fawkes said:
Do you think possibly its the picture quality?

Not a chance. :)

Guy Fawkes said:
I dont really want to go down in power from my V6 (which is 260rwhp) but 10-20HP wouldnt be too bad of a hit, which I think the 5.0 sits at 240rwhp??

Funny that they really underrated the '94-'95 5.0. It sits around 270hp to the crank, so yeah, 240rwhp. I like how much cheaper you can get parts for the 5.0, and what difference they actually do make. :)

cobraman1024 said:
The Mystic was never tuned with anything until I ordered the SCT X3 with a custom tune this afternoon. I should have the new tune uploaded tonight

I am looking at picking up an SCT X3. I don't have much cash to spare at this time due to my girlfriend losing her job, but my car needs attention. I need to clean the IMRC's, order new spark plug wires, and get a C&L kit. I have so many things I need to do to my car. :whine:

2003SLVRSNAKE

Established Member
My best friend had a 5.0 Cobra and my cousin had a 4.6 Cobra. Both were lightly modded. I rode in both alot. I drove the 5.0 maybe 3 and the 4.6 once. I helped work on both. Me, I like the 5.0 more. Although that Mystic is sweet, I think Immortal LuD is right about the paint on this one.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Well I might just go with the 94 then. Not 100% sure still though but I have a month to make up my mind. And yeah I had heard the 5.0s were underrated too. I figure with CAI, tune, and exhaust I will hopefullly be around 260 again. At most I will pickup a standard blower like vortech with low psi.

How much boost can a stock cobra 5.0 take? Or I should ask, how much HP can it take and whats typical gains seen on say 6psi boost?

thanks again everyone.

crazycarlo

Established Member
The 5.0 are notorious for the block breaking once u start getting around 500 hp. Plus they do not have forged pistons. If you want a 5.0 look for a nice fox coupe. I have a 98 cobra and I had a 5.0 first. Yes my fox had more low end but the power never stops with the 98 and it is so smooth through the rev's.

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
i have had a 94 5.0 (my first car ever) it was a bunch of fun, real easy to work on and service, take off was nice, but my modular 4.6 just keeps on keepin on, she dont stop pullin like my 5.0 would, my 5.0 would lose all power past 110, my 4.6 just keeps rollin to 145

IMO the 4.6 will be nicer in the long run, but nothing wrong with either, they are both stangs:banana: you'll be happy regardless

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
i have had a 94 5.0 (my first car ever) it was a bunch of fun, real easy to work on and service, take off was nice, but my modular 4.6 just keeps on keepin on, she dont stop pullin like my 5.0 would, my 5.0 would lose all power past 110, my 4.6 just keeps rollin to 145

IMO the 4.6 will be nicer in the long run, but nothing wrong with either, they are both stangs:banana: you'll be happy regardless

Considering I never go that fast I dont think I will miss the top end of the 4.6 if the 5.0 doest top out till 110.

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
My 98 will blow the doors off my cousins 95 Cobra while its getting 26 MPG. The low end torque is fun, but taching out to 7Grand is a blast. I have owned FE's, small blocks and 4v mods and with the right exhaust they all can sound awesome in there own way.Until you have heard a 4v winding out to 7K with a good exhaust I would hold off making a decision based on sound. I could live with either one though, my ultimate would be a 93 Cobra and a 98 Cobra(I like the body style).

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
well after 2nd the 5.0 kinda goes off into left field crawling through the power band, the 4v just keeps tuggin through is what i meant, the 4.6 is so much more constant of a pull, i honestly like the sound of modular motors, they said pretty sick

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
Mileage aside I've owned a 5.0 Fox and currently own a 98 Cobra. Hands down I would take the modular over the push rod engine. With a set of 3.73 or 4.10 gears the 4.6L pulls very well off the line and allows the engine to get into the power band quickly. If you go for the 96 check to see that it had the cooling fix performed. Also the color in 96 was called Mystic, Mystichrome was on the 2004 Cobra.

Immortal LuD

Established Member
I could live with either one though, my ultimate would be a 93 Cobra and a 98 Cobra(I like the body style).

Where's the love for the 1995 Cobra R? :banana:

I don't know what your budget is Fawkes, but keep an eye on our forum... There's always Cobras for sale in your home state, and you never know what might show up. I sold my '03 Mach 1 on these forums, and bought my Mystic too. :)

When I decide to get rid of mine, I will definitely be putting mine on here first.

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
Mileage aside I've owned a 5.0 Fox and currently own a 98 Cobra. Hands down I would take the modular over the push rod engine. With a set of 3.73 or 4.10 gears the 4.6L pulls very well off the line and allows the engine to get into the power band quickly. If you go for the 96 check to see that it had the cooling fix performed. Also the color in 96 was called Mystic, Mystichrome was on the 2004 Cobra.

+1 well put

98fourvalve

Established Member
I grew up with nothing but 5.0s around. Still to this day my brothers and I are always messing around in our stangs. Yet... I'm the only one with the 4.6 (Soon to be 5.0 Big Bore) and I have to say at first I was not into the modulars. But now, I wouldn't go back to a push rod if you tried to make me. <3 the mods. I'd stay away from that mystic though. Their paint is a pita and it looks like its going. You can find nice modulars within your price range. Look around.

And as far as mileage for both. If taken care of you can get over 200k. More common I'd say in the push rod, but the 4.6 "shouldn't" pop at 120k like some will tell you.

Users who are viewing this thread