5,000 mile Maintenance

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
What service items are addressed at the 5k mileage interval?...I got a letter from Ford a while back saying to bring the car in for its scheduled 5K maintenance...Unfortunately, the supplemental owners guide and regular owners guide did not specify what kind of tasks are involved...Are these things I can do myself or should I just take it in to have them do it just for documentation purposes?...I just really hate leaving my car at the dealership for some knucke scrapper to finger it all up for some simple check up...Thanks

-pete:coolman:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just talked to my dealer about this last week. I believe it is the following if my memory is correct.

* Change engine oil and filter

* Check and fill:
window washer fluid
coolant recovery reservoir
power steering fluid
transmission fluid
clutch reservoir fluid (truck only, if equipped)
* Check and adjust air pressure in all tires, including spare
* Visually inspect exhaust system
* Check operation of horn, exterior lamps, turn signals and hazard warning lights
* Visually inspect cooling system
* Check windshield washer spray and wiper operation
* Inspect half shaft boots, if equipped

* Rotate tires

Even though I've receive two 5,000 mile service notices so far, I won't do anything until the Fall. I've had the car 8 months but I only have about 3,300 miles on it.

Last edited:

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
If you've got some mechanical ability, do this stuff your self. The dealer way overcharges for this stuff, and like you said, some guy's gonna be with you car doing who knows what to it.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
but you have to have it documented. ford can use thesed things if not documented to show u didnt conform to there maint. Like oil changes keep receipts of oil and filter thats good enough but they want somthing. food for thought

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I perform all of the reugular maintanence. I have already resigned to replacing any parts that fail myself and incurring the cost. The knuckle dragging dealership monkey's will never touch my cobra. At any rate, I have modded the car past factory specs, so if something breaks..I gotta take my medicine....

Last edited:

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys...I think I'll just save my receipts of the oil filters/oil and any other maintenance stuff...I really hate the dealership people driving my car for 10 miles just to make sure the brake reservoir cap doesn't leak when it is a simple crease in the seal that only required smoothing out...It kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth for future repairs/service...Take care

-pete:coolman:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
but you have to have it documented. ford can use thesed things if not documented to show u didnt conform to there maint. Like oil changes keep receipts of oil and filter thats good enough but they want somthing. food for thought
You're very right. Keep your receipts and a log of the maintenance you perform. It's been awhile since I asked a dealer the question, but the last time I did the answer was just keep your receipts and a log. It would be sufficient. Guess if you're going to do your own maintenance it is best to check with your friendly Ford dealer and verify what they need. Better safe than sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread