5.4/5.8 differences

Silver11gt500

Established Member
Besides the 5.8 having a tvs and more cubic inch, what are the other differences? Are the cylinder head castings the same, cams ect?

fullboogie

Established Member
Same answer as you'll find on Google. Which is where you should have started.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol damn that's kind mean, the 5.8 is the same stroke as the 5.4, the 5.8 has a bigger boor to make it a 5.8,obviously the 5.8 has strong internals, and the cylinder heads have better cooling passages and some same other small things, hope that answers you're question. Google will help a lot also

Blaine

Established Member
Main difference between the 5.4 GT500 and the 5.8 GT500......

about 20,000 dollars.....:poke: Thats one heck of a Turbo kit you could of bought.

scw942.jpg

Silver11gt500

Established Member
I wouldn't put anymore trust into the 5.8L rods than I would the 5.4L rods. They're still toothpics.

Most certainly agree with that statement. I found that tech article that was in 5.0 mag last nite and dont see the changes they made justify the higher rpm reline. Like alot of people on here i personally think that 07-12 cars had a very modest rev limiter that just gets bumped up when most of these cars get tuned anyways.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Most certainly agree with that statement. I found that tech article that was in 5.0 mag last nite and dont see the changes they made justify the higher rpm reline. Like alot of people on here i personally think that 07-12 cars had a very modest rev limiter that just gets bumped up when most of these cars get tuned anyways.

I don't trust the 13's rods anymore than I trust my 12's rods where I shift at 6, 100 ...basically the same damn rod.

backinastang

Established Member
5.8 has oil squirters, GT cams (more RPMs), TVS 2.3 (bigger S/C), Bigger bore, thinner walls (heat?). The article I read showed all the parts and from what I remember, the rest were the same.

Users who are viewing this thread