5.4 Short block

THAITED

Established Member
Well I'm looking at CHP 5.4 liter street/strip from CHP. Also I'm thinking about MMR too but the price is not right yet.

1. Does anyone knows about 5.4 CHP shortblock, is it reliable?

2. Can I take off the heads on my 5.1 stroker and transfer them to the new block?

3. Do you think I will gain any power at all with the 5.4?

I have a Paxton Novi 2000, 16 psi currently pushing 590 rwhp. I don't think my 5.1 will make anymore power (safely) since I only want to use 91 octane only (just incase of long distance travel).

Thank you

01yellercobra

Established Member
1. Haven't really heard much about CHP with mod motors, but that's not saying much from me.

2. They should bolt right on. The issue will be the intake.

3. You might gain some power. Depends on what compression ratio, how well the cams work, etc.

What makes you think your current motor is at it's limits? Is the tune on the edge? How much more are you looking for? FWIW, my 5.3 made between 550-560 at 12 psi. The tune was very conservative.

Last edited:

THAITED

Established Member
^^^ thanks I'm hoping to get 700 rwhp with 91 octane but the boost is at 16 psi so don't know that it will be safe to up the boost or go Turbo.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
How much timing are you running right now? What's your current compression ratio?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

THAITED

Established Member
How much timing are you running right now? What's your current compression ratio?

Not sure it was a long long time ago. Compression could be 9.5-1 and timing could be 16. Again I lost the dyno sheet. I hope I'm right.

venm4u97

Established Member
Well I'm looking at CHP 5.4 liter street/strip from CHP. Also I'm thinking about MMR too but the price is not right yet.

1. Does anyone knows about 5.4 CHP shortblock, is it reliable?

2. Can I take off the heads on my 5.1 stroker and transfer them to the new block?

3. Do you think I will gain any power at all with the 5.4?

I have a Paxton Novi 2000, 16 psi currently pushing 590 rwhp. I don't think my 5.1 will make anymore power (safely) since I only want to use 91 octane only (just incase of long distance travel).

Thank you

I ordered a 1500s stroker from mmr and thought about changing the block to a 351r...but to much to transfer over...try to find a intake,timing chain cover..vortech bracket...possibly a different hood etc...to much effin around for me..espically for the 2400 bucks just for the block upgrade

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
don't do an MMR motor and i don't think doing a 5.4l is going to be worth the money to swap....i would just keep the same setup and go with a meth kit

coposrv

Established Member
^^^the block for a 5.4 is wider. It has a different timing cover as well. I don't know the exact dimensions but the 4.6 bracket will need to be at least modified a little to work.

THAITED

Established Member
Thanks if it's too much trouble I may not even do it then. I will save money for Turbo instead. Why is it my car feel slower than before? It kinda weird, may be I got use to the power or something.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You may have gotten used to the power. If it feels bad enough you can always throw it back on the dyno to make sure everything is still good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread