5 inch or 3 3/8's tach ??

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Hey, is anyone runing a 5 inch or 3 3/8's tach. Trying to figure out which one to buy. 3 3/8 or 5 inch. If you have any pics could you post them. Thanks.

CPRsm

5in are pretty gawdy and ricey, but a price you pay when your trying to see wtf is going on when it's dark and your wearing a helmet. If your putting in a shift light I would use the smaller one. I always used the 5in because the car would like to be shifted different rpm per gear. This way I could see. But was getting harder to read the faster I went.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
I found these tachs last night. I kind of like the idea of mounting it in the pillar pod. They sell an adapter for the 5 inch tach. So it can be mounted in a pillar pod. Check it out and tell me what you think. Id probably buy a SpeedOfSound pillar pod to mount the tach. Tach comes with a built in shift light.

I would use one of the 5 inch tachs.
ProParts - Gauge Controllers, Mounting Pods

Then use a tach adapter so it could be mounted to a pillar pod.
ProParts - Gauge Controllers, Mounting Pods

Heres what it looks like.
http://4wheelonline.com/Chevy_Truck_Pillar_Gauge_Pods.58544.143772

hers a cool video.

http://www.propartsllc.com/media.php

Last edited:

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Always fancied this style. The numbers you really need to see are big and clear.
Auto Meter 6852 - Auto Meter Pro-Comp II Tachometers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Yes, i love that tach. 5 inch tach on the dash. Just seems like it would look way to big. I guess i could bolt it to my stock pillar or maybe mix it in with a two gauge SOS pod. That tach is the only one of its kind. Very cool. Its funny, because i found a pic of it on Jegs. But could find it anywhere to buy it. Not even Jegs. Then you post a link for it. I looked all over summit site and autometers. Good find thanks. Not sure i'll buy it yet. But i might. What yea think of pro-part gauges and the tach bracket for pod mount ?

CPRsm

Yeah, I have only seen it in 5 in which is the bummer. Would be nice in a smaller size, even if only 6-8k. Pod looked cool. If that doesn't suite you, you can always look for off road stuff. They've been mounting to rolls bars forever. The tach lighting is cool. These guys have the same thing. With lots of different faces and backing, there is a lot to choose from. The faces can be custom also. Got the name of a build put on a set.

Custom Gauges by SpeedHut

chimazo

Established Member
I'm sure you know that they have a 5" Cobra Jet tach with shiftlight (made by Autometer, p/n M-17360-SCJ), though the #'s don't look that easy to read. Here is where they mount it:
ccrp_0905_04_z+2008_cobra_jet_mustang+interior.jpg

brisk_tea

Established Member
here's my MSD tach/boost gauge. i'll be putting one in the shelby soon.
a bit gaudy i know, but one gauge with 2 purposes and easy to see at the track...
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OixlJ2UBpmI"]YouTube - '94 mustang gt - msd lazer tach/boost gauge[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread