500 HP Lightning vs stock M3

M-Phibian

Established Member
I'm sure it would have pulled harder against the M from a dig. The M3 is at home from a roll.

Originally posted by Panhandle_ws6
500 HP and thats it. I was expecting a lil more out of the lightning.

screwed

'Round And 'Round I Go
Established Member
tru but also a 12.8 with 500 HP just don't seem right to me.
Do you know what the conditions were,what modifications he had (ie tires, suspension,etc), or weight when he ran 12.8? It's easy to say "it should run faster than that" when you don't know the full story.

Cool vid nonetheless. My wife would trade her mustang for a BMW in a minute if I'd "let" her lol.

M-Phibian

Established Member
Lightning run mid to high 13's stock, right? Plus at 4,700 lbs, 500 hp seems about right to me for a 12.8.

Any input from the Lightning guys out there?

tru but also a 12.8 with 500 HP just don't seem right to me.

Last edited:

Panhandle_ws6

Established Member
well be realistic here c'mon 500 HP should put u quicker than 12.8. They have stock lightnings runnin what mid to high on a good day close to low 13's on a bady day 14's with 360 HP at the wheels stock. With 140 more HP should put u quicker than 12.8 in my opinion.

M-Phibian

Established Member
I believe the Lightning has 500 HP at the crank...not the wheels.

well be realistic here c'mon 500 HP should put u quicker than 12.8. They have stock lightnings runnin what mid to high on a good day close to low 13's on a bady day 14's with 360 HP at the wheels stock. With 140 more HP should put u quicker than 12.8 in my opinion.

Lampy1978

I Got Worms
Established Member
That seems about right.

Remember, they are starting from a roll, the M3 has the advantage. Stock Lightning runs @13.7. An extra 120 horses seems about right to break into the 12's.

M-Phibian

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that both the Lightning and Cobra were underrated from the factory. I thought they both put out over 410 HP at the crank.

500 HP is a 90 HP jump in the Lightning which is good for around 8/10's of second or so in a 4,700 lb vehicle (depending on the driver). So assuming this Lightning ran a 13.6 stock, a 12.8 is right where he should be with his mods.

ok so what round 450 to 460 to the wheels still should be quicker.

M-Phibian

Established Member
The truck is definitely modded. I can you tell from personal experience that had the Lightning been stock, the M3 would have pulled hard on it from both a stop and a roll. Been there, done that more than a couple times.

M3's with good drivers are running high 12's @ 107-108 bone stock. SMG 6-speed cars will run a tad slower E.T's, due to their lack of launching ability (they can only launch at 1,800 rpm), but will trap around the same as the standard stick 6-speed cars.

Anyway, wasn't trying to start a war. Just posting a video of an SVT vehicle on a SVT forum.:)

You can't even here the blower and it bein a kenny bell should scream a lil.
:)

Last edited:

Panhandle_ws6

Established Member
im just a lil skepticle but its all good. An M3 would be nice. They came out with a bad ass SC setup for it awhile back that made it crazy fast.

M-Phibian

Established Member
The new M3's (2001 and up) are just getting some superchargers available. None on the streets just yet. They'll be good for the 450-500 rwhp at a price so high I get nauseous thinking about it.:whine: :-D

im just a lil skepticle but its all good. An M3 would be nice. They came out with a bad ass SC setup for it awhile back that made it crazy fast.

Last edited:

yellowcobra98

Originally posted by M-Phibian
Lightning run mid to high 13's stock, right? Plus at 4,700 lbs, 500 hp seems about right to me for a 12.8.

Any input from the Lightning guys out there?

I DYNOED 409 AT THE REAR WHEELS ON STOCK F1S MY BEST ET IS 12.5 @109

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
My L, w/ a 4lb lower, T/B and exhaust put down 400 to the wheels.

W/ stock F1's and 7k on them I ran a 12.9 at 107.8
And it sounded a hell of alot more healthy than this L.

I know M3's are fast, but this L does not have 440/450 to the wheels.

That L sounds like it has plain Silver Bullits on it.

Last edited:

02lightning

Established Member
man you cant even hear the blower no way hes puttin 500 to the wheel or crank sounded so weak ive got around 430 at the ground on mine and mine screams 10 times louder

Users who are viewing this thread