5Lug conversion help

TEAL VNM

Established Member
Hey guys,

I am converting my 93 cobra to 5 lug. I just want to know what axles i should run in the rear. I have all the 5 lug stuff off of a 94-95 gt (in the rear)
Are those axles going to make my tires stick out too far? What are fox lenth axles? I want to run 18.10 fr500s in the rear with a 275 tire.

red95gts

Established Member
You'll need Fox-length 5-lug axles to have a prayer of fitting that wheel under the fender. The Fox axles are 3/4" shorter than the SN-95. You'll also need some custom brackets to make the 94+ brakes work. Assuming you are using the 10.65" GT rotor, I'd recommend these:

Fox Mustang rear disc brake 8.8 brackets - 10.5" rotor:eBay Motors (item 180439380522 end time Dec-06-09 18:26:16 PST)

Alternately, the same seller makes brackets to allow you to use a Fox-length axle, a Mark VII rear rotor, and your current 93 Cobra caliper.

There's several ways to skin this cat. Good Luck!

JoeRacer

Established Member
I got some no-name brand brackets some guy made, and they didn't fit. The guy told me to take measurements and he'd make them so they fit. Well he made some but only half of the measurement I had told him, so they still didn't fit. I ended up just eating the cost of those and then buying the NRC brackets.

Go with the NRC brackets, you won't have problems.

I used two R hand (iirc) axles from an aerostar, but two L hand axles from a ranger fit as well.

As you can see in my signature I run the 18x10 FR500 in the rear, with a fox length axle it fits without any problems. I only have had rubbing on the front coz of how low it sits. I did however cut the inner fender lip off my LX, and my 93 Cobra was already rolled when I got it. I got my wheels from American Muscle, and that offset is literally perfect with fox length axles.

red95gts

Established Member
Just to clarify, the guy you had make brackets and the guy in that auction are not the same guy.

I know of more than a few people who have had problems with the NRC brackets. The brackets I posted are made by a good friend of mine and are the best bang for the buck on the market. They are twice as thick, better designed, and cheaper to boot. I'm not a fan of using C-Clip Eliminators, but these brackets require no mods to be able to run them if you so desire.

He's also willing to push the envelope, whereas NRC has been putting the same stuff out for years. 13" rear rotors stuffed in a 15" wheel anyone? 93 Cobra 5-lug conversion without ever cracking open the rear brake lines? You get the idea.

He made a custom set like those for my 8.8/9" hybrid rear in my 91 turbo car. The 8.8" rear end had the HUGE 9" tapered bearing ends, which in the past meant you were limited to running some 1970's Lincoln drum brake because there was no available bracketry. I ran SN-95 calipers with an off-the-shelf 94-98 rear rotor and 93 Cobra e-brake cables. Worked beautifully. No C-clips, no leaks - it was a great setup.

Just my $.02. When I go 5-lug on my 93, Neighbors' brackets will be on the car.

Last edited:

JoeRacer

Established Member
I am not sure if it is the same guy. I said that it was a no-name company. Just some guy who had access to machine equipment and apparently doesn't know how to work it. It was a wasted $90, and several weeks time wasted waiting for new ones to arrive.

The NRC brackets bolted on for me with no problems, they didn't require c-clip eliminators, and I've had 0 problems with them. They have all of the holes drilled for the dust shields, it is basically the same as a stock bracket but just offset for the fox length axles.

If you know the guy making those other brackets, and he is local to you then that sounds like a good alternative for you. If you have a problem you can go over there and get it fixed. However, since I've had the bad experience of going with someone I didn't know because someone recommended them on the board I plan on sticking with larger companies that have been around for while. That's just my opinion though, and I am in no way bad mouthing your guy's brackets or what he is doing by offering brackets for different setups.

I had read about some fitment issues with the NRC brackets, but they were all fixed by using a washer to space it out. I'd say that this is a possibility for any mail-order bracket, but as long as it is on the wide side where a spacer can fix it then I wouldn't worry about it.

This is what happened with the second no-name set I had, that were too narrow and no spacer would help:

CIMG0394.JPG

This was the second set this guy made for me, the first set was even more narrow. I ended up just junking them and going with NRC in the end. Like I said the NRC bolted on with no problems, and I wish I had of just bought them in the first place.

**Edit, sorry for the craptastic pic, but I had literally just broken my camera when I took this pic. While taking these pics the camera slipped out of my greasy little fingers and fell the 18" to the pavement and it never took pics the right way again. You can still see the fitment issues though ...

Last edited:

ralphcobra

Established Member
not to hijack

Guys that have done this swap. Can you give me a part number for the stainless Braided lines that I will need to connect my 13 inch brembo to the fox front hard lines as well as 03 cobra calipers to the rear fox brake lines? I 've all of my parts together for this change but haven't figured out the lines changes yet. Thanks , Ralph

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
Your car looks great Sir. Could you post some pics from behind so we could get an idea how close the tire is to the fender? What brakes did you go with?

Users who are viewing this thread