5th gear BUSTED

stickytack

Established Member
Hey guys, I bought a t56 off of a member here with a broken 5th gear. I've never rebuilt a manual transmission but I figure there's a first time for everything. I pulled the tail shaft housing and this is the view in all of its glorious carnage.

5thallitsglory.JPG

I've been researching my face off for the past few hours and this is definitely 5th gear, but I cannot seem to nail down exactly what parts I should be ordering to replace these. I know the part on the left is the 5th driven gear, but what is the part on the right? Maybe i'm just second guessing myself on all of this. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

stickytack

Established Member
Thank you, I greatly appreciate your response. That manual looks to be a great resource. These parts look to be both of the 5th gear components on that service manual. Any suggestions as to where to buy the parts?

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would be very suspicious of this gearbox. It would help to describe how this happened and what caused it in the first place. Look over the rest of the tranny and make sure the metal from the stripped gear didn't damage things elsewhere. Even a small chunk of metal getting meshed in the gears can bend shafts and/or distort the cases. You would hate to order all those parts only to find the gear cluster has a oblong rotation motion from a tweaked shaft after you replaced the damaged gear. Things like this can cause a chain reaction only to be discovered as you replace parts. Hopefully this is not the case and you will get away with just a new set of gears.

stickytack

Established Member
I've gone over everything else and it all looks fine but i'll closely inspect everything again to make sure. Can anyone enlighten me as to what parts I need to order and give a suggestion as to where I should order from?

SlowSVT

Established Member
You won't see a shaft that has been bent by .010 or a case that's been tweaked so keep that in mind. A pair of V-blocks and a dial indicator would be useful here for checking shaft straightness. Trust nothing!

bubblehead93

Established Member
Tick Performance
The Gear Box
quite a few others...

just search T56 performance upgrades...

most folks provide parts for both the chevy, cadillac, and ford applications...

You need a new driven and speed gear... I would by a set of new lock/snap rings... some are meant to be replaced anytime they are removed...

I echo others advice, check all the bearings, pull the extension housing and main housing, check runout on the mainshaft...

Just suspicious on how you blow up 5th gear...

Since you have to break it down to parade rest AND IF main shaft runout checks out... may want to consider a few upgrades while you have it all apart...

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
5th would require shifting with absolutely no clutch I think....I'd hate to see what became of an engine that was driven that hard...cause that would be a 140+mph shift

Users who are viewing this thread