5th Gear Chunk?

Khyren

Established Member
Did anyone ever find out what the cause of this bearing running dry sound only in 5th gear was? I have it in my mach with only 46k on the clock and when I search for info on it, it's all stuff from about 2005. Trans is the factory 3650 from when the car was built 10/03.

Stang Lover

Established Member
I had that sound also after I installed a clutch when I had my Mach. It didn't do it before but afterwards I always heard a faint scratch sound when in 5th. Never gave me problems though trans was tough.

Khyren

Established Member
All stock gearing in the car. It sounds like a bearing has gone dry but is only in 5th gear. I can't find any recent complaints about that sound so I thought that it might have been solved.

96gt02

Established Member
My mach does this also, almost sounds like a coffee maker until the car warms up, in 5th gear only. Always done it and never had any issues, everyone says it normal so i live with it

Khyren

Established Member
Mine is starting to do this while coasting in neutral now so I'm looking for another transmission asap. There also seems to be a lot of play in the countershaft.

Users who are viewing this thread