5W20 oil: The Hard Truth

CarpetTownCobra

Established Member
We had a tribologist on here that highly recommended the 5W30 Mobil 1 for its ease of procurement and relatively high quality additives package. IOW, it's good stuff and it's available at Wal-Mart.

The others, like AmSoil and Royal Purple, have a distributor network that tacks quite a markup on the product...and they are not readily available should you need a quart. That did it for me, I went with the Mobil 5W30.

He also mentioned that the low number was important during cold starts...don't go above 5. The upper number, don't go above 30. 0W20 = recipe for disaster (there is no such animal btw).

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Originally posted by CarpetTownCobra
We had a tribologist on here that highly recommended the 5W30 Mobil 1 for its ease of procurement and relatively high quality additives package. IOW, it's good stuff and it's available at Wal-Mart.

The others, like AmSoil and Royal Purple, have a distributor network that tacks quite a markup on the product...and they are not readily available should you need a quart. That did it for me, I went with the Mobil 5W30.

He also mentioned that the low number was important during cold starts...don't go above 5. The upper number, don't go above 30. 0W20 = recipe for disaster (there is no such animal btw).

Actually, Mobil 1 just came out with 0W20 specifically for Ford vehicles that recommend a 5W20. If you go to a Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc .. you'll see it on the shelves. They also sound just like bottles of gatorade when you shake them ... is it watery oil ... or is it the oily water? No thanks!

As for the 1st number and the 2nd number, you are almost right, but you really need to read about the science of the weight and viscosity.

Both numbers play a part. Multigrades are complicated compared to straight grade oils because of the options. The first number has to do with cold starting temperature, and the second number has to do with the temps at which it can protect the engine before the oil begins to break down. Considering a multigrade as well - the closer the numbers the better. For example, a 10W30 would be the best choice if you fall into that warm always climate category, 0W30 would be the worst choice for high temp protection because the weight is too far apart from the viscosity. You have a more wide range in high and low temp protection, but you do make sacrifices when you go low and high like that. It's in the book.... in detail ... it blew my mind ... very scientific and factual. Anyone that reads it will say 5W20 is the DEVIL!

It's all in the ABOVE BOOK I originally recommended. I suggest for those who really want to learn about this oil topic in depth, purchase the book.

Mike

ps I'm sure I'm just touching the tip of the iceberg on this topic, I'm giving information that was on less than one page of the book. There's plenty more.

Last edited:

95rcobra

Originally posted by Sonic Blue 2003

Its not that the 5w-20 Mobil One oil was too thin but the 20 weight shear film strength was tearing and the oil loses its ability to protect moving engine parts from friction and wear. it was never a too thin oil issue back then either. the Mobil One 0w-20 would probably work for most passenger cars or trucks but not for supercharged applications where the stress on the oil from heat will be great. Its the some thing with Turbo applications. No one would ever use a 0w-20 oil on a turbo app. the intense heat would rip that oil apart. when I had my Mustang SVO's in the 80's I had to use 15w-50 Mobil One for the best protection. I would not use a 20 weight oil today either on any of my cars beacause I still believe that it will not hold up under stress. 5w-30 or 0w-30 Mobil One is the way to go for long term reliability.

Later, 95rcobra.

------------------------------------
1995 Cobra R model #185
2003 Redfire Cobra coupe #4158.

wjfawb0

Established Member
I just changed my oil for the second time at 6500 miles. I went to Mobil1 5W30. I am not going to worry about it now. :)

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by CarpetTownCobra
The others, like AmSoil and Royal Purple, have a distributor network that tacks quite a markup on the product...and they are not readily available should you need a quart.

What about Redline?

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I was very surprised that the car used 5w20. My old Mazda Rx7 turbo used 20w50 lol. I would suggest warms ups to make sure the oil is at good operating temp though before people start to pound the motor.

I was wondering when the book was written? Also if they still talk about oil differances such as napthinic base verse pariffinic base oils. and the new hydrocrack process of oils.

lesrok

Established Member
So bottom line which oil should I use for my Cobra, I have 11,000 miles and I've been using the oil that Ford recommends to be using. But now I have to switch after reading this. I can't beleive Ford wants your engine to get f**ked at 70,000 miles I need this car to last!!!!:cuss:

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
I was under the impression that Ford recommended the 5W-20 motor oil because of the extremely small oiling passages in the block and heads of the supercharged '03 Cobra motor. If you go with the thicker viscosities you could end up with the head tick, due to lack of oiling at high rpm and high temperatures.

Chew on that for a while.....

<---uses Castrol 5W-20 non-synthetic motor oil...no tick, no nothing...

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I wish somone knew the web site for the cobra's down under or what is advertised for the eruo delivered cars and see what is advertised

Most

Established Member
1. The SAME Ford cars in EUROPE we have here are using 5W30. 5W20 oil was sent to Europe for testing by engineers, and it didn't fly. 5W20 oil is not even available there.

Hello ChicagoMike

I'm from Central Europe.
First let me say, Ford does not sell ANY Cobras in Europe!
All Cobras here are self-imported! Ford-Europe does not even give me a support or any warranty to my car!
I think there are less than 10 Cobras in Europe!

What ever "Ford Cars" means in your book: It will not be the Cobra!

You should NOT mix any wrong Oil in any Motor! For example: My old 1969 Cobra Jet 428 will be DESTROYED if I put in a synthetic oil!
Why?
This particular engine needs a thick mineralic oil (20W50 as I remember) This is neccessary, because all the gaps in the bearings are desined for this thick mineralic oil.
All synthetic oils will not stay in all this gaps and on all the surfaces and it will flow down (My english is not so good, but this Oils are not keeping the surfaces as "wet" as the mineralic Oil)...
If I later start the engine, I will start it "dry". This is very bad for the engine too!

What I want to say: Take the oils for which the engine is designed! Some engines need synthetic oils - some need mineralic oils - the manufacturers tell you which one is ok!.

As I know, Ford Canada gives 5 years of warranty for the Cobra 2003 engine and drivetrain.
Do you really believe they want your engine been destroyed after 70'000 miles???

Best regards from Europe!
Stefan

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Originally posted by Hicompression
I was under the impression that Ford recommended the 5W-20 motor oil because of the extremely small oiling passages in the block and heads of the supercharged '03 Cobra motor. If you go with the thicker viscosities you could end up with the head tick, due to lack of oiling at high rpm and high temperatures.

Chew on that for a while.....

<---uses Castrol 5W-20 non-synthetic motor oil...no tick, no nothing...
My 98 also had those small passages, but Ford recommened 5W30 for it.

Your turn to chew. ;-)

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeBit
My 98 also had those small passages, but Ford recommened 5W30 for it.

Your turn to chew. ;-)

Totally different engine/head design....;-)

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
co.gif

95rcobra

When I had my 2000 Lightning with the supercharged 5.4 motor the factory oil fill was 5w-30. when the 2001 Lightning came out with the same exact engine/head configuration Ford changed the factory oil fill to 5w-20. I seriously doubt that Ford changed the oil passage design on the 03 motors so it could only use 20 weight. thats a bunch of crap. the only thing Ford did was screw up the head and thats why some of them are defective now with the tick. Ford like Honda changed over to 20 weight oil because of fuel economy reasons. I dont think Honda has changed their engine designs in the last 2-3 years.
unless someone shows me proof that these designs were changed for lower viscosity oils I am not buying it. I will stick with the 5w-30 Mobil One oil and I am confident there will be no problems. maybe a little less gas mileage per tankful but thats it.

Later,95rcobra.

-----------------------------------
1995 Cobra R model #185
2003 Redfire Cobra coupe #4158.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Most
Hello ChicagoMike

I'm from Central Europe.
All Cobras here are self-imported! Ford-Europe does not even give me a support or any warranty to my car!

So down at the local Ford dealer, all the oil fill caps don't read 5W20 as in the US? What DO they read, and do any contain identical engines to the ones sold here, with different oil recommendations?

Also wondering if they print up identical owners manuals without the viscosity recommendation.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
I was very surprised that the car used 5w20. My old Mazda Rx7 turbo used 20w50 lol. I would suggest warms ups to make sure the oil is at good operating temp though before people start to pound the motor.

I was wondering when the book was written? Also if they still talk about oil differances such as napthinic base verse pariffinic base oils. and the new hydrocrack process of oils.

The book is new, 2002-2003.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Originally posted by Most
Hello ChicagoMike

I'm from Central Europe.

You should NOT mix any wrong Oil in any Motor! For example: My old 1969 Cobra Jet 428 will be DESTROYED if I put in a synthetic oil!
Why?
This particular engine needs a thick mineralic oil (20W50 as I remember) This is neccessary, because all the gaps in the bearings are desined for this thick mineralic oil.
All synthetic oils will not stay in all this gaps and on all the surfaces and it will flow down (My english is not so good, but this Oils are not keeping the surfaces as "wet" as the mineralic Oil)...
If I later start the engine, I will start it "dry". This is very bad for the engine too!

What I want to say: Take the oils for which the engine is designed! Some engines need synthetic oils - some need mineralic oils - the manufacturers tell you which one is ok!.

As I know, Ford Canada gives 5 years of warranty for the Cobra 2003 engine and drivetrain.
Do you really believe they want your engine been destroyed after 70'000 miles???

Best regards from Europe!
Stefan

I actually meant ENGLAND. I didn't have book with me when I wrote the post ... doh! But *ALL* new Ford vehicles here are recommending 5W20. Our warranty here is 36,000 miles/3 years. In Canada, the temps are much cooler, so 5W20 will probably hold up in the long run. In the southern USA, the 100+ F temps are common all summer long.

Mike

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
5W20 oil is not available in England. The oil caps probably recommend 5W30 and the manual is different too. Don't forget they spell a lot of words differently, etc...! Our manuals and oil caps are specifically for North America (USA and Canada)

Mike

mustarrosa

Established Member
I owned a Saleen S351 in 1997 and the recommended grade was 5w-50. What happened to performance cars and oil since then?

Users who are viewing this thread