6.2 Boss Modular V8

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I don't think it's called modular anymore. That is the engine line it is replacing. Just nitpicking.

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
MT's Jan 09 rag is saying it will appear in the Raptor, but no other regular F150's. They're calling it a super duty truck engine, and it may appear in some Lincolns. What that means to me is, less aftermarket support than the modulars got, and more difficulties for shoehorning one into a mustang. If MT turns out to be right of course.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I don't think it's called modular anymore. That is the engine line it is replacing. Just nitpicking.

Interesting! So, if it's not called a modular, how different is it really from the 4.6 and 5.4 modulars? Will it represent an entire new engine family? How much stuff from the existing modulars would swap over?

Or is it really like the difference between a small block 302/351 and a 429/460?

Homer

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Interesting! So, if it's not called a modular, how different is it really from the 4.6 and 5.4 modulars? Will it represent an entire new engine family? How much stuff from the existing modulars would swap over?

Or is it really like the difference between a small block 302/351 and a 429/460?

Homer

From the wikipedia article it says that the bore centers are different which means Modular heads, intake, cam, crank (basically everything) will be different. Depending on deck height and bore diameter the piston and rods may carry over but I highly doubt it. About the only thing they seem to have in common is that they both have 8 cylinders and overhead cams.

TwistedRay

Banned
One of the more important and interesting thing about these new engines is the type of fuel injection they will have. It will be similar and sorta based on diesel type of fuel injection for vastly increased HP and efficiency.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
One of the more important and interesting thing about these new engines is the type of fuel injection they will have. It will be similar and sorta based on diesel type of fuel injection for vastly increased HP and efficiency.

Cool you pointed this out. Won't they be equipped with the direct injection setup? Similar to the fuel injection in a diesel, where gas is injected at extremely high pressure directly into the combustion chamber. More precise fuel control, more efficient, etc. Some Cadillac cars, and a bunch of European cars, and even the "Ecoboost" engines Ford will be making have this setup.

I'd expect to see direct injection start to appear on the rest of the lineup within the next few years, just as back in the 80's when fuel injection replaced carburetors. It should open up an entirely new avenue of performance and tuning for mustangs, after the kinks get worked out, and people figure out how to work with it.

Homer

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
From the wikipedia article it says that the bore centers are different which means Modular heads, intake, cam, crank (basically everything) will be different. Depending on deck height and bore diameter the piston and rods may carry over but I highly doubt it. About the only thing they seem to have in common is that they both have 8 cylinders and overhead cams.

+1

I don't think anything will be interchangeable. 8 cyl is all that remains the same.

From what little I know, the engine will be pretty close to square. Not severely under square like the 5.4.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
just passing info along from raptoroffraod.com.

My first thought was do one up twin turbo, but I'm thinking that N/A will be the better route. The 6.2L can go all the way up to 7.5L and from what I hear make north of 750hp N/A. I would think getting 500rwhp in a reasonable N/A application for this truck wouldn't be super hard.

of course this route would not be cheap. although building a twin turbo is not a walk in the park either.:beer:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
just passing info along from raptoroffraod.com.

of course this route would not be cheap. although building a twin turbo is not a walk in the park either.:beer:

I can't imagine that 500hp will be that expensive since that's how much they claimed the Raptor R was making with the 6.2L during the Baja 1000. And supposedly Roush is making 700hp with 7.0L which would mean 750hp from 7.5L isn't unbelieveable. Especially when it's pretty common to make 100hp per liter NA with newer engine technology.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I can't imagine that 500hp will be that expensive since that's how much they claimed the Raptor R was making with the 6.2L during the Baja 1000. And supposedly Roush is making 700hp with 7.0L which would mean 750hp from 7.5L isn't unbelieveable. Especially when it's pretty common to make 100hp per liter NA with newer engine technology.

i would think to completely build an engine from 6.2 to 7.5 to handle the 750 crank hp load with a quality engine builder would be at least 10k. i could be wrong though? 500hp crank out of the 6.2, i am thinking cam, longtubes, and tune. maybe 1k?

TwistedRay

Banned
Cool you pointed this out. Won't they be equipped with the direct injection setup? Similar to the fuel injection in a diesel, where gas is injected at extremely high pressure directly into the combustion chamber. More precise fuel control, more efficient, etc. Some Cadillac cars, and a bunch of European cars, and even the "Ecoboost" engines Ford will be making have this setup.

I'd expect to see direct injection start to appear on the rest of the lineup within the next few years, just as back in the 80's when fuel injection replaced carburetors. It should open up an entirely new avenue of performance and tuning for mustangs, after the kinks get worked out, and people figure out how to work with it.

Homer
I've seen a couple trucks with this new engine on the dyno as a part of a trip at Ford's proving ground last year.
All I can say is, I didn't get too close of a look at the engine bay, but the trucks on the dyno made some pretty nasty numbers. The throttle response was very crisp and even the very muffled exhaust sounded sweet.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i have heard something about a truck variant of the dohc 5.0 making 360hp and 400tq for the f150 with the f250 getting the 6.2 as a replacement for the v10.

Users who are viewing this thread