6.2 Boss Modular V8

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
:read: I just recieved "MY FORD" mag in the mail today and i'm seeing that the 6.2 liter will be available this summer with a 500-hp rating as stated by others. :rolling: "WOW" This is looking better every day.

Jroc

Established Member
Cool!

I test drove a new F150 FX4 yesterday and asked the dealer when the Boss 6.2 was coming out, and they said that they don't know much about it, and that it would probably be a coupe of years off for the F150. :shrug:

blksn8k

Established Member
:read: I just recieved "MY FORD" mag in the mail today and i'm seeing that the 6.2 liter will be available this summer with a 500-hp rating as stated by others. :rolling: "WOW" This is looking better every day.

Are you sure it said 500 hp? That's the first time I have seen that. Every thing I have read up till now has said approximately 400 hp. Are you sure they weren't talking about the Raptor R? That truck has been in a couple of off-road races already and several articles have stated that it has around 500 hp but that was with intake and exhaust tuning above and beyond what will be stock on a non-R Raptor.

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
Are you sure it said 500 hp? That's the first time I have seen that. Every thing I have read up till now has said approximately 400 hp. Are you sure they weren't talking about the Raptor R? That truck has been in a couple of off-road races already and several articles have stated that it has around 500 hp but that was with intake and exhaust tuning above and beyond what will be stock on a non-R Raptor.
:read:I'm looking at the mag at this moment and i quote "The 5.4-liter V-8 base engine produces 320 hp and 390 foot pounds of torque*;a 500-hp, 6.2-liter V-8 engine, calibrated to handle the stop-start brutality of racing, will be available in summer 2009." This is word for word what is printed.:-D

blksn8k

Established Member
I just got my copy yesterday and I agree that is what it says. I will believe it when I see the 6.2 in production. Personally, I think whoever wrote that got it wrong. Greg Fouts has stated that the R model has around 500 hp but that it was tweaked to get to that number. They even changed the cams. Not saying that won't be the way the stock Raptor is equipped but other than one sentence in My Ford I have seen no other indication of that. Of course I hope My Ford is right and the Raptor does come stock with 500. :shrug:

Edit: I just sent an e-mail to Brian Wolfe, director of Ford Racing, asking about this. We'll see what he has to say. He replied to another question I asked him recently about the NASCAR FR9 engine.

Last edited:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
One of the mustang magazines just ran a neat article about the history and variations of the modular engine family. I believe it was the July issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. They briefly mentioned the 6.2, calling it a "Big Block Modular". They said it will debut as a "SOHC 2 valve at first", but didn't mention much after that.

Anyone hear anything new?

I'm thinking of doing a 5.4 swap, but I'm holding out to see what variations of the 6.2 engines come out, and what vehicles they will end up in. Any chance they'll have direct injection? Or *praying to the engine gods* twin turbos like the ecoboost engines?

It'll be interesting to see if anyone tries to swap a 6.2 into a mustang. It'll be really exciting to see how the aftermarket reacts.

Homer

blksn8k

Established Member
It'll be interesting to see if anyone tries to swap a 6.2 into a mustang. It'll be really exciting to see how the aftermarket reacts.

Homer

I think Roush has already done that. They were running a Mustang on the strip with a 7 liter version of the Boss. I think they called it the "777" car. 7L, 700 hp @ 7000 rpm.

27498d1245629346-2011-5-0-mustang-what-will-roush-do-mmfp_0711_15_z-ford_mustang_roush_stage_3_experimental_ford_engine-engine_bay.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread