600 HP N/A Carburated Ford 6.2 SOHC Foxbody Notch Build - High 9's Or Bust!!

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
I have been reading about this 6.2 engine, and the " 777 " project, and I am glad to see someone pushing the envelope, and realizing just how capable this engine is. It seems that there is so much Coyote this Coyote that, and making fun of cubic inches that no one is as interested in big cube power as much anymore. Do you think that the head flow will be an issue if you increase displacement especially in the low, and mid lift zones with your current heads? Livernois flow tested the stock 6.2 heads at more than the ported Fox Lakes if I remember correctly. I believe they crossed 320 cfm at .500 lift , and 28 inches of water IIRC.

Not sure how you think the stock heads flow more than these? Fox Lakes have never been tested as these are one-off's and the only set Ron has done. :shrug:

Ron tested the stockers at 320 cfm as well, but not sure the lift. He did recall the ported heads on this motor went past 350 CFM at .650; how far I have no idea. Again, these numbers should be taken with a grain of salt as they were based on his memeory from a few years ago. I'm more of an empirical guy so the track is where this car will be "tuned"/verified.

Last edited:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I would love to talk to you in length about the project. I am in the market for a core motor right now to start figuring stuff out. You are way ahead! Do you think there is room on either valve cover (with a sheet metal cover ) for a distributor? I can tell you now I have 3 of those mod 6 boxes on my shelf with bad coil drivers! You might be ok on motor, but start increasing cylinder pressure that box wont keep up. The exhaust flow seams low comparied to the intake. We are running a 304" 2v carb, on a plate system right now and have people scratching there heads, wait till they see that this motor can do.
Micah M

PM me on a 6.2 core, might be able to help.

germeezy1

Established Member
Not sure how you think the stock heads flow more than these? Fox Lakes have never been tested as these are one-off's and the only set Ron has done. :shrug:

Ron tested the stockers at 320 cfm as well, but not sure the lift. He did recall the ported heads on this motor went past 350 CFM at .650; how far I have no idea. Again, these numbers should be taken with a grain of salt as they were based on his memeory from a few years ago. I'm more of an empirical guy so the track is where this car will be "tuned"/verified.

Good to hear because I did not know that the numbers were over 350 cfm at .650. I believe the stockers were tested at just a tad over 320 cfm at .500 by Livernois IIRC. Regardless I don't think you will run into flow issues at 9.8:1, and stock displacement. This will be a definite achievement on pump gas N/A, and I can't wait to see the results.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
This is very cool, but I must admit I haven't been following the 6.2s very closely. How large are they compared to say a 4.6 4 valve? Do you know how much the engine weighs?

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
This is very cool, but I must admit I haven't been following the 6.2s very closely. How large are they compared to say a 4.6 4 valve? Do you know how much the engine weighs?

Definitely bigger than a 4V 4.6, more along the lines of a 5.4 DOHC, maybe a little wider but if so not by much.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
i just wanna know how the guy ran the motor off the 2010 wiring and spanish oak. especially with the dual spark plugs

Paul really knows his stuff. Saw that car in person and it was no joke.

Last edited:

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member

They are 30" at the widest point of the covers. Supposedly, they weigh around 540 lb fully dressed (all front acc), but this engine is probably under 500lb. The cast iron exhaust manifolds weighed 20lb each! I don't have A/C, P/S, misc pullies, any fuel injection BS, 10lb saved on the damper, lightweight headers, etc. With a tubular K member, manual steering, manual brakes, etc there is going to be a TON of weight off of the front end of the car.

Matt

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Paul really knows his stuff. Saw that car in person and it was no joke.

That is a fact. He is a great guy and a very respected tuner. I can't thank him enough for the deal he worked out with me. Easily less than 50 cents on the dollar compared to starting from scratch.

Good deal! I feel you on not wanting to pay livernois' price on the bottom end parts. As far as I know they still only offer their stroker kit in billet.

They are a great shop and pioneer many avenues, been there many a time when I lived in MI. But, their mark up is a little wild for a Callies forged crank, H-Beams, and custom pistons shortblock($8k). I can get 11:1 Manley .005 overbore 2618 pistons, Manley H-Beams with ARP 2000 bolts, and a Total Seal ring package for $1150 shipped. 20 cubes is minimal and all this motor needs is compression and good rod bolts. Plus there are lightening, knife edging, cryo-treating, and armor coating options to mke a stock crank live, all of which are thousands less than a $4k crank. The Whipple and Roush Raptors are beating the hell out of the stock cranks at 650 to the tire and the short block is begging for more.

Last edited:

RFM50

Established Member
I just saw this post.Damn dude your really moving along with this project. Just like Matt said, let us know when your ready to start pulling shit apart and we will be down to help.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
That is a fact. He is a great guy and a very respected tuner. I can't thank him enough for the deal he worked out with me. Easily less than 50 cents on the dollar compared to starting from scratch.

They are a great shop and pioneer many avenues, been there many a time when I lived in MI. But, their mark up is a little wild for a Callies forged crank, H-Beams, and custom pistons shortblock($8k). I can get 11:1 Manley .005 overbore 2618 pistons, Manley H-Beams with ARP 2000 bolts, and a Total Seal ring package for $1150 shipped. 20 cubes is minimal and all this motor needs is compression and good rod bolts. Plus there are lightening, knife edging, cryo-treating, and armor coating options to mke a stock crank live, all of which are thousands less than a $4k crank. The Whipple and Roush Raptors are beating the hell out of the stock cranks at 650 to the tire and the short block is begging for more.

I totally agree with everything you said. ..I had talked to Rick about those prices before and yes they do awesome work but after researching prices myself. ... they aren't for everyone

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Small update, got the front accessory drive buttoned up.

IMG_0656-1.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

Took a 70" Gates belt that puts the tensioner slack at about 40% of the range. This is with a custom idler in place of the A/C that allow the stock tensioner/pulley, idler, alternator pulley, and 7" underdriven crank below.

IMG_0658.jpg

Custom "one-off" Fluidamper 7" underdriven harmonic balancer. Custom crankshaft bolt machined from scratch!

IMG_0659.jpg

New Motorcraft OEM 150 amp alternator with grade 10.9 10-1.5X80 flanged bolts

That's all for now. Working on motor mounts. The 96-04 4.6 mounts work vertically with the 3.125 spacing, but the horizontal is off by 2-3 inches on each side. I really want to run the Team Z k memeber for a modular, so I'll likely be fabbing the solid mounts or modifying a set of solid mounts. More to come when I pick up the chassis this weekend!

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread