600+rwhp cobra to C6Z06?

smitty2919

Established Member
Well, i'm bored so i'll chime in here. I've considered buying a vette before. For what you're getting in terms of numbers, I liked the idea of a C5z for my particular budget. You can get them for pretty cheap, in good condition, sometimes with tasteful mods too, if you look around for a little while.

But the negatives that I personally see? I don't trust the IRS for hard launches. I don't feel any connection with corvettes thus far and I've driven three. I don't like the typical corvette-owner stereotypes. I don't like 80% of corvette owners i've met in person ----> uppity for no apparent reason, especially the guys who have never been seen driving their car hard, no auto crossing or drag racing or street racing, just walking around with an attitude at meets like the world owes them a blowjob or something? :bowdown: And honestly I just don't trust GM's engineering all that much either.
Don't get me wrong. Can't knock the cars themselves, they've obviously got the track data to back up the hype. Vettes are badass and there is a wide variety of them to choose from. Just really not my thing after looking at them, pondering, test driving. So I bought a '73 Duster instead :poke: and decided to turn my '13 Coyote into a straight up pro-touring build to fulfill the handling aspect of my life: Watts link, full suspension, 3-point subframe connectors, racing seats & rear seat delete, pretty big bump in wheel & tire front & rear, adjustable camber plates, brake lines & pads, CJ throttle body/manifold, exhaust, tune, possibly cams & head work....pretty much the works except for going way overboard, and I guarantee it will out handle most vettes when it's done as well as burn most of them on the street. The vettes outrunning me will be boosted 98% of the time. But I still have the trusty live axle around back for whenever I want to bolt on some slicks and hit the strip, should be able to cut high 10's all motor in good conditions. So. That's where my head is at right now.

If you pass on buying a care due to the "stereotype" that comes with them then I think you are insecure and have an issue...It's a damn car LOL. Who said YOU have to walk around acting like that?

And I'm not 100% sure if you are serious about "out handling" a vette with a full suspension GT. And I HIGHY doubt you will be beating C6Z's with a intake/tune/exhaust 5.0...a C6Z will NOT need boost to keep up and or pull away from you lol.

Look back at your response about how much money you have put into you GT to get it "on par" with a stock C6Z...the point everyone makes is that C6Z is a better all around platform from the start. Shocks and tires and it will be a treat.

Plus "LOL" at the notion of "out handling"...there are so many variables in that statement there is no way you can quantify it.

lucheski

Established Member
I drug plenty of C6Z06 with both my 621hp vert and 666hp coupe in sig...just sayin.... maybe it's time for E85...it'll be cheaper than buying a new car...depending on your state you could be thousands of dollars in, sales tax, loan fees, and registration fees....

another thing is many people who made the switch say the Vette has smoother feel and doesnt "feel" as fast or RAW as the terminator

Last edited:

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Different strokes for different folks. Its ok to grow out of the raw muscle car feel to something that can do it all, its perfectly normal. I am the guy that likes my cake and can eat it too. I can never part with mustang because of that Ford DNA in me from when I was kid. From a racing stand point usually a car that can do it all is going to lack in something. The mustang hands down if purpose built can do straight-line racing, auto-cross, circuit racing etc etc but thats when you want a purpose built project and not many people do not want to wrench and do it. This is where the vette shines because it is like a jack of all trades so I can understand where all the owners are coming from. I still think sound of mustang will always be more distinct then a vette imho.

maverick0817

Established Member
I ran a stock c6z in my pullied cobra from a roll and he wasn't that much faster than me. I will say this, my next car will probally be a vette. I would buy a c6 grand sport, and do a cam, long tubes, and a blower. You can easily make 700 WHP and be in a completely different league than your current cobra.

CaDDy

Banned
Go for the Z! Why not try something new? IF for some reason it doesn't feel as fast as your Cobra it's not like the vette is only good in a straight line.

I like how light and nimble my ST feels compared to my GT and I haven't even begun to push the limits of this car( being in a Chicago winter and all). I cannot fathom the potential of a well prepped C6Z, basically pads,fluids and tires lol. OP due your homework and get someone to look at the motor for you so you don't hurt it or blow it up (yes even stock).

Post up some pics when you go to the dark side. Most of us are car guys, even if a lot of us on here bleed Blue.

Tech4Dummies

Established Member
If you pass on buying a care due to the "stereotype" that comes with them then I think you are insecure and have an issue...It's a damn car LOL. Who said YOU have to walk around acting like that?

And I'm not 100% sure if you are serious about "out handling" a vette with a full suspension GT. And I HIGHY doubt you will be beating C6Z's with a intake/tune/exhaust 5.0...a C6Z will NOT need boost to keep up and or pull away from you lol.

Look back at your response about how much money you have put into you GT to get it "on par" with a stock C6Z...the point everyone makes is that C6Z is a better all around platform from the start. Shocks and tires and it will be a treat.

Plus "LOL" at the notion of "out handling"...there are so many variables in that statement there is no way you can quantify it.

Did you miss the other reasons why I chose not to buy a vette? Stereotype was only one. Don't hit me with the middle school "I can be my own person, screw what everyone else is doing or acting like" thing. Please, spare me. :rollseyes

I never said I was going to stick with just bolties though. I really like the idea of top end work. Just cams at roughly a half inch lift and 230-235 degrees duration plus the bolties and E85 should be good for around 500 rwhp. I think it was Revolution Automotive who posted Comp stage 3's on a Coyote, pump gas, making 470 at the wheels.

Not that I was ever considering a C6z anyway, I was looking at C5z's. Even with the money I plan on putting into the Coyote, $34k sticker and probably close to 15k aftermarket, once it's all said and done? That's Boss 302 LS money and it's going to be a much better performer than the LS.

Sure I guess I could've found a C6z for roughly the same kind of money, now that I think about it? But it would've been an early model C6z where I would've immediately wanted to go for larger oil capacity because of the cornering/oil starvation issues people were having at first on the track. I would've wanted to get at least a catback and a tune on it as well. Plus the cost of replacing whatever size meats came out back on a fairly regular basis, I drive hard. We all know the quicker RWD domestic burn 'em up pretty fast and i'm not interested in spending $500/tire for 335's (or whatever size they come with?) every ten thousand miles or so, at best, lol. That gets ridiculous, i'm not exactly wealthy, not like that. Took me quite a while to pinch pennies and drive a piece of $h1t car to comfortably afford the things I have without starving myself in the process if i'm honest. :shrug: Hence, why I was looking at C5z's and not C6z's.

Users who are viewing this thread