600+rwhp cobra to C6Z06?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I will never hesitate to sacrifice overall horsepower for a very sizable weight drop and far better handling and refinement. Plus, the C6Z will be just as fast with some very basic bolt-ons.

Get the Z.
+1

I would take a stock c6z over a built turbo terminator ANYDAY.
Would still love to have a new c6z, too bad dealers want crazy prices for them.

hey11101

Established Member
Just a thought also, 06 vipers are very similar in performance as a c6z06 but might give you that raw feeling of a cobra while being an upgrade in many ways. With the 06 Viper models, the 500HP ones are around 45K now, the same as a well kept c6z06.

Last edited:

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Just a thought also, 06 vipers are very similar in performance as a c6z06 but might give you that raw feeling of a cobra while being an upgrade in many ways. With the 06 Viper models, the 500HP ones are around 45K now, the same as a well kept c6z06.

Good point, the Gen 3 hardtops are coming down in price, I would love to have one this time around.

FIVEHOE

Established Member

ehhhh if you've ever driven a viper for an extended period of time I certainly would not recommend that vehicle to anyone, especially if its a DD.

A bunch of my dads friends all wanted/got vipers too until they realized how uncomfortable they are. Funny thing is now they have vettes/porsche's

smitty2919

Established Member
IMO I see a C6 as a overall better quality car. It's in a different league than a New Edge Cobra.

I've owned a 99 Cobra (which can't be much different from a 03/04 cobra in terms of ride quality) and only rode in a 99 base, and two 03 Z06's at autocross. And I was amazed how well the corvettes felt around the track. They didn't feel "cheap" to me like a interior panel was going to fall off. Like others have said they are a more refined car overall.

I would love a base C5 to be my DD and autocross toy but I don't have the wallet for one. So my 95 Z28 will suffice :)

hey11101

Established Member
ehhhh if you've ever driven a viper for an extended period of time I certainly would not recommend that vehicle to anyone, especially if its a DD.

A bunch of my dads friends all wanted/got vipers too until they realized how uncomfortable they are. Funny thing is now they have vettes/porsche's

Hmm going to disagree on you on that one, you can say the same thing about the 03/04 cobra with sitting position/ride quality but people still love the car and in my opinion is hold value pretty well. Gen 3 vipers are a lot more refined when compared to gen1, sure its not a Cadillac but it can be driving everyday it just take the right person to do so.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I've driven my c6z a ton this summer. Probably 4 k miles or more. It makes a decent long distance driver. I've driven it an hour at a time a few times a week, and an 8 hour trip to ohio non-stop. Zero issues and with the bimode exhaust it's completely fine. All my other cars are actually louder on the freeway.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
^driving the speed limit its an hour and half each way to the city when i go with the car so when i go out in it always for a "long ride"

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
^driving the speed limit its an hour and half each way to the city when i go with the car so when i go out in it always for a "long ride"

my cts-v is the most comfortable commuter i've ever been in----bar none. it can be had with a 6 speed, and is a pulley change away from mid-11s

MTBSully

Established Member
Any other opinions here? Really struggling with weather to keep modding my 750hp turbo cobra or buy a c6 z or second gen cts-v and do H/C/I

RSbeast

Established Member
I have a single turbo sn95 I'm putting together as a side toy and aside from it being 10x easier to work on and cheaper; I don't have any excitement towards it. 3 sn95s, a new edge and an s197 later; I'll take the vette all day every day. It's just so much more fun to drive and you're in it vs on top of it.

I'm probably going to off both towards a c6z; I just really like the low slung and cockpit feel of my c5

Blackoyote

Established Member
I currently have a 600whp Cobra and I can't WAIT for the day to come where I can get into a C6Z. Having had plenty of seat time in them, the fact it's a little slower in stock form doesn't bother me. It's an all around better car. Hell, I plan on buying one that already has the good shit done, as I don't plan on dropping all that coin on the Corvette tax.

White_Snake

Established Member
I've had 3 03/04 cobras ranging from 450rwhp to my latest which was 600rwhp. I sold my cobra and bought a HCI C6Z. The Z is def faster by far with 585 rwhp. Everything about the car is better than the mustang interior/handling/looks/gas mileage/cheaper insurance and the list goes on. The 03/04 cobra is still my fav mustang but I dont plan on selling my Z anytime soon lol.

Tech4Dummies

Established Member
Well, i'm bored so i'll chime in here. I've considered buying a vette before. For what you're getting in terms of numbers, I liked the idea of a C5z for my particular budget. You can get them for pretty cheap, in good condition, sometimes with tasteful mods too, if you look around for a little while.

But the negatives that I personally see? I don't trust the IRS for hard launches. I don't feel any connection with corvettes thus far and I've driven three. I don't like the typical corvette-owner stereotypes. I don't like 80% of corvette owners i've met in person ----> uppity for no apparent reason, especially the guys who have never been seen driving their car hard, no auto crossing or drag racing or street racing, just walking around with an attitude at meets like the world owes them a blowjob or something? :bowdown: And honestly I just don't trust GM's engineering all that much either.

Don't get me wrong. Can't knock the cars themselves, they've obviously got the track data to back up the hype. Vettes are badass and there is a wide variety of them to choose from. Just really not my thing after looking at them, pondering, test driving. So I bought a '73 Duster instead :poke: and decided to turn my '13 Coyote into a straight up pro-touring build to fulfill the handling aspect of my life: Watts link, full suspension, 3-point subframe connectors, racing seats & rear seat delete, pretty big bump in wheel & tire front & rear, adjustable camber plates, brake lines & pads, CJ throttle body/manifold, exhaust, tune, possibly cams & head work....pretty much the works except for going way overboard, and I guarantee it will out handle most vettes when it's done as well as burn most of them on the street. The vettes outrunning me will be boosted 98% of the time. But I still have the trusty live axle around back for whenever I want to bolt on some slicks and hit the strip, should be able to cut high 10's all motor in good conditions. So. That's where my head is at right now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread