67 L78 Chevelle SS 396 vs 71 GSX 455 Stage 1 - Solid Drag Race

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
For that race to be equal they should have had a 70 GSX or really just a regular stage1 since the GSX is probably heaver. That is if you are comparing stock for stock which these cars are not so I guess I shouldn't have made this comment anyway. LOL

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Rules

The extra compression allowance will help some cars more than others. Beyond that, there isn't that much that helps beyond maybe 2.5" mandrel bent exhausts and perhaps a shift kit of it's an auto. Those things aren't going to turn a 14 second car in to a bottom 12 second car though. They're not allowed to run slicks or drag radials, the old boss ply tires hook better than you think, and is normal to find worn out front oem springs for weight transfer.

Not sure why people are doubting these cars as about as close to stock are you could ever truly get, their weights, ETs, and MPH all work out for the most part.

Last edited:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
My very first car was a '67 SS396 Chevelle, exactly like the one in vid, except mine was blue. I must have street raced that car HUNDREDS of times. We'd hang out at this one big shopping area in the 70's, hundreds of muscle cars, then race each other on a nearby highway all night long. Lotta fun!

-

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Rules depends on what class they are running in. The really "FAST" cars run into the 9s with lots of mods that you can't see and you are right, they cut amazing 60s with those bias ply tires, they hook great when you get the suspension right.

Not doubting the times, I just know they would not run those numbers without all the tricks that those guys put into the cars. We were at the Mopar Nationals one year and a couple of the "FAST" series cars were there. They looked like concourse show cars but ran like race cars. Pretty cool to watch.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
The FAST are very different from these cars. F.A.S.T. cars get to run alllllll kinds of different stuff whereas these cars are way more rule bound.

You CAN run some interesting cams since the rules say measurements are to be taken at 0.050 and lift must be stock. You could slip something special in there but you still need to have 16" idle unless the factory cam couldn't maintain 16" idle. Even still, for most of these cars, the advantage isn't that great.

Users who are viewing this thread