680 ft/lbs of torque...

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Well my car has dyno'd 680 ft/lbs before... So what does that mean for me?
well...here are some pictures...
I got towed after I was driving to a party saturday night.. I was in 3rd gear and I decided to rev it and just drop the clutch while I was already doing about 35mph or so.. ( I know, it was stupid) but oh well, live and learn..
towed.jpg

I was so close of hitting the front bumper where my intercooler and oil cooler sit, so I almost went ape shit on the tow truck guy.. but it was ok..
So here are some carnage pics I took after I disassembled it...
MS4thgr.jpg

Thats a picture of the input shaft gear(4th) all the way on the left near the case.. See all the missing teeth?

CS34gr.jpg

Thats the countershaft, whats left of it,, notice both the left 2 gears (3rd n 4th) are missing TONS of teeth?

someteeth.jpg

Some of the teeth at the bottom of the trans case

gearclose.jpg

close up of the gears

gearsout.jpg

tornapart.jpg

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
I had the RPM's well over 5k
Oh and I failed to mentioned that this transmission is the GForce built T5.. I had it since Nov 06'.. plenty of drag strip time and yet I broke it playing on the street, lol Go figure huh?
But I called GForce and they are sending me new parts, I am paying for it tho, no warranty

buddha93

Established Member
Smoked a G-force eh? That is a little ironic you killed it playing on the street and not the track. So what sort of power are you making?

racerbox77

Established Member
The fact that your wingin on it like that makes me smile! I love drivin these cars and havin fun!

Last edited:

670 of 4993

Head Colostomizer
Established Member
Oh and I failed to mentioned that this transmission is the GForce built T5.. I had it since Nov 06'.. plenty of drag strip time and yet I broke it playing on the street, lol Go figure huh?
But I called GForce and they are sending me new parts, I am paying for it tho, no warranty

would you recommend one of their rebuild kits?

and yea, its a blast boosting in these things :banana:

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
would you recommend one of their rebuild kits?

and yea, its a blast boosting in these things :banana:

Well like I said, I had this thing at the drag strip with drag radials on, and at 15 PSI and hard launches and had no issues...
I do like the way the trans shifts and had acted up till that point, but Im sure my shifting the way I did not help at all
I would recommended for sure.. I mean, what kind of transmissions can handle 680 ft/lbs torque to the tires and weigh under 100 lbs? lol

buddha93

Established Member
What kind of RPM's were you launching at, and what were your 60ft's? I'm assuming the tranny isn't a pro-shifted version?

I have a standard 3550 that I've gotten my share of abuse out of with 6k lauches on full slicks, putting a full weight LX through the 60' in the 1.4 range.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Yeah, thats probably what my t5z looks like. A local guy had a H/C/I/14psi setup, and blew 3rd gear on the street. He just wanted the trans gone, so I picked it up for free. Someday I'll get around to attempting to learn how to rebuild it.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Launching them isn't what breaks them generally. Third gear is the weak link in all T5's (and probably most other trans).

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
What kind of RPM's were you launching at, and what were your 60ft's? I'm assuming the tranny isn't a pro-shifted version?

I have a standard 3550 that I've gotten my share of abuse out of with 6k lauches on full slicks, putting a full weight LX through the 60' in the 1.4 range.

Well you definately got me on the 60 time,, my personal best on this car with the drag radials was like a low 1.7's But my car was set up for road race suspension everytime I have gone out to the strip with the ET Street radials... And anything above 4k on my launches cause bad wheel spin so I have to ease into it... my torque curve is flat and comes on really early in the RPM unfortunately...
my best was an 11.93 @ 122+ mph.. mising 3rd gear briefly and that was with a 1.9ish 60ft time.. Vegas elevation is 2200 ft.
Oh and no it isnt a pro shifted T5 and my car is stock 93 Cobra with heavier 18' wheels/tires.. 3ft long 12" sub box in the back, intercooled turbo and all that extra weight, so Im probably around 3500 lbs with driver? I weight 150ish

buddha93

Established Member
Oh, I wasn't really trying to compare 60' time or anything, just pointing out that even the standard 3550 can take some abuse. It was also in a previous car that I had with a drag suspension setup.

Heck, the one time I've had mine at the track the best I could muster in the 4 or so runs was a 1.9. I'm going to attempt to make a few trips this year and see if I can turn some decent times.

1slohawk

Established Member

I went through the same thing I have a G-force T5 that was about a year old about 4 passes at the track. one of the few times I ran it on the street racing a friend I snapped several teeth off 3rd gear. apparently a lot of people have the same problem with g-forces with 3rd gear. reguardless I took it to g-force to have them rebuild it since there only about an hour away from me. Its back in the car so hopefully it last longer this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread