7.3 cranks and cranks, but won't start...

matted2thefloor

Established Member
My father-in-law's company has a 99 F-350 box w/ the 7.3 200K+ and has recently been acting up again. If they park it with the "butt" down on a grade it will crank and crank but not start........until oil is added to ( I'm assuming the injection pump fill hole...right to the right of the fuel filter cap ). I just had to go over this morning and add the oil in this location to get it to start...and it did start. He said it happened once before and had what he said a "pump" replaced at $1900. Now it's back doing the same thing. Due to the fact that the oil is "low", where is it going and what is the fix?

Thanks...

DieselSVT

Established Member
Your probably filling the High Pressure Oil pump reservoir. If its draining back it might need a pump. Check the regular oil level as well on flat ground before you park it. Just park the thing on flat ground anyway...;-)

04SVT-L

Established Member
make sure its not tha cam sensor before you go doing everything else. a bad cam sensor is VERY common on 7.3l's. they are only a few bucks

wicked90lx

Established Member
it doesnt mean you have a bad pump. you have a high pressure oil leak! Remove the fuel filter cap...Is the fuel black? (oil mixed in) if not, injector o-rings are good. Remove both valve covers along with vc gaskets. Fill resevoir. remove connector to ipr. figure out a way to apply 12 volts to ipr. crank engine with 12 volts applied to ipr... watch injectors. look for oil coming from injector other then where it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread