7 isnt a lucky number, bad cylinder

zepfloyd69

well had the car up on the dyno yestorday, and all i have to say is WTF.

somehow my kb had very little oil left in it, more like gum at the bottom of the dipstick, and then, the sh1t hit the fan

ticking, and number 7 cylinder went bad, i know there was something about the head tick issue, but what is the deal with every cylinder fine except 7.

so now my car is out of business for a while and dont know when ill get it back

anyone here have any ideas whats up here

also anyone have any ideas on the best way to repair the car from here, should i put it back to stock and try to get it done under warranty?

also if the block is ok, ill know on monday when the engine is taken apart, what is my best course of action

thanks for all the help guys

PhillyCobra

Established Member
What do you mean by # 7 "went bad"?

Did you run the car with the KB oil low, or was it low when you ended the run with the noise?

zepfloyd69

#7 has no compression, and all i know is that by the end of the day there was just about no oil left in the blower

not sure if the oil was leeking through a seal or what, but ill know on monday what exactly happened after the motor is disassembled

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
I would guess that the kb being low on oil could've added heat to the problem, but I would guess you were already running that motor to "hot" or lean...

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I think we need more info. How much hp and boost were you pushing?

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
yup need more info...Tune ... A/F ...how much boost give as much as you can thanks

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your problems.

How much boost were you running?
Did you have a HPH oil spray kit?
How often did you check the oil in the blower?

Mine was checked at least once a week, if not more and it never showed any oil loss from the blower.

You won't know the extent of the damage till its apart, no sense speculating.
JMO, but it's useless to rebuild with stock parts. The same thing will happen again and if it's coming out of your pocket, the Ford parts are ridiculously expensive.

Keep us posted.

zepfloyd69

here are some stats you were all asking about

i recently changed from the 3.5 to the 3 inch pulley rated at 17lbs of boost, changed the injectors to 55#s, and added a C&L mass air, on the dyno the boost was up around 18lbs, while the car was on the dyno and being tuned the bottom end was rediculously fat, pinging 10.1 up until 4000rpm,

i dont have the spray kit, but i never saw any oil spray anywhere

i was checking the oil about once every 2 weeks and last i checked no problems

on my original tune for the 12lbs of boost i ran 529rwhp, i was hoping for around 600 with the current mods, but ill have to wait now

just curious, if i need to rebuild which i think i might, any suggestions, should i do a stroker kit and maybe some port and polished heads,

should i try to find another motor,

thanks for all the help

zepfloyd69

i know this is going to be expensive

nope i wasnt at razors edge, i was up at the new superchips office in orlando

PhillyCobra

Established Member
twin,

Not sure what you meant about bottom end being "ridicuously fat" at 10.1, yet you were pinging. If you're pinging at 10.1, something else was very wrong (timing, perhaps bad injector on #7, or with no oil in KB, perhaps a piece of your KB ingested into cylinder #7).

Sorry to hear this. Hope your rebuild goes well. At least it's an opportunity to upgrade.

zepfloyd69

what i meant was that the air fuel ratio stayed at 10.1 to 1 until about 4000rpm and then went up from there,

when i said pinging i should have clarified that, sorry, i meant that the a/f stayed at 10.1 to1

anyone got some ideas for my rebuild?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I guess it depends on what has to be replaced in the motor and how much you want to spend. Our block and crank are fine. Our rods are good too, the pistons would be the first thing to upgrade. Once you find out what has to be replaced you can decide on which way to go.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
twin,

Lots of threads on www.modularfords.com of guys rebuilding their engines (most after blowing them up). Much discussion of pistons, heads, etc.

From my reading of these threads, besides pistons, major area to focus on is the tune, as most failures are from going too lean or too advanced in timing. Would also check out the new coolant mod from Apten, pertaining to problems with cylinders 7 and 8.

Good luck.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Holly Shit Twin. We either have the worst luck or Ford just makes a shity motor..Sounds like you're going to build a beast now.
Hang in there br. I know your pain..!

AHD

Established Member
Is your car at Lamotta performance in orlando? Has ARE wheels? Sweet ride. Looks like you blew a seal in the charger. I think they were going to tear it down on monday.

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by Killer Cobra
Holly Shit Twin. We either have the worst luck or Ford just makes a shity motor..Sounds like you're going to build a beast now.
Hang in there br. I know your pain..!

That's it, blame the motor for modifications you did to it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A blower seal is causing no compression in #7:shrug: ....OK but I think I'd take a look at the exhaust valves on the left head first...:thumbsup:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69442#post69442
Here is some info I found on changes made to late 03 and 04 heads.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR
Hey people,

New guy here! I'm mostly over on the Lightning forums. Maybe I can add some input here since I used to be in Ford powertain. The blue mark on the drivers side head indicates updated casting. There are no changes to the 04 heads from the late changes in the 03 Cobra's, Mach's, Aviator and Marauder.

Ford would have had to re-certify emissions for 04, pay for R&D and release a new calibration, if the flow or cumbustion charicteristics changed in the casting. That would have costed them alot of $$$ and time they didn't have for 04 MY.

They changed the casting coolant passeges around the #7 & #8 cylinders. Ford was finding the coolant was not flowing fast enough to cool the valves.
When the valves get extremely hot, they do not seat correctly. This causes the ticking.

Ask to see the flow #'s between the late 03 and 04 heads before spending the $$$. Like the Mach's, the 04 Cobra might have received a slightly improved calibration for Job#1. I know, I was at Deaborn Asy re-flashing a few 04 Mach's, Mustang GT's prior to production release. Maybe that's where the 7 additional hp is coming from??

please note that if the exhaust valves are not cooled enough they will eventually burn......no comp on #7 or #8

had a few ticks w/aviators and marauders....and more than a few burned exhaust valves on Navigators (not on mine though):thumbsup::shrug:

Last edited:

zepfloyd69

Thanks for the advice so far guys, and ill keep you all updated on the progress

AHD, yes my car is at Lamottas and i think they are tearing it down tomorrow so ill have more info for you all on the problem

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread