7 Quarts of oil??.....

JP_Stang

Established Member
Hey guys,

I was on the SN95 Forums, and I came across a thread where a guy was asking what oil he should use in his 96 Cobra. The thing that stuck out to me was some of the guys responding where telling him to use 7 quarts of oil even tho the dip stick shows completely full at 6 quarts?? :dw:

Is this something us 4V guys should be doing? If so, why? What are the pro's and con's to this? I was always told that is better to be a little low on oil than to be over full. This is all new news to me.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I saw the same thread and have read on here many guys using 7 qts something about oils wings/oil pan.

My manual says 6 qts. I fill with 6 qts. and it reads full on the dot.

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
Same here....full at 6 qts. Just don't see the point in overfilling...If I had a 7qt pan then I would put in 7qts...not 8. Makes sense to me.

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
7 qts on my 98 Cobra. 6 qts would be on the low side on the dipstick

White96svt

Established Member
I've had two different 4v cobra motors and both of them were low at 6qts. 6 would barely put oil on the stick in one motor and the other it wouldn't reach it at all. One took 7 qts and the other was about 7 1/4, using less would trigger the oil light.

gq916

Established Member
used to do 6...it would show low oil in the car after a few hundred miles..now i use 7 and the light never comes on

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Most people do 7 quarts because at high RPM the oil stays up in the heads longer possibly running the risk of not enough oil for the bottom end..

97cobra1

Established Member
I've ran 7 quarts for at least the passed two years. Never had an issue. I seem to remember coming across a post on another forum regarding this and from what i remember, the oil pan will hold 7 quarts or a bit over and like said above, it will help prevent starvation at prolonged higher rpms.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I believe the crank also does not sit in the oil pan so overfilling isn't really an issue, of course that is within reason and reason seems to be 7 quarts

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Yes put 7 quarts in. End of discussion. If you think otherwise you have not done a search and seen the conclusive evidence that 7 quarts will not damage anything at all, not even 8 will be high enough to be whipped by the crank or anything. 7 quarts or you're a fool.

The thread I'm talking about might be in the new edge section fwiw, but do a search.

Users who are viewing this thread