7 yr old and tire shine DON'T MIX!!!!

446runner

Established Member
Son and a friend decided to jump in the back of my truck (Chevy 2500HD) where I had my care car bucket after washing my truck..........

They then decide to apply the thickest effin' tire shine I have ever bought to the roof, just over the 3rd brake light. It ran down the back glass. I have 3 pronounced streaks and it seems as if it has "soaked" in to the glass.

I have tried all types of home and auto cleaners (409, simple green, comet, vinegar, windex,) my next step is to try acetone, lacquer thinner, or something. Can someone give me any ideas on which chemical to try dont know if you can "fade" the glass or F anything up.

Thanks alot

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Get about 1/2 a bottle of Windex and mix in straight Ammonia.

Spray it on the glass (assuming it's not aftermarket tint) and scrub it with a terry cloth washrag. Should get it off.

Hopefully you can teach them how to do the tires next time to save you some effort :burnout:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
My next combo would be SimpleGreen cut 4:1 with a healthy squirt of Dawn soap in it...works great on grease and silicones in general...

If none of that works order you a bottle of the Zaino glass polish if you want a glass-specific product to try.

Westley's BleachWhite tire cleaner would also have a great shot at taking the tire shine off...and you can find it anywhere for cheap, plus it really does clean tires nicely.

I'm sure Mixxer or someone will chime in shortly, seems to be a slow weekend on the forum.

SNCBOOM

Established Member

Spray it on the glass (assuming it's not aftermarket tint) and scrub it with a terry cloth washrag. Should get it off.

Hopefully you can teach them how to do the tires next time to save you some effort :burnout:

Tint is usually applied from the inside or no? But this seems like it would work. Then again, I've never had this happen. Hope it works.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Tint is usually applied from the inside or no? But this seems like it would work. Then again, I've never had this happen. Hope it works.

I'd say 99% of the time it's on the inside; but I've seen cases in which the shop applied it (probably incorrectly) to the outside though :bash:

onehundredk

Smashin' Pumpkins
Established Member
wait its on the outside of the truck?? you need dish soap and 3-5 scrubs to break it down...if you have tint it wont matter, tint is on the inside of your window....i have a 2500hd with a lift in the back, hydraulic line snapped once...dish soap- different rags too so each time you wipe its a fresh cloth. not very fun but itll work.

446runner

Established Member
Thanks to all.
and to the tint comment......who the hell puts tint on the OUTSIDE of a window....jeesh.
I will try dish soap, I alo picked up some aamonia to try out as weel. Thanks for the help!!

446runner

Established Member

Worked like a charm, thanks guys!!

Users who are viewing this thread