7th-generation (2023) Chevrolet Camaro reportedly canceled, nameplate to die (again).

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Nope. Somebody (can't remember who) did a test where they put some Cup 2s on a GT350 Track Pack, and the TP car was still 2 seconds slower than the R. The GT PP2 runs the same Cup 2s, but it's still +/-4 seconds behind the R. Don't discount the aero and suspension tuning. People forget about (or choose to ignore) that all the time.

Forward that if you find it. Obviously depends on the track but 2 sec is a shitload. At VIR that is the dif b/w an FGT and a Zl1 1LE.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Only on the straight bits. Times and cornering data show the ZL1 doesn't quite corner as well as the GT350R. If you watch the videos on the 'Tube of owners tracking their cars, you'll see the ZL1 just doesn't have it in the corners and barely pulls away in the straights. So, "kicks the shit out of a GT350R" is quite the exaggeration. Equal drivers on a technical course, the ZL1 will never get away from the GT350R.

Not correct, ZL1 does kick the 350Rs teeth in.... and then pisses on it for good measure. Lap times don’t lie. ZL1 destroys an R in its own home (road course), let’s not even mention the strip or street.

8167F6B4-DC9F-44C6-8659-74D9710B0CCA.jpeg

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I do know that in the grand scheme of things, none of this postulating about track times mean shit.

Which car is more comfortable, better looking, sounds good, and fills your needs. An R is cool but I wouldn't daily one. ZL1 is arguably the better of the two to daily and track rat.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Not correct, ZL1 does kick the 350Rs teeth in.... and then pisses on it for good measure. Lap times don’t lie. ZL1 destroys an R in its own home (road course), let’s not even mention the strip or street.

View attachment 1582268

Interesting that you picked the longest track you could find. So, a car with way more HP/TRQ beats another car on a track that favors high HP/TRQ. Imagine that. And we're talking ZL1, not ZL1 1LE. Considering the power delta, a 1.7 second lead on a track like VIR isn't really much to brag about. How about look at the Laguna Seca times. The ZL1 is less than a second ahead and the 1LE is a whopping 1.81 seconds ahead. Or look at the Willow Springs times. So, no, the ZL1 does not "kick the shit out of the GT350R."

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting that you picked the longest track you could find. So, a car with way more HP/TRQ beats another car on a track that favors high HP/TRQ. Imagine that. And we're talking ZL1, not ZL1 1LE. Considering the power delta, a 1.7 second lead on a track like VIR isn't really much to brag about. How about look at the Laguna Seca times. The ZL1 is less than a second ahead and the 1LE is a whopping 1.81 seconds ahead. Or look at the Willow Springs times. So, no, the ZL1 does not "kick the shit out of the GT350R."

A ZL1 1LE is a ZL1. Both ZL1 trims bear the R. 1LE spec’ed ZL1 does it disgustingly. I’m talking night of heavy drinking, beer before liquor, to include engorging with expired Taco Bell diarrhea on the R.

It’s not even pretty.

R is a badass car, no doubt, but the ZL1 makes it it’s bitch.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Point is, they don't want to spend the money on Camaros and the like.

This list isn't exactly the cheapest cars on the market. Who knows how reliable of a source this is.

Top 10 Most Popular Cars for Millennials » AutoGuide.com News

And... "Let's not point fingers, it's the banks' fault"??? They're a business. They exist to make money and pay their employees/investors who also work.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Cant blame people for having their priorities in order. Or they can get the camaro/mustang and be living at home. LOL

If i was living at home, I would be driving a shitbox and saving up to GTFO.

Things have gotten so bad that all of FOMOCOs R&D budget is going to Cadillac?
Thats funny, im a car guy and cannot even name 1 cadillac car besides the CTS-V, or is it called something else now?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'd say the SS 1LE is a match for the R with the R having a slight performance advantage.The ZL1 1LE is much more of a beast than the R. Let's be honest, the R is way down on TQ/HP in comparison so no wonder.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd say the SS 1LE is a match for the R with the R having a slight performance advantage.The ZL1 1LE is much more of a beast than the R. Let's be honest, the R is way down on TQ/HP in comparison so no wonder.

I was literally just looking at these as some guy on another forum thinks there is no chance a ZL1 1LE will be slower than the new gt500. A 350R would get stomped by a ZL1 whether or not it is 1LE. Dif is 5 sec at VIR and 15 sec at the ring. Only place that it is close is Laguna but it is still ~2 sec.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I was literally just looking at these as some guy on another forum thinks there is no chance a ZL1 1LE will be slower than the new gt500. A 350R would get stomped by a ZL1 whether or not it is 1LE. Dif is 5 sec at VIR and 15 sec at the ring. Only place that it is close is Laguna but it is still ~2 sec.

It’s gonna be close, man. But I do expect the ZL1 1LE to fall to the new 500.

500 will become the new benchmark for athletic muscle.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'd say the SS 1LE is a match for the R with the R having a slight performance advantage.

You'd be wrong. The SS 1LE is closer to the standard GT350. It's over a second and a half down on the R at Laguna Seca. It's down 3 seconds at VIR.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Sorry. Ever track both an SS1LE and a GT350/R? I have.

The ZL1 punches a bit higher than the Ford's do. The ZL1 1LE even more so. The GT350/R have an advantage over the SS but it is much closer to the Ford variants. Track them and you'll see.

My blood runs as blue as anyone's but I can't deny the deficiency in the GT350/R. Fun to rev on the top end at the track but the bottom line is that the chassis is begging for more power. Ford hasn't seen fit to do that in what, 5 years now? Thankfully there is another model to cover that void.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I agree with TOB on this. I'm a blue blood, but Ford just falls behind in some areas. You do indeed get what you pay for.

Twisted2v

Established Member
No one forced a person to take out a loan and live beyond their means. Be fiscally responsible and quit blaming the banks and corporations.

There's no reason why current and future generations have to pay higher tuition. The money is going somewhere, and banks are reaping the rewards of lifetime interest.

People want Millennials to have common knowledge, but if they learn at higher education, they are not financially responsible.

Twisted2v

Established Member
Be fiscally responsible
Avoids overpriced pony car
::Shocked::

Fact is when you price out a Camaro to a Mustang it just doesn't pencil. Seems like they're almost 10k more.

Again, contradictory. Blame Millennials for a discontinuation of a car, but irresponsible if they buy a car.

The new Camaros are definitely a Baby Boomer target. Chevy probably can't figure out why the Boomers are not buying them. I see more Millennials driving them.

Users who are viewing this thread