8# of boost with Novi 1000, am I crazy to put more to it?

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
Original engine, stock except for the cam and longtubes. Made 382hp at the last dyno tune and between 8 -8.5# of boost. I'm using the original blower pulley and a 7" crank pulley. I have a smaller 3.25" blower pulley sitting on the work bench, but haven't worked up enough nerve to put it on yet. I don't know how much that would raise the boost, but I'm guessing to 9-10 pounds. Think that stock bottom end would be ok with a little more boost? Timing will always be kept in check, and my tuner likes to keep a/f 11.5-11.9.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
As long as the tune is there I feel 10-13 is about the most you can run. I ran 15-16 and was really pushin it. Every now and then I would break something but it was fun so it was worth it me!
Keep in mind I'm talking about a daily driver. Just my 0.02:beer:

Love your avatar btw! Too funny!

Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I say why push it? Your car runs fine as it is. Going for more power only leads to two thing, more money spent, and more problems.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
The pulley on it is 3.5".

Kevins89notch said:
I say why push it? Your car runs fine as it is. Going for more power only leads to two thing, more money spent, and more problems.

You are correct, good point. It always does. Some small breakage I can deal with, not in the mood to rebuild the short block right now (but I also know the consequences of adding more power, so I'd deal with it). I guess I'm trying to see if there is a huge difference between 8 or 10 pounds of boost as it relates to what the hypereutectic pistons are capable of.
I'm going to a track rental this Friday, I'm thinking at this point I'll be lucky if the rear doesn't grenade on me. But I think if it is going to, it won't matter if I have a smaller pulley on it or not.

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
fromme said:
Original engine, stock except for the cam and longtubes. Made 382hp at the last dyno tune and between 8 -8.5# of boost. I'm using the original blower pulley and a 7" crank pulley. I have a smaller 3.25" blower pulley sitting on the work bench, but haven't worked up enough nerve to put it on yet. I don't know how much that would raise the boost, but I'm guessing to 9-10 pounds. Think that stock bottom end would be ok with a little more boost? Timing will always be kept in check, and my tuner likes to keep a/f 11.5-11.9.

I was under the impresson that the Novi 1000 was only good for 5-6lbs. Did you do anything to your besides a pully change? Also, how streetable is your car with 8 or 9 lbs of boost? I really want to supercharge my 93, but dont want it to be unrelaiable. Thanks...

Frank

Teal93

I am pushing mine with 14 psi with 12.0 a/f with stock bottom end with 95,000 miles. I do not run it hard unless I am racing someone which is very rare. Timing is locked in at 19 to very safe. I still fear that I will hurt something thow. I would keep it in the 9 to 12 psi range so you dont have to worry if you are going to hurt something. Me personally I like to run on kill mode. If it breaks it breaks you can always fix it.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
big frank said:
I was under the impresson that the Novi 1000 was only good for 5-6lbs. Did you do anything to your besides a pully change? Also, how streetable is your car with 8 or 9 lbs of boost? I really want to supercharge my 93, but dont want it to be unrelaiable. Thanks...

Frank

It's good for more that 6#. That's what it comes pullied for. See my sig for what I've done. Nothing but a boost pipe and larger crank pulley. Streetable? It drives better with the LMAF and 42's than it ever did when it was stock.

And 2blown93's, that was the reassurance I was looking for. Why I'm looking for reassurance I have no idea.

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
Perfectly fine. The N1K spins safely to 55,000 rpm.

Your combo (7" crank, 3.25" pulley) would spin the blower to approx 47,000 rpm @ redline of 6200 rpm.

Thats a good pulley combo, right in the range of where you want to be.

Just wondering, is this the single belt or 8 rib blower belt system?

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
RydeOn said:
Perfectly fine. The N1K spins safely to 55,000 rpm.

Your combo (7" crank, 3.25" pulley) would spin the blower to approx 47,000 rpm @ redline of 6200 rpm.

Thats a good pulley combo, right in the range of where you want to be.

Just wondering, is this the single belt or 8 rib blower belt system?

It's the two belt, 8rib kit.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
I did, just about an hour ago. It's awesome, boost comes on sooner and higher. Too bad I voided any warranty on the head unit, but I don't care, this thing is a beast now. It's probably going to make at least 10# though. When it hit 10 I let off, don't want to do anything bad until I get back to the dyno on Thurs to check the a/f. I'm really surprised just a 1/4" smaller pulley has made such a big difference. Neat.

dannyboy76

93 teal black cloth #2853
Established Member
get a meth injection kit.. i ran 15-17 lbs on 144k stock motor for awhile. eventually pushed the head gaskets out. i would think that 10-12 with meth would be very safe.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
I know too many people that either allowed the meth container to run dry, or had the nozzle clog on them. Not good when you're tuned for the meth, and then there's no meth. Yeah, it was their fault, but right now I have a very low maintenance ride, and my wife drives it a lot too, I need to keep it very simple. Plus, I think I'm pushing it now. I'll enjoy it for a while longer. I'm sure eventually I'll get used to it, and want some more.

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
fromme said:
I did, just about an hour ago. It's awesome, boost comes on sooner and higher. Too bad I voided any warranty on the head unit, but I don't care, this thing is a beast now. It's probably going to make at least 10# though. When it hit 10 I let off, don't want to do anything bad until I get back to the dyno on Thurs to check the a/f. I'm really surprised just a 1/4" smaller pulley has made such a big difference. Neat.

wait until you feel 14 psi. :-D

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
You are pushing it. Those guys at 12+# are set on ludicrous speed and are about to go plaid.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Your shortblock is fine. It's your head gaskets I'd worry about. Either way, don't let it detonate, and no long freeway burns and you should be fine.

The stock pistons can take a lot of power, but they can't take any abuse (detonation).

I really pushed the stock long block in one of my last cars and was reasonably successful. I made 520 rwh and went 10.8 in the quarter. This was at about 17 psi with meth injection (never had any problems with it). I did end up burning piston #8, but that was a timing issue. After some forged pistons, ARPs and an F-cam I made 622 rwh at 21 lbs and went 10.55@133. Everything else still stock, on 91 pump with meth.

It's smart of you to keep checking a/f on the dyno, but you should invest in a wideband gauge. The AEM is about $250 and well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread