8# of boost with Novi 1000, am I crazy to put more to it?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
Your shortblock is fine. It's your head gaskets I'd worry about. Either way, don't let it detonate, and no long freeway burns and you should be fine.

The stock pistons can take a lot of power, but they can't take any abuse (detonation).

I really pushed the stock long block in one of my last cars and was reasonably successful. .

same here. well I pushed the stock shortblock. It saw probably around 300-400 lbs of nitrous go through it between 138k -160k miles then I put 14 psi to it until I got oil fumes from the PCV lowered the octane rating of my fuel enough to crack #8 piston

Teal93

I totally agree making 522 to tires with 14 psi. My turner said the only thing that will hurt it is detonation. But I run 50/50 mix of 91 and 110 race gas instead of the methanol injection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal93

19COBRA93 said:
Your shortblock is fine. It's your head gaskets I'd worry about. Either way, don't let it detonate, and no long freeway burns and you should be fine.

The stock pistons can take a lot of power, but they can't take any abuse (detonation).

I really pushed the stock long block in one of my last cars and was reasonably successful. I made 520 rwh and went 10.8 in the quarter. This was at about 17 psi with meth injection (never had any problems with it). I did end up burning piston #8, but that was a timing issue. After some forged pistons, ARPs and an F-cam I made 622 rwh at 21 lbs and went 10.55@133. Everything else still stock, on 91 pump with meth.

It's smart of you to keep checking a/f on the dyno, but you should invest in a wideband gauge. The AEM is about $250 and well worth it.

I totally agree. I am making 522 to the tires with 14 psi. My tuner said the only thing that will hurt it is detonation. I use a 50/50 mix of 91 and 110 race gas instead of methanol injection.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
Well in case anyone is interested, I went to the dyno today to get teh a/f checked and see what it makes now. They dyno graph shows what I had about a month ago with the original Novi pulley and today. Same exact tune, only thing done was the smaller pulley and I backed the dizzy off 2 degrees and we let er rip:

422.gif

A/F never went leaner that 12.0 and was at 11.6 at 6000 when the pull ended. Boost was 10 pounds. All I can say is freakin awesome. Especially for what little I have done to the car. I'm going to a track rental tomorrow, I'll either break it or hopefully have a good time slip. I'm gonna run some 100 octane to be safe. To have no less than 350 ft/lbs the entire run is great, I'm digging that torque curve, and I can def feel it seat of the pants.

Just for reference in case anyone is considering the Novi 1000...n/a I made 278 at the wheels (with the cam). Only thing I've done is the Novi, LMAF and 42's. All testing was done on the same dyno, same tuner. That's 144 hp at the wheels, through the cats. I'm a believer in the baby Novi.

Last edited:

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
It's smart of you to keep checking a/f on the dyno, but you should invest in a wideband gauge. The AEM is about $250 and well worth it.

You are right, I could have saved $75 and put it toward a wideband. I kept telling myself I wasn't going to do anything else and wouldn't need one. I'm considering it, but I don't like gauges in my car, the boost and fp is enough. Maybe I need to look for a good used one or something.

dannyboy76

93 teal black cloth #2853
Established Member
i have the aem widebands (2) in my car, i really helps the tuning and saftey the red yellow green lights are nice, you have a little better warning when you get close to doing bad things to your motor. and if you ever go to a standalone like the aem pnp, the gauges have output wires that you wire directly to the ecm.

Users who are viewing this thread