8 Rib Conversion for 96 Cobra

1slow4vGT

Established Member
My 04GT has been swapped with the equivalent of a 96 cobra motor (97 mk8 long block, sn cobra cams, parts, etc). I just picked up a vortech v1 kit for it, and it has an 8 rib pulley. I know I can run a 6 rib belt and not bother converting everything over, but I'm considering going 8 rib. What pulleys do I need for the AC compressor, PS pump (running the OE 04 GT pump), tensioner, and idlers? The others were included in the kit I bought.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
what year timing cover are you running? single or 3 bolt tensioner? I believe that's what will determine what pullies are needed (plus the correct WP pulley, theres a short and a long snout, I cant remember which pump is which)

1slow4vGT

Established Member
what year timing cover are you running? single or 3 bolt tensioner? I believe that's what will determine what pullies are needed (plus the correct WP pulley, theres a short and a long snout, I cant remember which pump is which)
3 bolt.

I've got the crank, water pump, and alternator pullies.

96dreamer

Established Member
I pulled everything from an early 2000's f150, might have been the 5.4 been a while. Tensioner I spaced out to get the pulley in the middle of the belt and idlers I left alone.

4vgt

Established Member
I am doing the same thing now. The parts list I ordered is:

Dorman 300-006 - Power steering​

Motorcraft GP720 - Alternator

Dorman 594-112 - Crank​

Dorman 419-612 - Tensioner pulley​

Ford F6TZ-8509-AA, Water Pump​

Denso 471-8121- A/C compressor with 8-rib (my compressor is locked up)​

While researching this, I have read that the alternator pulley needs ground down and it’s hit or miss if the water pump and tensioner pulley are needed. I plan on using washers to space out the Procharger and tensioner pulley. I will let you know if all of this works out.

Users who are viewing this thread