8 rib vortech pulley swap

Thor24

Established Member
i have an 01 cobra with a vortech v2 sc. the belt slips pretty bad on it and have been looking into an 8 rib pulley setup. have done some research and found people saying they use a 5.4l f150 pulleys except for the blower pulley which cuts the price over half. Does anyone have updated part numbers? been looking for awhile to see a list of it and cant find anything somewhat new. if im missing this could you post the link to that thread please. any help is appreciated
thanks

Brutal Metal

Established Member
what size pulley is on the Vortech and how much boost are you seeing? I don't have any slip with 13lbs 6 rib... How's the condition of your stock tensioner?

Thor24

Established Member
Not sure on my blower pulley size. I'll check later on today. I have 14lbs with a 6 rib and you can hear the belt screaming at higher rpms. Would a thump tensioner help this out? Priced them around 375 didn't want to have to spend that if its not going to solve the issue

01yellercobra

Established Member
How old is the belt? They don't last as long with blower set ups. I think the longest I went on a belt was 10K. Unless you changed timing covers you have the single bolt tensioner. Those are about $450 from Thump. But if you decide to go that route I have one I'm selling. But I'd start with the easy/cheap stuff first like a new belt and stock style tensioner.

Carbon Driven

Established Member
Yea sounds like a belt issue. I am running 6 rib on the 3.6" vortech stock pulley and stock lower barely pushing 8 lbs and 602 hp to the wheel with no slip at all

Thor24

Established Member
First off appreciate the feedback. I'm not big into mechanical stuff so any info is appreciated. But when I had it dynod last year it had a tighter belt put on it. Helped the belt from slipping at 4k to around 5400 rpms. It hasn't had 10k miles on it though i don't drive it much. How much are you selling the thump tensioner for? From what I've looked into the stock tensioner is an automatic spring loaded tensioner right? Was told that was an issue with tightening it down. Is the thump one adjustable?
Carbon driver how are you making 602 rwhp with 8 lbs? I'm running 14 and made like 480 with belt slip. Is there something I'm missing? I have comp cams, gears, exhaust, 55lb injectors and had it tuned when it got dynod. Also I heard about a greenback belt? Think that was the name.

Last edited:

Thor24

Established Member
Car sounds sick as hell. I have a differnt bypass valve on mine so it sounds insanely loud. Looking into changing that out in the near future. It sounds like a jet basically even at idle. I think I'm either missing something or my belt slipping is killing the power a lot more then what I think. You guys are saying to check into an aftermarket tensioner and belt before potentially swapping to an 8 rib set up?

01yellercobra

Established Member
We're saying swap a new belt and stock replacement tensioner first. I ran a 6 rib at 14psi on a D1. I didn't swap to an 8 rib until I ran a Vortech T trim at max rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread