87 Grand National worth saving?

silverstang84

Established Member
Drives me insane when people can't even put a cover on a decent car when parking it for long periods of time. Even a $30 Walmart cover would have done wonders to preserve the paint.

As others have said, if you can get it cheap, go ahead. You could even swap the motor and trans into another G-body if the underside is rusted out.

I believe that it's better to store a car outside without a cover. Covers tend to trap dirt, loosen up and flap against the car in the wind. Left long enough without attention, a loose cover can wear the paint off of a car. Happened to a buddies fox body stang. Keeping the car clean and waxed is better for the paint IMO.

Steve@Tasca

That car sat so long I'd squirt some oil in each cylinder before I tried to crank it over. I assume there is probably still on old oil style oil pump that you can prime with a drill. Probably a cam sensor over it. If so I'd do that too just to be super safe. Nice find.

Right idea there, the Buick oil pump is driven off the front of the cam so it should be easy to access from the front of the motor.

Disconnect the orange wire going to the battery and crank it (won't spark) to get the oil circulating. Check the trunk code for G80 - positraction option. Really doesn't look bad at all, back seats look mint, the interior should clean up nice. What are your plans with it now?

I wouldn't crank it over without oiling the cylinders and priming the oiling system as mentioned above.

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread