87 Grand National worth saving?

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
Alright I went and looked at an 87 grand natty yesterday and it was in pretty bad shape. Was parked in 96 and left there with 110k on the clock so of course it doesn't run. Interior was pretty shot other than the seats which I thought was amazing. No rust on the body and it was straight with no dents. Hard to tell about the underside.

Paint was ruined I've never seen clear coat peel and look like candle wax on the side of a car. Missing both bumper fillers and front grill was broken.

What you guys think it's worth? I was honestly thinking $500

20140414_094433_zps22b8eeee.jpg

20140414_094420_zps5a8825b8.jpg

20140414_094412_zps1e0361e1.jpg

20140414_094452_zpsf0d09b03.jpg

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If you can get it for $500.00 take it and make some money. Those cars are appreciating in value. If it was me I'd probably pay a little more just to secure the car in my possession. If there's no rust as you state it wouldn't take too much to get it right. You'd be able to either enjoy it or make some money off of it.

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
Always wanted one so I wouldn't be trying to flip it. Would like to fix it up and enjoy it. Non t top car so even more valuable.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
They are legendary. Pick it up for $500 and restore it. They are going up in value each and every day.

Rosoo

Established Member
It's a normal grand national. You won't make much money off of this. More than 20 thousand of these were made in 87. It's not a bad pick up for 500, but don't expect to have some sort of classic that will be hard to find later on.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I like the notch in the first picture better in the background ;-)

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
Lol the notch is mine and I'm pretty sure the underside is rusted out big time

oldmodman

Established Member
Yes. it is worth saving.

But what level of saving are you talking about?
Cheap repaint to keep it from getting worse? Or a body off total concours restoration?
If you just want to keep it a survivor it will take fifty years to become really valuable.
But if you fix it up enough to make it a fun driver that would probably be the best way to go.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
If no rust, I would say go for it. Yes, it is not going to be a six figure car down the road but it is a collectible in my mind.

wht93gted

Established Member
If something were sitting on the ground like that up here in Jersey, I could guarantee the underside is completely rusted through.
Hell, my 93 was parked on dirt for 2 years, and the rust in just that time was astonishing. There's so much moisture in the ground.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
If something were sitting on the ground like that up here in Jersey, I could guarantee the underside is completely rusted through.
Hell, my 93 was parked on dirt for 2 years, and the rust in just that time was astonishing. There's so much moisture in the ground.

my BMW sat in the woods in PA for 6 years and it has no rot underneath. He's in NC so he might be okay

but its still a valid point though, check the underside. If the car actually is rot free, its totally worth buying. Hell even if it is a rot box, buy it and part it out or swap the parts onto a regular G body. Maybe even an el camino!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
my BMW sat in the woods in PA for 6 years and it has no rot underneath. He's in NC so he might be okay

but its still a valid point though, check the underside. If the car actually is rot free, its totally worth buying. Hell even if it is a rot box, buy it and part it out or swap the parts onto a regular G body. Maybe even an el camino!

El Grand Camino National....LOL has a nice ring to it.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
If you can get it for $500 and don't want it, send me the info and I'll come buy it. You could flip that for 1-2 grand easy. A nice running one will bring 10-15. REALLY nice low mileage ones will fetch a little more.

toomanytoys

Established Member
Not worth saving. That is a parts car at best. These cars are known for rotting in the rear passenger side frame. It will cost so much just to get that car running again its not worth it. Ive owned them and can tell you from past experience. If you really want one you can try the Turbo Regal websites there are a number of nice ones for under 10k. This car will cost twice that just to be reliable and it wont be worth anything down the road. Only the all original ones with less than 30k miles on them have any real value.

If you are set on getting it I can give you a list af what is going to be needed in order to get it running right.

Either way good luck

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
Crunching the numbers it's 1 of 1900 being a sunroof car so there is some value in that. If he will take $500 I'll snatch it

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Alright I went and looked at an 87 grand natty yesterday and it was in pretty bad shape. Was parked in 96 and left there with 110k on the clock so of course it doesn't run. Interior was pretty shot other than the seats which I thought was amazing. No rust on the body and it was straight with no dents. Hard to tell about the underside.

Paint was ruined I've never seen clear coat peel and look like candle wax on the side of a car. Missing both bumper fillers and front grill was broken.

What you guys think it's worth? I was honestly thinking $500

20140414_094433_zps22b8eeee.jpg

20140414_094420_zps5a8825b8.jpg

20140414_094412_zps1e0361e1.jpg

20140414_094452_zpsf0d09b03.jpg

I always thought these were one of the coolest ****in cars. and thats saying something for me considering its a GM.

Users who are viewing this thread