911 vs. 03 vs. SRT4

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
On my way home a few nights back from a friends house, driving down Pacific Coast Hwy, not really paying attention when a dark blue SRT4 comes zooming up, pauses briefly, then zips off. I wasn't really in a racing mood, then a new silver 911 Carrerra S something goes cruising by, appearently after the SRT and completely oblivious to the Cobra.

Well now, we can't let that happen without some Ford representation.

Long story short, I lost both through some light traffic (stuck behind a slow driver :mad: ). 10 minutes later come up to a 3 lane intersection which narrows down to 2 lanes and guess who are are in the first two lanes. The SRT sees me coming and graciously moves over into the 3rd lane to give me center spot :beer:

Light goes and we're off. I produce probably the single best launch since i've own the car, completely to my suprise. Spinning somewhat through first, I put a car on the SRT and the Porsche. Bang second and still have fair traction, the SRT is hanging well but fading; the Porsche not so well. Going into 3rd, where we all let off, I had 2+ cars on the SRT. The Porsche was absolutly obliterated by both the Neon and I. :rockon:

Congrats to the Dodge; those SRT4's put up a supprisingly good fight- about as well, if not a tad better than a stock C5.

Jamie33

Up in smoke
Established Member
Originally posted by 03SoCalCobra

Congrats to the Dodge; those SRT4's put up a supprisingly good fight- about as well, if not a tad better than a stock C5.

sweet run :thumbsup:

but a SRt-4 is nowhere near a c5 stock.

99GTP guy

Established Member
Good kill on the porsche and neon. But I agree with Jamies post. sorry but you gotta be on drugs to think an stock srt is just as fast or faster than a stock C5. SRT viper, of course. SRT Neon, maybe if you gave the vette two flat tires and had ozzy osborne driving.

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
Originally posted by 99GTP guy
Good kill on the porsche and neon. But I agree with Jamies post. sorry but you gotta be on drugs to think an stock srt is just as fast or faster than a stock C5. SRT viper, of course. SRT Neon, maybe if you gave the vette two flat tires and had ozzy osborne driving.

Hahahaha:lol: ...I dont get it:??:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member

I think he was saying that the SRT-4 hung with him as good as a stock C5 would've...which to me indicates that the SRT was nicely-tuned/modded.

Either way, the Porsche driver must've been in some shock, getting destroyed by not only a Mustang, but a Neon to boot...at the same time!!

1sweet00SS

Established Member
But I agree with Jamies post. sorry but you gotta be on drugs to think an stock srt is just as fast or faster than a stock C5. SRT viper, of course. SRT Neon, maybe if you gave the vette two flat tires and had ozzy osborne driving.

I somewhat agree, stock for stock LS1 is faster than a SRT, but I don't think two flat tires and Ozzy driving will be necessary. Put $750 into the SRT , and it'll be running with stock LS1s.

BTW, good kills :D

Last edited:

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
if you are talking about the new carrera 4s it should have stomp the srt-4, " maybe the srt-4 " has some mod's and that's why it was putting a good fight up with you, now i can see a stock 2003 cobra walking the carrera 4s, well good kill's :beer:

Jamie33

Up in smoke
Established Member
guys im not saying the SRT-4 was stock...

all im saying is the stock SRT-4 should not be compared to a stock C5...since the c5 is much quicker and a completely different car.

im sure with some BPU upgrades, the SRT-4 could be a quick little car

if the post had read "that SRT-4 pulled me harder than most c5's"
i would have not brougth this up

IE Evo

Established Member
Srt-4s are going to surprise lots of people that don't drive the 03 Cobra. Everything else better come with mods cause the car is light and from a roll they are sick and are going to bruise some egos if they are modded.

chrisle7220

Established Member
For the price, the Srt-4 is a great buy. My friend got his Srt-4 fully loaded for 21k. He has a Mopar BOV on it and it sounds like a beast. He is nowhere near beating me, but i have to admit they are pretty quick cars. If i had 20k to spend i would definitely get one. In his car we have burned numerous imports and even some stock mustang gt's. LS1's will eat him by a good 1.5-2carlenghts. It may just be a neon, but dont take them for granted if you see one next to you at a light.

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Good kills.

Let's not get into these hypothetical arguements.

"Run what you brung."

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the SRT4 was probably modded.

It did have at least a different exhaust and I don't recall hearing the stock BOV as I did in with this one, but I have very limitied exposure to them so who knows. In any event, the one I did race before didn't hang nearly this well which is why I was suprised.

And don't get your panties in a wad- keep in mind it was just to the bottom of 3rd; a very short race. Stock 0-60, the C5 is 4.9 sec and the Dodge 5.2-5.3 sec.. So a modded SRT4 should be able to keep up easily with a C5 (or stock 03/04) through the first 2 to 3 gears, then the real winner will emerge fairly quickly.

jleews6

Established Member
I wish I could have seen the porshe drivers face when a dodge neon started to walk away.:lol:
I would love to have one because I would have it way in the 12s in the first week.

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by 03SoCalCobra
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the SRT4 was probably modded.

It did have at least a different exhaust and I don't recall hearing the stock BOV as I did in with this one, but I have very limitied exposure to them so who knows. In any event, the one I did race before didn't hang nearly this well which is why I was suprised.

And don't get your panties in a wad- keep in mind it was just to the bottom of 3rd; a very short race. Stock 0-60, the C5 is 4.9 sec and the Dodge 5.2-5.3 sec.. So a modded SRT4 should be able to keep up easily with a C5 (or stock 03/04) through the first 2 to 3 gears, then the real winner will emerge fairly quickly.

That pretty much clears everything up. Good kills nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread