95 Cobra R Battery

cobrarj

Established Member
My Battery on my 95 R went out. Kept it charged but car only has 400 miles Replaced it with a Motorcraft battery .Would like to possibly save to keep for originality. at the car shows.not lose points because of replacement battery. Is there any way to reactivate Battery to get some power back into itThanks John

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
John:

There are companies that rebuild batteries. Check with the battery companies in your area. They should be able refer you to someone if they can't help you?

Good Luck!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Originally posted by cobrarj
My Battery on my 95 R went out. Kept it charged but car only has 400 miles Replaced it with a Motorcraft battery .Would like to possibly save to keep for originality. at the car shows.not lose points because of replacement battery. Is there any way to reactivate Battery to get some power back into itThanks John

I had checked on this issue with my local battery company a year or so ago. I asked about emptying all of the old electrolite out, flushing it, and re-filling it. They said, it is not as much a problem with the electrolite as it is the deteriorated plates. Keeping a battery tender on the battery when the car is not in use is best.

As for rebuilding an original, they said that most, if not all of the companies that did rebuild batteries in the past are no longer do so. The EPA and other government regulations reguarding hazardous materials have made the battery rebuilding business not profitable. That was my local battery co., maybe yours has a different source.

They recomended that I drain and flush my current/correct battery and keep it as a "correct looking core" to be placed in the car for show purposes and replaced with a working battery at the end on the show.

Robert

Last edited:

HPLouis

Established Member
I have a question. Can you go to the Ford dealership and get another one? Would the delaership be able to sell you the same one if you took the number off of it? Isn't it a BX-58C or something like that?

I want to know because I replaced my battery and I didn't want to keep an old battery sitting in the basement so I returned it as a core. I was under the assumption that I could just go to the dealership and get a replacement battery that is the exact same one that came in the car.

Thanks
Henry

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
FWIW, I rarely drive my '95R and have almost 1,000 miles on it now. Everytime I park it, I disconnect the battery with a simple quick disconnect I put on one battery terminal. All it takes is a turn of the knob and power is cut. I have no electric in the garage where the car is kept, so this seems to be my best option. My original battery is still going...

Super easy to install, or remove.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Originally posted by HPLouis
I have a question. Can you go to the Ford dealership and get another one? Would the delaership be able to sell you the same one if you took the number off of it? Isn't it a BX-58C or something like that?

I want to know because I replaced my battery and I didn't want to keep an old battery sitting in the basement so I returned it as a core. I was under the assumption that I could just go to the dealership and get a replacement battery that is the exact same one that came in the car.

Thanks
Henry

Henry - The Ford dealer can get a Motorcraft replacement however, it is not the same. Yes, it fits and does the same job as the original but the appearance is different. The original 95R battery is a BX-58C. I believe the replacement has a BXT-58C, I don't remember for sure. But that is not a big deal. The real visual difference is the case, both top and sides. The original battery has "an eye" on the top with the phosphorus showing red or green for the batteries condition. The replacement Motorcraft does not. On the sides of the original there is MOTORCRAFT molded into the battery with a checkerboad look on the small sides. The replacements have smooth sides all the way around and a "sticker" that says "Motorcraft". The 93R battery and the 2000R battery are not BX-58C's and are different from each other.

Also - The original date the battery was manuf. is heat stamped/melted into the top of most of these original batteries.

Robert

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
An option for the 93R owners who have let their original Motorcraft battery core get away. The BXT-59 and BXT-59 540 is currently being installed in the Mustang and Ranger. I have seen it in the '03's and '04's. Some of the coded date stamps are on the side rail of the battery and not visible from the top. This battery will look correct in the 93R. You would have to have an inside contact at a Ford dealership who would swap a replacement Motorcraft battery out and give you the assembly line battery out of the car on their lot.

I have not looked into the applications that might be using the battery that is correct for the 2000R. It is different than the other two R's. It also uses a battery heat shield/blanket that fits its outer dimensions.

Robert

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Damn, I wish I knew before I got rid of mine.

Henry - It's not the end of the world, many Mustangs (and probably other Fords) came with this same BX-58C. The thing is, that it will probably have to be an empty core for shows and will most likely not be of a correct date. I really don't think the date coding is as important as the battery look itself. Even if you had a brand new Motorcraft BX-58C assy. line battery right now, it would not be usable to start the car at some point in the future. The main issue is finding a used battery with a nice "showable label" on top. The liquids many times will separate the label and cause a lifting look of the protective outer clear finish.

Robert

cobrarj

Established Member
Replacement Battery

Robert is there any Fords that use the same battery as the 95 R let me know. I wish there was a way to get my old battery going again. I know the Boss 429 owners that are restoring the Boss cars have reactivated their batteries the original ones not the replicas. Hope to find out how they do it. Thanks

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Re: Replacement Battery

Originally posted by cobrarj
Robert is there any Fords that use the same battery as the 95 R let me know. I wish there was a way to get my old battery going again. I know the Boss 429 owners that are restoring the Boss cars have reactivated their batteries the original ones not the replicas. Hope to find out how they do it. Thanks

I have not checked into the current use of the 95R battery. I will alert my friend who dealer preps the cars at the local Ford dealer to watch for the "58" battery.

As for the 29 series battery used in the trunk mount BOSS429 application, I thought I had heard that there was a reproduction source for the group 29.

The problem I can see in the future for reproduction batteries in these R cars is the different batteries used in such a short period of time. The vintage cars basically used the the 24F and in some cases the 27F. This was the case for most of the 60's and thru 71 and the change from Autolite to Motorcraft for 72. The reproduction batteries are high priced, $160 for a group 27F. The Mustangs of recent history are know to have had at least the three different batteries used in the R's and that was over a 7 year period. I don't know if all of the different variations of battery numbers/sizes will be reproduced. It all depends upon future demand.

One more thought on the BOSS429 group 29F. Did I see a set of battery caps for this trunk mount application go for $1000 + or - just recently on e-bay. I know they are application specific with the vent tubes to keep the battery fumes out of the trunk area, but $1000, OUCH!!

Robert

Last edited:

HPLouis

Established Member
I have another question relating to originality. I'm very curious becuase I didn't know that it got this in-depth as to cover batteries. What happens with tires? What about belts, clutches, and other wear items? I remember a friend of mine actually saving the belt from his car because he said that the shows check the numbers on the belt for originality. Is this true?

Thanks,
Henry

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have another question relating to originality. I'm very curious becuase I didn't know that it got this in-depth as to cover batteries. What happens with tires? What about belts, clutches, and other wear items? I remember a friend of mine actually saving the belt from his car because he said that the shows check the numbers on the belt for originality. Is this true?

Thanks,
Henry

Yes Henry, any part that has a visible part number and can be authenticated to a specific year, vehicle and application matters for future show judging. You ask about tires and other rubber items. These R's that we are currently talking about will be a vintage car one day, in fact it has been discussed on another forum, "when is a late model car a vintage car"? Yes a 93 Cobra is in the "late model catagory", but is it a late model? But back to your original rubber goods question. The 100 point vintage show cars don't have radials. They have bias-plys of correct size and manufacturer for their respective year. The reproduction hoses are inkstamped with the correct numbers and date codes to look "as-new" when the car left the assy. line. Now we get back to the many, many differences between what was available for the vintage car(s) when new, and the items within the last 10-15 years. Tires for instance, there are so many tire sizes available for the many different performance cars that have been built that I can in no way see them reproducing each and every size and type for every individual application to make a correct restoration in the future. There are three different tire sizes and two different brands between the three Cobra R's. In the vintage world the Ford's, GM's and Mopars for many years used basically two tire vendors (Firestone and Goodyear) for their raised white letter option tires. Most used either an F60X15 or a F or E 70X14. Very simple. Todays tire reproduction tire companies can reproduce basically 3-5 sizes and this covers 90%+ of the factory muscle cars. On the other hand, todays cars (the vintage muscle cars of the future) seem to have a different (wider and or shorter) tire every year. I can't see tires of every size and profile being reproduced in the future for every car to have a correct copy as new. There are just too many. It will be a real chore to restore these "late model cars" when the time comes.

I am currently looking into the serpentine belt issue for each R. Once the belt has a few hundered miles on it, the factory info. starts to wear away and is gone forever. I have not gotton an answer yet on the YR3V 8620 BA belt used on the 00R.

I saw you also mentioned the clutch. Many guys like the feel of an original clutch. Some others like it to be stiffer that factory. A clutch is not seen by a show judge. There is no part number or look for him to visually identify as correct or not correct. It is a hidden part. However things like shifters and shift knobs are visible and will draw deductions for being incorrect if the judge knows the type of car he is judging.

I had stated at the top of this post that "100 point vintage show cars have bias-plys" on them. I need to mention that radials were in there "early days" back in this era and some cars, especially in the early '70s got radials installed on them, however, to be correct for the car, these radials have to be "era correct" and of the correct size. This radial option tire info. usually will either be shown on the dealer bill of sale as a dealer installed option or the factory invoice as an option, either at N/C or additional charge.

Robert

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I know that the 93 Cobra and Cobra R's (and all Mustangs for that matter) have a date code stamped into the original radiator hose.

How many people still have those?

cobrarj

Established Member
R Hoses

Whats up Mark by the way the Recaro Seat that I got from you for my track car fit perfect will order another one for the passenger side as soon as I finish the engine and the Tremec 600 On my show car #10 of250 I only have 460 miles everything hasnt been touched or changed .I was inquiring about the battery on this post because I would like to keep it all original so when it becomes a vintage car some day .It will be correct but I am not finding a way to restore the battery that went dead got one from Ford but its a little different Later John

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 93SVTCobra
I know that the 93 Cobra and Cobra R's (and all Mustangs for that matter) have a date code stamped into the original radiator hose.

How many people still have those?

Like I had mentioned previously, dates are important, but the original part numbers are more important, many times the dates are coded and and only the people in the know can read them. There could be many superceding part numbers issued for replacement parts (as there has been for many other Ford parts over the years) as new applications are produced and the old, correct, original part number is now replaced with a year or years newer all inclusive part number.

If you own a car and the original hoses are still available from Ford now, a good idea would be to buy a hose of matching part number now or in the near future. If you really want to keep 100% correct, replace the correct/dated hose (if it is in good condition), flush the cooling system, and replace the original 100% correct hoses with replacement Motorcraft hoses.

BTW-My contact at Ford tells me there is no cross-over for the 2000R YR3V 8620 BA serpentine belt. That means if I continue to use my car and wear the original markings off of the belt, I will have to turn to the aftermarket - Gates, Goodyear, Dayco etc. for a belt to serve the purpose but will not have any Ford markings. Another words, will stick out like a sore thumb as being incorrect at car shows when the car is judged. All of this is not so important now, but it will get much more important as time moves on.

Robert

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
A couple more things about dating of parts. In general parts are dated 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 months prior to the cars build/invoice date. As I had mentioned, many, if not most date info. listed on a part is coded. On a rare occassion you might see a complete year or the two digit year but many times not. I see 093 on my Goodyear Eagle ZR's. I would assume that D.O.T. date says they are correct for my 1993 Cobra R. Yes they are correct, but actually the date code is the 9th week (09) of 1993 and the last digit only is the year, 3 for 1993. The D.O.T. date 093. It is the same with the BFG's Comp. T/A's on the 95R. I have found that correct date ranges can be 494 thru 025 so far. This tranalated is: 49th week of 1994 thru the 2nd week of 1995. Ford parts usually, but not always have a longer date string, sometimes including shift and plant info. I have been woking on correct tire info. recently, that is why this is fresh on my mind.

It's always exciting!!

Robert

HPLouis

Established Member
Robert,
I called my dealership and they told me that they have a BX-58C sitting around. I asked them if it was really a BX-58C or a BXT-58C or any other strange number. They confirmed that it is a BX-58C.

Would this be different than the battery that I threw away?

Henry

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert,
I called my dealership and they told me that they have a BX-58C sitting around. I asked them if it was really a BX-58C or a BXT-58C or any other strange number. They confirmed that it is a BX-58C.

Would this be different than the battery that I threw away?

Henry

Henry - The original battery has MOTORCRAFT molded into the long sides of the case, and an "eye" on the top. The sticker that is on the top is black and white only.

The replacement battery has no MOTORCRAFT letters molded on the long sides of the plastic case and no "eye" on top. The replacement battery stickers have red lettering on them and are not black and white only like the original assy. line battery. These multi colored stickers are on the top and long sides of the replacement Motorcraft battery.

Original battery caps - I have seen some of the original assy. line batteries with "MOTORCRAFT" molded on the original two battery caps and some are flat with no lettering. The 93 is where I have noticed these battery caps in both forms.

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread