95 Cobra R wheel questions.

BlkVnm512

Smitty's is better
Established Member
Did the 95 Cobra R's ever come with chrome wheels?
I am looking at a set of Cobra R Wheels that are said to be original. My buddy said that he purchased them from Ford back in 95 or 96? for ~$2,500, so I'm thinking they may be FRPP wheels and not off of an original car. Still in boxes/wrapping with the "R" center caps. My question is that after searching Google, Ive yet to see any original 95 R's with chrome wheels on them, they all appear to be the standard gray(?) finish. Was this only an FRPP option to get them in chrome, or was chrome wheels an option for 95 R's when ordering? Trying to find out how much these are worth for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :beer:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
No.

Chrome was a catalog item only. To be real they must have raised lettering on each side of the valve stem. Otherwise, they are copies.

Tom

BlkVnm512

Smitty's is better
Established Member
No.

Chrome was a catalog item only. To be real they must have raised lettering on each side of the valve stem. Otherwise, they are copies.

Tom

So what would be the value of this set of rims?

Thanks for the quick reply!

EDIT: Looks like there is some kind of raised lettering by the stem?? Reads "JLL(?) VIA 620KG"

DavidWheels.gif

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Back in the day you could order a set from Ford Racing that were chromed. I used to have an old catalog somewhere. I'll have to see if I can dig it up in my spare time.

flattrack53

Established Member
I bet you back in 95-96, FRPP wheels weren't even a $150 each... Sounds like your buddy is trying to get one over on you.

guitarman

Established Member
Cobra r wheels

Copies???

My Cobra R was built 2/95

Wheel markings 12/94, hindonex, made in japan....no lettering around valve stem.

What gives?

No.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Copies???

Wheel markings 12/94, hindonex, made in japan....no lettering around valve stem.

What gives?

I'm not going to say they didn't exist, but all R rims I have ever seen have the small lettering on each side of the valve stem.

Tom

Established Member
I've got my originals on the car and also purchased a set from ford. If I get to the shop tomorrow I will look. the originals were not chrome, but I think ford motorsport had an option. I paid 160 each for my spare set from ford.

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
:shrug: I have two sets at the shop that I KNOW came off 95Rs so I will take a look at those tomorrow also and throw in my two cents worth.

94LSVT

I have a set of FRPP R58s in the pic above and they have stamped letters on both sides of the valve stem AND say "made in japan" on the back side of the spoke.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Copies???

What gives?

Not sure.

Are you the original owner? The date, hinodex and made in japan are all correct for original rims.

I have seen a lot of original Rs and all had the raised letters on each side of the valve stem.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread